Sign in to follow this  
Guest UlfB

SP2 is Live!

Ah I just love a little confusion in the morning. lolI assume this is ONLY SP2, meaning not with 'Acceleration'.

So XP users will get no benefit from the SP2 update? Even with a DX10 compatible card? Is this correct?

Guest UlfB

No it's not correct. Go over to Phils blog and read the article on page 2 about what's in SP2 for FSX DX9.Ulf B

If you can tell me how to get to page 2 I'll do that.However, the post above says... DX10 is only availavble in VISTA and with the correct hardware.I didn't think that was true but that's what it says. That is why I was trying to make sure.The machine I wanted to try this on has XP Pro and an Nvidia 8800 video card. FS9 is also installed so I guess there are two things I am trying to find out.1) Is the FSX SP2 update going to do anything?2) Is the FSX SP2 update (with DX10) going to cause any issues with FS9?

Guest Nils79

DX10 will only work with Vista and a FSX SP will only affect FSX.1)I quote from Phils Blog the DX9 fixes, because you are using XP:"Fixes and Features Core and Graphics1) 8-core bug fix2) 3G enabling FSX and Autogen memory use optimization3) Exterior shadow quality improvements4) Optimization of terrain IO for photo-scenery and

Guest UlfB

Hi,>If you can tell me how to get to page 2 I'll do that.You already have the link in Phils first message in this thread, but here it goes again http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/If you scroll to the bottom of the page there should be an link: Next page.>However, the post above says... DX10 is only availavble in>VISTA and with the correct hardware.It's correct that DX10 is only available in VISTA and you also need to have a DX10 capable graphics card.>1) Is the FSX SP2 update going to do anything?Yes it is. On page 2 on Phils blog you can read about what SP2 brings to FSX DX9.>2) Is the FSX SP2 update (with DX10) going to cause any>issues with FS9?I don't have FS9 installed any longer, but I doubt that the update of FSX to SP2 will affect your FS9 install at all.The SP2 might cause issues with some third party add ons. You can read more about these issues on Phils blog and on this forum.Ulf B :-)Edited: Wow, three simultaneous answers. Cool.

SP2 has changes for DX9 and that is mentioned in my Acceleration and SP2 post. DX10 is indeed only available on Vista, with DX10 hardware, and with a DX10-aware application which SP2 is.So there is still value in SP2 for XP users, or Vista users that do not have DX10 hardware.

Okay, so here's a question...I have installed SP2 and everything seemd to go okay. However, It looks like DX10 didn't get installed. If I run dxdiag it still says 9.0c. Is this normal because I'm running XP? The SP2 update is installed according to the version number of FSX.Is all of this normal? I was under the impression that DX10 would still get installed, and the checkbox in the Graphics area of FSX would still show up, I just wasn't going to get the full benefits of it.If anyone can let me know if the above is normal or not I would greatly appreciate it.Thanks!

DX10 is only on Vista.Repeat, you need all of:1)Vista and DX10 runtime2)DX10 hw 3)DX10 driver4)DX10 aware application ( of which FSX SP2 is one )DX10 is not available on XP.