Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

Default Mesh/ Genesis Mesh

Guest RET_1935

Hello, many thanks to those who helped me with what I thought to be a blurry problem in the thread down below. Now I have another couple of questions...I was thinking about buying the Genesis Landclass and mesh combo that they have on holiday bundle sale. When I noticed something in their add. They said that the default mesh for North America in FSX was 38m so am I wasting my time setting my slider more than that (like 10M)if default is all I have right now?Then of course the remaining question is...is the Genesis Mesh a good one, something easy to notice the improvement over the default mesh? I saw some side by side shots of default mesh and another brands 10m mesh and to be honest, I didn't see a whole lot of difference. Perhaps it's one of those things that is more noticeable in game?Thanks in advance,Robert

The first purchase I made with FSX was Justin's Genesis mesh.I fly lots of mountians, and the better mesh resolution not only helps add terrain detail - it improves the texture variation also giving a better realism. This happens as the texture tiles have a switch where they change to others depending on slope. Thus a increase of mesh resolution will give you more texture variation on a hillside, highlighting rock faces, more shadows etc - that you wouldn't get with the stock mesh as its "smoother".It's a must have in my opinion. Minimal if any frame rate impact.Here's a couple of pics near Revelstoke BC. (CYRV) Maybe not the best place to highlight the increased mesh (think its only 19 here), but you'll notice that not only are the mountains more defined, there are more texture variations giving better details etc. I have my slider at 10m in both pics.EDIT: I would run at 10M as a minimum with the default mesh even though it's at 38 (as a base), as there are quite a few areas with increased resolution - I think some of those areas are Grand Canyon, Mt. St. Helens, etc.Regards'Garetthttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181921.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181922.jpg

The shot above, where you can see a stark difference, is comparing to a low resolution mesh, not the 38m North American mesh.The images below show the difference between the 38m North American mesh, and the 10m FSDreamscapes mesh. There is not too much difference here, but it might be more noticeable in mountain areas like seen in the first pics.http://www.fspilotshop.com/images/UT5.jpghttp://www.fspilotshop.com/images/UT4.jpghttp://www.fspilotshop.com/images/UT6.jpg

I find a big difference between FSX RTM and FSGenesis. I used it in FS9 and use it in FSX. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good mesh and landclass. Justin at FSGensis has been doing this for over ten years. He changes the mesh and landclass when users advise him of local problems to reflect the actual look. So, after ten years, I figure he has most of it right.

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

The changes in the US in FSX are less dramatic and less noticable than they were in FS2004.However FS Genesis adds a sharpness to terrain that has a subtle impact. After a few days flying with FSGenesis, if you go back and temporarily rename the FSGenesis file for the area where you fly - you will see how 'bland' and 'round' everything looks.Now, that's in an area like Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Louisiana, Mississippi.The effects are much more dramatic in mountains, but everywhere the improvements are noticable if you know what to look for.As I said, the most noticable would be after flying with it for a while if you temporarily disable the files and see how realtively bad the default looks.

FS Genesis mesh is a definite improvement over the default. It is even more noticeable outside of the U.S. Adds sharpness and realism to the terrain.One drawback: Many airports will be on rectangular plateaus or depressions because FSX airports are always flat, unlike the real world and they don't blend in well with the more accurate mesh.Ben