Sign in to follow this  
Glynn

FSX New Airfraft - Slow to pick up?

Guest hypersonic

Hi there,Just a casual observation, Is it me, or is it that even though FSX has been out a year now??? That despite this, the ratio of New aircraft & repaints etc, still seem to be massively favoured towards FS2004 still??Is there a reason for this? Are people NOT taking up FSX as quickly as M$ had hoped? - Have M$ screwed with Forward compatibility, such that FS2004 aircraft won't fly correctly, if at all, in FSX?Just interested in your thoughts / oppinions .. & reasons...Many thanksHyper

The developers at Eaglesoft explained it as clearly as I've seen. FSX is a moving target at the moment. We had RTM, then SP1, then Acceleration/SP2, and finally a standalone SP2. In nearly every version, changes have been made. Some are/were for the better and some for the worse.Once SP2 has been released, developers will have the final code for FSX and can go about the arduous task of completing projects that have been planned for some time. As no further development is being done in FSX from ACES, the target will remain at rest and perhaps we'll finally see some issues resolved.Regards,Jim Karn

Another point that needs to be made is that a lot of the FS2004 repaints work in FSX.For example, all of the iFDG (A318/A319/A320) repaints work fine in FSX.So when you see 15 "FS2004 Repaints" in the new uploads, that might as well read "FSX repaints", too.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Thanks Jim, you hit the nail on the head. For those who are unaware, the path to true FSX development has been a rocky one for all developers since FSX RTM last year.It is hoped that the path to true FSX/DX10 development can proceed quickly once the standalone SP2 is released.There is a lot of misunderstanding and confusion when it comes to defining a true FSX/DX10 product in comparison to FS9 projects being "ported" to FSX and sold as "dual sim versions".Those who sell so called "dual sim versions" are, in our view, contributing to the confusion and may run into real issues when DX10 becomes the "way forward" for simmers. Another factor is the use of Vista OS as the only source for DX10. This along with FSX/SP2 and FSX/DX10 "preview" and a new SDK will surely take more time to sort thru before developers can come up with new or fresh content.Hope this helps:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

A lot of people who prefer airliners and other large aircraft have stuck with FS9, for performance reasons. This may also explain why so many repaint authors are sticking with the previous version ;)

Guest Doods

Well i don't have any problem with fs04 planes in fsx every plane i tried to put in FSX worked...BUT there shouldn't be any backward compatibility.lets hope they move on with FS11......

Guest DreamFleet

We're just waiting for FSX to "settle down", and it will with the release of SP2.We were not going to throw "good money after bad" chasing it over the last year or so. We waited, and so did many of our customers, as evidenced by our FS9 sales.Once we have a final platform to deal with (SP2, and not just in Acceleration, but the free SP2) we'll start porting stuff in / releasing new products for it.Having been at DevCon in November and having spoken at length with folks from ACES, and while I am under NDA concerning the specifics of that, I am none-the-less quite certain that after SP2 you will start to see a flow of new and previous FS9 stuff start to make its way into FSX. :)Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

"Dreamfleet flowing is a good thing-hope a certain beechcraft will be spilling out! :-)"I'm with you Geof on that, a model 55 and G58 would fit both our bills... but I would have to buy another set of throttle levers for my PFC stuff!

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Hi Geof,We are having another baby in June and my wife made me promise I wouldn't buy a plane for a year :(. Now the date I made that promise was in November so I'm counting the days ;).

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

>A lot of people who prefer airliners and other large aircraft>have stuck with FS9, for performance reasons. This may also>explain why so many repaint authors are sticking with the>previous version ;)Along with what Ron has already stated, and has been reiterated here, I think your post is 'on the mark' IMO.I also believe the folks who enjoy the 'big iron' prefer FS9 for reasons that do not make it as attractive to us GA guys who fly lower and slower and into smaller airports.We (GA guys) just see the benefits of FSX, and seem able to deal (accept) with lower frame rates for the eye candy the version delivers.Interesting to watch was when Eaglsoft released their Twin Comanche, (a really great aircraft that seems to 'grow on me' every time I climb into it), while visiting the Eaglesoft Forum. The threads in the FSX section equaled that of the FS9 version fairly quickly for a product that was released fairly close to one another (the FS9 version released first). I'm not yet convinced that would have been the case if we were talking about a 'big iron' release for both FS versions.

Guest DreamFleet

Once we get our forthcoming (my) Piper Dakota into FSX, the FSX porting order is planned to be: Archer III, A36, Baron 58.We just need the free FSX SP2 to come out (I do expect before Christmas) so we know exactly what we have to deal with.Of course, this is always subject to change. Ya' know I say something in public and some folks think that I am making a "promise".I just state our plan, nothing more, and as we have learned things get in the way to mess up plans!As to a G36 and G58, watch out, you might be surprised ;)Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg