Sign in to follow this  
Guest Desert Flyer

Are the buildings supposed to look this bad?

Guest Desert Flyer

Hi,I've got all settings maxed out that I can find and here is a small screenshot (I landed the plane outside of an airport) and you'll notice that the houses around the plane are nothing but mottled square boxes without absolutely 0 detail. My game settings are maxed out in all aspects that I can find (I think, right side of slider is higher then left, correct?).I was under the impression that FSX really kicked up the graphics a notch towards reality graphics. If that is true then perhaps someone can explain what I must do to try to get some better quality imagery in the game. I could understand this type of mottled low quality housing when Im way up in the sky, else it would bring the game to a standstill, but when Im down on the ground and this close, I would think it would switch to a high resolution texture for landscape and buildings. But maybe I just don't have the settings set correctly so any assistance is appreciated.Thanks,http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/181954.jpg

Guest Desert Flyer

That's a good thing, then perhaps someone can tell me what I need to do to make them look like they are supposed to look like then.My system while not the newest should at least be able to display houses with somewhat good detail level:AMD 64X2 4600+2GB RAM 8800 GTS OC 320MB video card8800 GTS OC 320MB video card (dual 8800's in SLI)Windows Vista Home PremiumAll settings as set to highest position that I've found.

Turn your settings down to something your machine can handle.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Guest Desert Flyer

>Turn your settings down to something your machine can>handle.>No, Im trying to turn the settings up, my machine can handle it just fine. As it is now the game is smooth as can be, so if anything there must be a setting somewhere that Im not seeing that I've not yet set to high because the game is running smoothly but looks this bad.But Daveo, you've perked my curiosity. Why would you suggest to lower the settings "to what my computer can handle" when Im trying to get better looking visuals, and not complaining about slowdowns which I don't suffer from?

>>Turn your settings down to something your machine can>>handle.>>>No, Im trying to turn the settings up, my machine can handle>it just fine. As it is now the game is smooth as can be, so>if anything there must be a setting somewhere that Im not>seeing that I've not yet set to high because the game is>running smoothly but looks this bad.>>But Daveo, you've perked my curiosity. Why would you suggest>to lower the settings "to what my computer can handle" when Im>trying to get better looking visuals, and not complaining>about slowdowns which I don't suffer from?>Are you on a taxiway or parked on a road somewhere?

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

>>Turn your settings down to something your machine can>>handle.>>>No, Im trying to turn the settings up, my machine can handle>it just fine. As it is now the game is smooth as can be, so>if anything there must be a setting somewhere that Im not>seeing that I've not yet set to high because the game is>running smoothly but looks this bad.>>But Daveo, you've perked my curiosity. Why would you suggest>to lower the settings "to what my computer can handle" when Im>trying to get better looking visuals, and not complaining>about slowdowns which I don't suffer from?>NM I didnt realize you were not at an airfield. I think they did that unpurpose so system's wouldnt totally frame down to 2 FPS. Probably also why you can spot an FSX airf

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

>>Turn your settings down to something your machine can>>handle.>>>No, Im trying to turn the settings up, my machine can handle>it just fine. As it is now the game is smooth as can be, so>if anything there must be a setting somewhere that Im not>seeing that I've not yet set to high because the game is>running smoothly but looks this bad.>>But Daveo, you've perked my curiosity. Why would you suggest>to lower the settings "to what my computer can handle" when Im>trying to get better looking visuals, and not complaining>about slowdowns which I don't suffer from?>Your PC can't handle it thats clear :-lol not with that CPU ;-)FSX is CPU based not GPU ;-) so turn your settings down to the amount your CPU is able to run ;-)Make sure you turn global texture resolution to very high...http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/awf1/sign.jpg

André

What are you global settings (on the first page of Display settings)? When I set mine on medium it lowers the texture res of buildings and the VC. Set it on very high if it isn't already.Or it could be they didn't expect anyone to drive down a road in an aircraft hoping for high res houses? :)

Guest Desert Flyer

How in the world can you tell me my computer can't handle playing the game when Im the one that is playing the game and am here to say that the game plays silky smooth for me. Please elaborate if you will on how the game works with the sliders, are you saying that if I max out all sliders and get the houses looking like they do in the screenshot it's because the game is overiding my choices and setting them down to a low quality setting?The game plays perfectly acceptable for someone like myself that doesn't own tons of addons that all help to suck out the life of a persons computer. In vanilla form the game plays more than acceptably and I'd have to say quite well considering how much scenery it is rendering at one time on my screen. I get no jerkiness in the game, the landscape below me scrolls by ultra smoothly, everything seems to work quite well.Anyway, I'd love to know why it is that Im saying I want better visuals, but people keep telling me to turn down the visuals because my computer can't handle it, when it's obvious that it can handle it by giving me smooth gameplay, so please elaborate if the game is overiding my settings or what.Thank you,>>>Turn your settings down to something your machine can>>>handle.>>>>>No, Im trying to turn the settings up, my machine can handle>>it just fine. As it is now the game is smooth as can be, so>>if anything there must be a setting somewhere that Im not>>seeing that I've not yet set to high because the game is>>running smoothly but looks this bad.>>>>But Daveo, you've perked my curiosity. Why would you>suggest>>to lower the settings "to what my computer can handle" when>Im>>trying to get better looking visuals, and not complaining>>about slowdowns which I don't suffer from?>>>>>Your PC can't handle it thats clear :-lol not with that CPU>;-)>>FSX is CPU based not GPU ;-) so turn your settings down to the>amount your CPU is able to run ;-)>Make sure you turn global texture resolution to very high...>>http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/awf1/sign.jpg

