Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gunner_CAF

Great Landing! Huh? What?

Guest Desert Flyer

This flight was a free flight attempt from Reno to Susanville.

My advice is to spend some time flying a pattern at a small airport and practice touch-and-go's. Also, read up on landing procedures in the "Learning Center" and take some of the Rob Macado flight lessons. Then practice some more.My landings are still a little rough, but I'm getting better. My biggest problem is getting lined up with the runway. I'm usually making small corrections all the way down to the tarmac, but I still get the plane on the ground in one piece. It's a far cry from the "good ol' days" when every flight would end with a crash!

Guest ronht

To better judge your 'height' above touchdown use the virtual cockpit view and look at the far end of the runway as you approach the flare rather than the spot you want to touch down on. ron

Guest Desert Flyer

Small corrections are far ahead of where Im at with landings. I figure if I can just land somewhere in the airport then Im making some progress in landing right now. For me to land on a run way when the sim doesn't already have me pre lined up with the runway has been one of my biggest obstacles, The few times that I've managed to get the plane lined up with the middle of the runway, I'm not at a low enough altitude and the plane doesn't touch down until near to the middle or end of the runway, at which point I have to take off again since I know theres no way that I'm going to be able to stop before the end of the runway. So now I concentrate more on just being able to place the plane on the ground anywhere in the airport whether that be on the side of the runway, or in the grass field in the airport, or running across the runways, doesn't really matter at this point, just trying to get it to land and still have enough space to stop is my priority right now..>My advice is to spend some time flying a pattern at a small>airport and practice touch-and-go's. Also, read up on landing>procedures in the "Learning Center" and take some of the Rob>Macado flight lessons. >Then practice some more.>>My landings are still a little rough, but I'm getting better. >My biggest problem is getting lined up with the runway. I'm>usually making small corrections all the way down to the>tarmac, but I still get the plane on the ground in one piece. >It's a far cry from the "good ol' days" when every flight>would end with a crash!

Go hop in the cessna and practice at X68. Shuttle landing facility. Nice 15,000 ft runway to play with and not alot of scenery clutter so stuff runs pretty smooth.Have you tried any of the lessons yet? They are a big help if your not very familiar with procedures and what not so you do stuff in the correct order which makes things alot easier.Daveo ESSB

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

>I think it's really hard to land in spot view.>Thats a surprise. For me landing in spot view is totally easy. I can drop a 747 onto meigs from spotview and its not even challenging, but to do it from the cockpit is quie difficult for me. From spot view I can land and bring it to a stop using only 40% of the runway. No way I can do that from the cockpit. http://sio.midco.net/FTP4/747.jpg

>For me to land on>a run way when the sim doesn't already have me pre lined up>with the runway has been one of my biggest obstacles...You've not said if you've taken any of the lessons available in the game's "Learning Center". They feature full voice recordings of the very personable real-life flight instructor Rob Macado and are actually very well done. Macado explains to you different techniques and procedures which are demonstrated in-game, and then you have the opportunity to practice them yourself. If you've not gone through them then I highly recommend that you do.

Guest Desert Flyer

Sorry, I thought I had mentioned it already, yes Im working my way through both the tutorials as well as the actual learning center (which this guy Rob just cracks me up with some of the geeky goofy stuff that he comes up with).Like I may (or may not) have mentioned, Im still working on it, but struggling through. It's not like playing a regular game (such as a Tiger Woods PGA 2007/8 or any of the other multitudes of games that I play) which I can pickup on quite fast. There is a lot to try to remember when flying around and more importantly when trying to land properly.

Guest Desert Flyer

>Go hop in the cessna and practice at X68. Shuttle landing>facility. Nice 15,000 ft runway to play with and not alot of>scenery clutter so stuff runs pretty smooth.>Have you tried any of the lessons yet? They are a big help if>your not very familiar with procedures and what not so you do>stuff in the correct order which makes things alot easier.>>Daveo ESSB>>Sorry for the bother, but how do I locate the X68 Shuttle landing facitlity? Im looking through the different airports, I've tried searching United States, any state and ID of X68 and don't show it, and I've tried searching United States, Any State and name of Shuttle but still don't find this facility.Is it an addon facility or comes standard with FSX?

Try landing at Edwards in Calif.There are several long runways there -it is an alternate shuttle landing spot.Real flat all around, no AI stuff flying around you.Think it's KEDW, else just select United States, California, Edwards.

>Sorry for the bother, but how do I locate the X68 Shuttle>landing facitlity? Im looking through the different airports,>I've tried searching United States, any state and ID of X68>and don't show it, and I've tried searching United States, Any>State and name of Shuttle but still don't find this facility.>>Is it an addon facility or comes standard with FSX?>>Its in Titusville , Florida . Make sure all the dropdown bars in the airport menu are set at "any" then type X68 in the airport code box.If they aren't all set to any then you probably wont find what your looking for. A glitch in the search function I guess the top doesnt overide the country, city and state bars.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Guest ronht

I took a couple of minutes to make a quick video of the Moutain Flying Tutorial. It's not great, but if a picture can tell 1000 words maybe you can pick up a point or two from this :-)The video is located here:http://youtube.com/watch?v=bGWYbQwHsykenjoyron

>Sorry, I thought I had mentioned it already, yes Im working>my way through both the tutorials as well as the actual>learning center (which this guy Rob just cracks me up with>some of the geeky goofy stuff that he comes up with).Yeah, I like him. Deliberate corniness has its charms!Well, I guess you just have to keep at it, then. Practice makes perfect, as they say. I'm sure it'll click eventually.

Guest Gunner_CAF

If you ever get a chance to see Rod Machado speak in person, do it. He is a funny guy. He does some great avation humor. I found some of his videos on his web page. He speeks at Oshkosh every year at the EAA Fly-In and I make it a point to hear him talk at least once or more each year.Gunner