Sign in to follow this  
kdfw__

Did FSX And Vista Kill Flightsimulation?

>Its interesting that one person can have a totally different>take on a situation than another person might have. I notice>that in many other areas (such as politics...) as well.>>Facts remain consistent, fact is fact. Yet the way in which>people discern those facts can be totally different! It's>just interesting to me.>>Rhett>Yeah that stuff is always interesting. Perception creates experience.

>You might want to spend a few more days reading up to catch>up. Plenty of advanced aircraft, georgous scenery and>innovative new addons have been released for FSX.>>Just to start the list:>>Highly advanced aircraft: PDMG 747, PDMG MD11>Georgous Scenery: Megascenery>Advanced Mesh: FSGenesis>Innovative new Addons: FEX, GEX, Flight Deck 5>Missions: Abacus, many others>>I know I've left a TON of products off the list, so feel free>to add to it. These were just off the top of my head from>things I've seen mentioned in the past few days, and I don't>pay much attention to addons.>>Plenty more seem to be in the pipeline, as well.>>Death of simming? Mark Twain is giggling in his grave. The answer to the initial question is NO. And to clear things up the PMDG MD11 has NOT been released. Craig

Guest jshyluk

Don:I don't quite agree with everything you've said, but your last paragraph I totally agree with. FSX is just one of those simulation products where you have to pay attention to what you are doing. There's a tremendous amount of flexibility built into the program, but the cost of this great power means that if you aren't fully aware of what you are doing, you may run into problems. For the third-party developers, it's much harder than for the consumer to keep up with the FSX trends. It's a bit like taking up the Piper Cub and using the Storm Front Brewing weather effect. You have to be aware of what's going on around you, although there's still room for casual flight. FSX and Vista has caused something of a storm in the flight sim community, but really, it's just that. Nothing that won't blow over, given time and patience. And some people love nothing more than going out to play when the weather is lousy.Flight sim is not dead, FSX has many fun things to see and do. Of course, this is just my opinion, and may or may not be the same the official opinion of AVSIM, if any.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest fsxmissionguy

Member since ... 1 post???

Guest DC-9

I think everyone has a bit of a different 'slant' on FSX. I haven't had the greatest luck with it myself. I'm not going to 'sugar coat' it like some do on here. IMHO, I can't find many things with FSX that are much of an improvement over FS9, least of all, the performance aspect. The really bad thing here is, it's definitely not a suitable platform to run high-grade addons such as PMDG's 744. Even the latest hardware doesn't give an acceptable level of performance for things such as that. To me, it's been a considerable let-down. Of course, others can add their own comments about it, but I myself haven't it to be so great, especially with textures that look worse than FS9 (the dreaded blurries). Obviously, that should have taken top priority to investigate and fix, but did not. On another front, it's interesting to note that you can take the same scenery from FS9 which runs really fast, then put it in FSX, and it literally kills the FPS. A lot of developers are having trouble getting acceptable performance out of products, which is why they're not releasing much, if any. :( FSX looks 'pretty', but is it functional? At this point in time, not for me.Allan

>Obviously this version is a major disaster.>>And a lot worse than the previous disaster (FS2000).>>Add on devs like PMDG or LevelD have an impossible task to>make their products playable on this system. It's why their>only choice now is to go back to FS9 to make sales.>>On top of the bad performance we get a totally botched DX10>"upgrade" that should never have passed a first alpha test.>Menu crashes, flickering textures, AA/AF issues, broken>backwards compatability and even worse performance are common.>>>You are aware that LevelD stopped producing for FS9 a year ago and all new products will be FSX right?Besides some of the larger companies that pump out addons at a high rate (usually at the expense of quality), most have went FSX only for the future.

Guest United

I wouldn't touch Vista with steel gloves and yes, ACES killed FSX esp. simcommect which has nearly killed one of my favorite weather addons and in general FSX has made the add-on market almost nil. Randy Jura, KPDX

I've never been so bored since FSX was released. The F/A-18 from Acceleration helped a little bit and was great, but FSX has been sitting untouched for a few weeks now. I don't know what it is... most likely it is the lack of any complex add-ons to come out for FSX (excluding the PMDG 747, which I have in FS9 and don't need in FSX). But does it matter? Maybe not, because the peformance can be so terrible anyway so I guess it's a moot point. PMDG's MD-11 is on the way I guess, but at $80 or whatever I'll probably have to pass on that. And most other aircraft add-ons are rehashes of FS9 ones that I already have, so again, excuse me while I yawn. And now developers have to deal with FS9/FSX/FSXSP1/FSXSP2/FSXSP2+accleration/and all that under Vista so this has just been a big headahce for everyone. As have my posts (Geofa is getting the Tylenol right now I bet), but this is just the way I feel about FSX.