>How in the world can you tell me my computer can't handle>playing the game when Im the one that is playing the game and>am here to say that the game plays silky smooth for me. >Please elaborate if you will on how the game works with the>sliders, are you saying that if I max out all sliders and get>the houses looking like they do in the screenshot it's becauseGame based sliders doesn't mean you can cranck up all settings to max hence there isn't hardware available on the market today that can run FSX with all sliders to it's max thats why I can say that ;-)I have a far far more faster system as you do and have great visuals far better as FS9 and performance too but I don't run everything to the right :-lolSmooth gameplay doesn't mean it looks good lol hence you will end up with a lot of blurries and tearing of textures because your CPU can't keep up with your settings...Quality and smooth gameplay has to be in balance regarding FSX...If you turn some sliders back to the left your PC (CPU) has time to calculate and render all the stuff and you will end up with far better visuals as you have now ;-)Look at the FSX tweak sections here very helpful if you want to have a solution...http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/awf1/sign.jpg

André

Guest firehawk44

Yes, I agree with many others in this thread. Turn down your GPU overclocking. I recall reading (somewhere) that if you overclock your GPU too much, you'll get corrupted graphics. I believe it was on the NVIDIA SLI Forum. Try the default settings for your graphics cards and see if that improves anything. Best regards,Jim

Guest Desert Flyer

Okay, fair enough. Thank you for the explanation. Despite what my friends might tell you, Im really not the average dummy and have been around, using, and building computers for over 20 years now and equally as long or longer playing games of one sort or another going back though, only as far as text based games.So....Here is what I would like to accomplish for my visual satisfaction...1. Sparse amount of buildings, but those that do show up should show up with as much detail as possible.2. No cars or people on the roads (kind of pointless power sucking option IMO).3. As smooth of a frame rate as is possible.4. Trees and other ambient "stuff", I don't really care about when Im flying in the city, in fact I'd just assume not see any trees when Im flying in places like Downtown Los Angeles, but of course when Im actually flying out in the mountains than trees are a must, but they don't need to be so dense like Im walking through the Redwood groves of California.5. Landscape should have some detail to it. It shouldn't be all just colored blurs.In a nutshell, no cars, or boats (other aircrafts are a must), landscape (ground texture) as much detail so that it doesn't look like a blurry 2nd graders finger painting, sparse buildings but those that are there should have nice detail when up close, and can resemble simple blocks from a far. No trees, birds, cars, people or other ambient life is required.Knock out enough of that which is impossible, and somebody please let me know what settings I will need to set to accomodate the rest.Thanks if someone can assist me with trying to get as close as is possible to what Im trying to achieve visually.And to answer what the big slider says, I believe it says "custom"

>How in the world can you tell me my computer can't handle>playing the game when Im the one that is playing the game and>am here to say that the game plays silky smooth for me. >Please elaborate if you will on how the game works with the>sliders, are you saying that if I max out all sliders and get>the houses looking like they do in the screenshot it's because>the game is overiding my choices and setting them down to a>low quality setting?>>The game plays perfectly acceptable for someone like myself>that doesn't own tons of addons that all help to suck out the>life of a persons computer. In vanilla form the game plays>more than acceptably and I'd have to say quite well>considering how much scenery it is rendering at one time on my>screen. I get no jerkiness in the game, the landscape below>me scrolls by ultra smoothly, everything seems to work quite>well.>>Anyway, I'd love to know why it is that Im saying I want>better visuals, but people keep telling me to turn down the>visuals because my computer can't handle it, when it's obvious>that it can handle it by giving me smooth gameplay, so please>elaborate if the game is overiding my settings or what.>>Thank you,Andre is only trying to help you and he is correct when he says your computer cannot handle it. I can tell you I cannot crank the sliders all the way up on my system (it would be nice if I could). It has nothing to do with addons, it has to do with FSX itself. If your asking FSX to more than your computer actually can, you will get poor results (as in graphics). In a way FSX is over riding your setting because your system just cannot do what your asking it. FSX does what it can to the best of its ability. However, if you reduce the sliders and find a happy medium you can have both good graphics and FPS.As a side note SLI may be a benefit for certain games but it is of absolutely no benefit to FSX because FSX is not specifically coded to run in SLI.