Sign in to follow this  
I132

TrackIR4 users ...

I am interested in this unit.Does this unit work correctly in FSX?What commands does TIR4 send to FSX to make those special movements?Thanks.

Guest fsxmissionguy

It sends "view" commands - basically. As you turn your head, the view in FSX changes to match your head position (they use an infrared unit which you place on your monitor to measure which way your head is moving.)It works very well in a room so long as no bright lights (windows, etc.) are behind you.TrackIR is expensive ... but raises the realism to an incredible level.I'm a famed cheapo ... but this one is worth the money you pay.Incidently ... get the version that contains the ProClip. It's more expensive, but worth it in my view. Place the proclip on a good headset with a microphone if you do multiplayer.

Makes flying GA aircraft much more realistic and easy. Just turn your head, move up, look down, look out the window and down at the same time. Amazing the way it works. I don't like it for airliners because I like to use the 2D panel for those.

AMD 3800X, Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT, AS Rock X570 Phantom Gaming 4, 32mb 3600 ram

Guest Desert Flyer

>Makes flying GA aircraft much more realistic and easy. Just>turn your head, move up, look down, look out the window and>down at the same time. Amazing the way it works. I don't like>it for airliners because I like to use the 2D panel for>those.Are you surrounded by monitors? I am having a hard time grasping if I turn my head to the right to look out a window, and the view in the monitor in front of me on my desk then gives me the view of looking out the window how I'll be able to even see it if my head is turned to the right looking out a window.Does it take tiny motions of your head so you're only moving a fraction of an inch to switch views so whiel you've turned your head your still really looking straight ahead, and if so isn't it then overly sensitive.I can see this being a great product for people that have 3 or more monitors setup to surround them though.

Yes, it does amplify head movements (small head movement causes effect of larger head movement on screen). However, I have found this very easy to deal with and don't find it too "sensitive" at all. Beyond that, it does have sensitivity adjustments so you can fine tune it to your own preferences.It doesn't take any time at all to become accustomed to the movements required for the results desired. From all the rave reviews it has received, it would appear that a large number of folks out there have had experiences with it much like mine.Dewey

It's just like using the pan button on your joystick except your moving your head to control the panning instead of the joystick button.You can adjust how much you have to move your head per degree of panning to suit your own liking. But basically you are only moving your head a few degees to get 90 degrees of panning.What track IR gives you that you don't get from the joysitck pan button is 1) the ability to zoom in to read a gauge by moving your head forward, 2) the ability to move your head to the left or right in a tandem seating open cockpit aircraft to look over the side of the plane and down at the scenery, and 3) the ability to move your head around to see the guage or switch that is obscurred by the yoke on short final..Another important tidbit, I have a top of the line P4 3.0 single core machine :7 and have not experienced any impact on performance from using the track IR4.Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with the sales or this or any other any FS product. I just demoed one at FANCON and bought it. I have been very pleased with it.Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

I'll add-it just takes a few moments of getting used to and then it feels completely real and natural. After you use it a while you will find when you don't use it you will sympathetically be moving your head all the time! :-lolThe biggest thing for me is when you fly for real-your head is constantly moving looking around-and tracker ir allows you to experience this-also zooming in for a quick look at an instrument or looking over the nose for a better view. It is simply amazing!http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest Desert Flyer

Thanks.A friend of mine has one of these units but never went into any great detail about it, other than to say that he loves it and wouldn't fly without it.The information is great and it may just end up on my short christmas list this year, barring that, I may just have to go buy it myself and get the job done before christmas. Yeah, this game is getting more expensive by the day haha. But I can think of worse things to spend my cash on.

Have a look at an absolute master in action, and he's only using the TrackIR-3 with vector support?http://jeff.lumacs.net/Do-27FlyinRoundPortland.wmvNo disrespects Jeff ;-) lolThere's more on the www.FSAddon.com site under 'Vancouver+' video's. I never tire from watching them.Incidently, I won't fly without mine either.

Dave Taylor gb.png

I recently purchased this unit too and love it.One suggestion, map the F8 and F9 keys to some buttons on your yoke. F8 toggle gives you temporary fine-precision control (head movement) while manipulating buttons and dials in the VC. At first, my neck was starting to hurt on the multi-hour big-iron flights until I figured out this important key. It's really cool to lean forward and type on the FMC in a true 3D (VC) enviornment. Also, the F9 key pauses the tracking movement for when the wife and kids insist on disturbing you with conversation, usually on Final. The third and final key F12 is used to recenter the forward view which I find only needs done once or twice on multi-hour flights.Probably the easiest integration of any hardware into both the FS9 and FSX applications I've ever experienced. Install the TrackIR driver and software and go! Get used to it, then tweak the profiles to your exact liking. 15 or 20 minutes and you'll have "as real as it gets!" ;)

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Add me to the list of TrackIR lovers. I fly fighters. I love it. With the TrackIR I am able to fly overhead approaches, from the break to the landing.You can look up through the canopy and even lean over to look down at the ground. I fly 100% VC and can easily fly an ILS or non-precision approach down to miniums.

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Guest jshyluk

If you are unclear about getting a TrackIR, be sure to buy it from someplace with a No-Questions-Asked 30-Day return policy. If you order direct from NaturalPoint, I belive they still offer that guarantee, although you must check for yourself to be sure.The device is quite configurable, so that you can either use a pre-set config (I really like the "Progressive" setting), or you can quickly drum up your own. NaturalPoint keeps winning Bravo Zulu Awards from AVSIM, so there's bound to be a good reason for that -- if you have the money on hand, you owe it to yourself to try it out!Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM