Sign in to follow this  
kdfw__

Did FSX And Vista Kill Flightsimulation?

I've been away from simming since April of this year, due to a variety of reasons. Won't be ready to return until some time next year, but thought I'd "check in" to see what's cooking. I had hoped to find a plethora and smorgasbord of new releases: highly advance aircraft, gorgeous scenery, innovative new addons, etc. But, imagine my dismay to see that most of the great addons that were on the stove seemed to be still,well, on the stove. Reading bad stuff about the interaction between Vista and FSX, and the reviews of FSX seemed to tilt significantly towards the negative. Generally, I just don't see the kind of excitement and enthusiasm that I had hoped would have developed by now. The apparent demise of PSS sure doesn't add to this. OTOH, I see that CS is still up their old shenanigans. :-), and Ariane seems to have undergone a major overhaul. ricardo

.. and flight simming for me, has never been better.:-beerchug

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I think you are inaccurate in your assessment of the situation as it stands today. But I can understand your feelings, since you have been out of the scene since last April. In April your assessment would have been perhaps a little more on-keel. Much has happened since then in terms of add-ons, performance, and hardware.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest fsxmissionguy

You might want to spend a few more days reading up to catch up. Plenty of advanced aircraft, georgous scenery and innovative new addons have been released for FSX.Just to start the list:Highly advanced aircraft: PDMG 747, PDMG MD11Georgous Scenery: MegasceneryAdvanced Mesh: FSGenesisInnovative new Addons: FEX, GEX, Flight Deck 5Missions: Abacus, many othersI know I've left a TON of products off the list, so feel free to add to it. These were just off the top of my head from things I've seen mentioned in the past few days, and I don't pay much attention to addons.Plenty more seem to be in the pipeline, as well.Death of simming? Mark Twain is giggling in his grave.

Throw in ASX and Xgraphics, XPax coming soon, Ultimate Terrain X 1.2b, Twin Comanche for GA not to mention the SF260 and Scout package from Real Air who are also producing the Duke twin for FSX.Theirs plenty to be happy about and keep you busy with FSX for the next couple of years. Acceleration in and of itself could keep someone busy for a year learning to land on AC carriers and learning how to race etc.....FSX it seems has just come out of the womb and has plenty of life left in her.

Obviously this version is a major disaster.And a lot worse than the previous disaster (FS2000).Add on devs like PMDG or LevelD have an impossible task to make their products playable on this system. It's why their only choice now is to go back to FS9 to make sales.On top of the bad performance we get a totally botched DX10 "upgrade" that should never have passed a first alpha test. Menu crashes, flickering textures, AA/AF issues, broken backwards compatability and even worse performance are common.

Its interesting that one person can have a totally different take on a situation than another person might have. I notice that in many other areas (such as politics...) as well.Facts remain consistent, fact is fact. Yet the way in which people discern those facts can be totally different! It's just interesting to me.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>The reports of FSX's death have been GREATLY exaggerated. >>LOL! I've actually used FSX a lot more than I ever used FS9, due to the fact the terrain and autogen is now at a level where low and slow flight is a real treat. The immersion and realism factor when up 3 fold.

I don't think either of these killed flight simulation. BUT Microsoft has made a strategic decision to ship products on a date regardless of quality and that lack of quality has been obvious to its customers. I don't recall ever before a version of Flight Simulator being shipped before it was "done" and working well out of the box. But with FSX and especially with Acceleration, the ship date was set and MS was going to ship it even if they have to slap a "Preview" label on the DX10 button because the feature is not done. Obviously even ACES was embarrassed by their DX10 effort and hoped a text label would excuse them. I can't think of a single other software product where that has been done (usually features are just plain cut).Same lack of quality goes for Vista and DX10. They have been released and they just are not ready for general consumption. Performance and general quality for both of these products is below that of XP and DX9 (not just in FS but in general).Unfortunately, I don't think ACES gets it yet. If they did, they would have a commitment to continue to improve FSX until it is done and not be so obsessed with moving on to Train Sim 2. I think Vista will improve but MS has no choice but to continue to improve quality on that. Corporations are not and cannot use Vista in its current state and that's where the money comes from. DX10 is probably in ok shape but no one can tell because hardware vendors can't get drivers that work right.Having said that, I enjoy FSX more than any other version. I've also spent my share of money on new hardware to be able to enjoy it. But it is frustrating to see something so close to being excellent yet missing the mark on promised features (e.g. DX10) and on apparently being problematic for add on developers to work with.Don