I sorta agree with youI find myself installing a lot of my "old" FS9 addons.... I get the performance I want with good quality addons.Not saying I don't like my RA Scout and SF260 for FSX, and UTX USA and FEX, I love them, but I can't see myself enjoying 10 FPS in the LvlD 767 for FSX, when I can fly it in George Grimshaw's Boston scenery for FS9!!I like both, I love FSX's textures, (when they are clear :(), but I hate the performance with some of the new Accel planes even at smaller city airports.... You gotta turn down a lot of stuff, and then it looks bad...I wonder what the "enjoyment ratio" is with regards to cost of current system. Some people say they enjoy it, but you gotta factor in their E6850's OCed to 3.6 and 8800GT's (dang I want one) with 4GB RAM Vista x64 ;)Not saying there aren't any people enjoying it on older systems, cause there are, but on my AMD6000, I still can't run it how I would like, and that's mostly stock acft :(FSX is power hungry....that's mainly the jist of things....you need a nice nice setup to fully enjoy it (IMHO), and for a lot of users, that is not an option....

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I wouldn't say "Killed" but definitely seriously "shaken up". I have FSX. It runs and performs great. But it just bores me. Cartoonish autogen and textures. There's nothing in FSX that I can't currently do/see in FS9 with superb fidelity. I hope all the GEX, FEX, REX will sort that out but for now I stay put very happily. I do think there's a lot of denial in simming right now! (and not the river in Egypt...)

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

That gives me an idea. Why don't we do a series of compares to reality such as I have done here the other day, but also with shots from with fs9? Now that fsx has gex,fex, and utx the compares really would be compares.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=267318&page=Maybe I can do a series with lat long shown and you could provide the fs9 shots (I don't have it anymore) so we can really see which is cartoonish and where the denial is? I have tons of real ones in different terrain etc. I'd be glad to do it-though not the next two days.http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

That doesn't impress, it looks no different to FS9 to be honest. And thats FSX maxed out with all those 3rd party scenery addons.Now Compare those to ACE Combat 6 (below), and you can see the difference.The game runs smooth on Xbox - ie slower CPU's, memory limited to only 512MB and DX9 type graphics. And it looks like the real photos you submitted. Notice the perfect autogen? No massive trees here. The clouds look great and the terrain detail and HDR lighting too.If you go back to the FSX screens now, you can see it does actually look like a cartoon scene. Maybe not the Simpsons but one of them.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181949.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181950.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181951.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181952.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181953.jpg

>That doesn't impress, it looks no different to FS9 to be>honest. And thats FSX maxed out with all those 3rd party>scenery addons.>>Now Compare those to ACE Combat 6 (below), and you can see the>difference.>>The game runs smooth on Xbox - ie slower CPU's, memory limited>to only 512MB and DX9 type graphics. And it looks like the>real photos you submitted. Notice the perfect autogen?>No massive trees here. The clouds look great and the terrain>detail and HDR lighting too.>>If you go back to the FSX screens now, you can see it does>actually look like a cartoon scene. Maybe not the Simpsons but>one of them.>>Actually in real action Aces combat looks great but when close to the ground it's real ugly ;-)FSX does look a whole lot better as FS9 ever can be ;-)FS2004 right out the box and the hardware back then was the same performance story as with FS2002 and FS 2000 and FS98 and FS5 and FS4 etc...But you can't compare an arcade shooter with a simulator ;-)As for the FS series we have still a long way to go but compare it with a few versions back ;-)http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/awf1/sign.jpg

André

>That doesn't impress, it looks no different to FS9 to be>honest. And thats FSX maxed out with all those 3rd party>scenery addons.>>Now Compare those to ACE Combat 6 (below), and you can see the>difference.>>http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181950.jpg>Wow!..........Love the cityscape! But does the whole ACE Combat "world" have that fidelity? Or does it HAVE the whole world? :-hah Personally, I don't like comparing limited area simulations, because I would be terribly upset when my local area of flying isn't up to the the look of the "screenies", or does not exist at all. It would be better than fantastic to see a full blown flight simulator looking like that; but it's certainly still a few years off.In the meantime, I prefer MegaScenery with FSX over FS9, and almost all mountainous/cityscape areas using FSX. The resolution and glossier photo-type tiles are just much better.L.Adamson --- FS9, FSX, X-Plane

Guest wjotten

>Maybe FSX killed FSX, but certainly not flight simulation:>>http://www.x-plane.com/beta.html>>or >>http://www.flightgear.org/>>Alex>>This is true. I've taken a serious new look at X-Plane and while it is not yet the equal of FSX in visuals, the flight dynamics seem fine. The problems of FSX and abandonment by ACES or Microsoft (they themselves said no further fixes would be offered) means FSX is dead. So more folks will look to other options.