Sign in to follow this  
Guest Desert Flyer

Are the buildings supposed to look this bad?

Guest Desert Flyer

>Yes, I agree with many others in this thread. Turn down your>GPU overclocking. I recall reading (somewhere) that if you>overclock your GPU too much, you'll get corrupted graphics. I>believe it was on the NVIDIA SLI Forum. Try the default>settings for your graphics cards and see if that improves>anything. >>Best regards,>JimIt's factory overclocking that BFG does to their overclocking so you can expect it to be mild, and I don't have any programs installed that allow me to turn down the OC'ing that the manufacturer has done themselves, though I could download them if I had to, but I prefer to let the OC sit where the mfg of the cards set them.

Okay, I'll give it a shot here.1. There's an autogen tweak that you enter in the FSX.cfg that you can play with for the default per cell for buildings and/or trees. You can set buildings to 1 and you'll just get the airport and city buildings not the autogen buildings. 4500 is the default tree setting and 3500 I believe is the default for buildings. Search for the tweak, I can't remember it off hand.2. Turn road traffic down to 0%.3. Have to play with the settings, biggest frame rate killers are AI aircraft traffic, cities and large airports so anything that effects the amount of building autogen and AI traffic will effect frame rates. Water can be a killer too along with detail radius, dropping those can provide smoothness.Defrag your drive, by a Penryn quadcore and the next gen DX10 cards when they arrive.4. Buy a landclass product and GEX and/or UTX. They reduce the amount of trees in cities.5. Blurries in most cases are the result of overtaxing the CPU. Lock the frame rate to a level that allows the cpu some headroom to keep up with texture rendering. Blurries in the distance are normal as LOD (level of detail) decreases with distance.Here's a rundown of all the tabs to the best of my knowledge:Here are some settings that can be experimented with to help performance:Frame lock: Locking the framerates can help alleviate blurries and stutters, minimimum for me is 15 for airline and 20-25 for GA depending on location. CPU gets crushed in metropolitan areas. The more you throw at the pc as far as traffic, AI aircraft, buildings etc... the more stress is put on the CPU degrading performance.Global textures: Airport buildings and VC resolution among others, lowering this can help performance.Bloom, turn it off unless you are using DX10. Aircraft shadows and all the other shadows can effect framerates as well.Detail Radius: effects the detail surrounding the aircraft, the higher the setting the more of an effect on performance.Mesh complexity: Lowering this may help performance in mountainous areas due to the amount of terrain points.Meash resolution: This effects how detailed the terrain is. Rounded mountains at the lower settings, more jagged at 38 for example. Setting to 16 is optimal for default Mesh although most of the US is 38, Canada is 78 and so on.Texture resolution: 1m is optimal for default, effects how detailed the textures are on the ground like field textures, building textures, tree textures etc....(not autogen)Water: any of the 1x will deliver better performance than the 2x, though 2x low is a good comprimise and what I use.Complexity: This effects what how much optional buildings and object you see such as the amount of buildings in airports and the jetways. Jetways appear for me at very dense and packs the airports with terminals and buildings, normal eliminates the jetways. At larger airports this greatly influences frame rates, obviously the higher you go on this slider the higher the effect on frames.Auto gen: Building and Tree autogen slider....the higher you go the more effect on performance...use the autogen tweak to customize the amount of either autogen buildings or trees, pull slider all the way to the left to eliminate both.Traffic sliders are obvious, Airline and GA can be harsh over airports when put too high, road traffic can be killer especially in cities, the boat traffic over water can be harmful.Finding your optimal settings can be difficult, sort of like a rubics cube since there are so many options, the best way to do it for your system is to play around with the settings in different situations. You can then save that configuration via the menu, so load up the GA config for bush and non city flying, a config for city or airline flying etc......Most of all, look around. There's a utility in the Avsimi Library called Trees X which replaces the default tree textures with 3 possible selections, high med low, very good and free.I've most likely missed something despite my fingers aching, hopefully this will get you started. Good luck.Wanted to add about your orginal post that the textures in the game are 1 meter resolution and are more for viewing at altitude than on the ground. It's not a first person shooter so detail on the ground will not be as good as viewing from a few thousand feet. Sort of like a pointalism painting made up from dots, the closer you get the worse it looks.

One other nasty is that FSX will suddenly make all of the BMPs very blurred for no apparent reason. I used to see it often enough to actually make me mad at Microsoft - a waste of energy. A recent set of PC upgrades seems to have eliminated this "over management" of the graphics probably based upon Microsoft's assessment of my system.Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

This is at most midrange settings on my system which is an old studebaker compared to yours.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

It is true that FSX is not designed for the "10 foot experience" and instead is designed for flying and the "100 foot experience".

If it were a transit bus simulator, we'd be complaining about the excessive detail in the buildings. Gotta love this on your day off :-lol Regards,Jim Karn

Guest Desert Flyer

Yeah well...Anyway, I think I've finally found a visually appealing view, so thanks to those that tried to help me and apologies if I came off gruff.Now, I've got no trees that I've seen when flying between Santa Monica, and Palm SPrings, only a couple really decernable buildings (skyscrapers of Los Angeles) and airport looks good, and the ground textures looked quite crisp for the most part. At a not to distance they are mushy and I think I've got the distance slider maxed out, but that's okay, it's good enough and performance in the cesna was very very good. I don't have any hard numbers on fps, but it was silky smooth (ummm other than air turbulance which threw me all over the place while coming over the San Jacinto mountain range) the whole ride.So thanks,

I set my mesh complexity at 64. On this old box it gives me a decent balance of performance and graphics. As soon as I try 65 the hiccups start along with more blurries then I care to endure.Maybe its the stuff i drink who kn

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Those are not 'buildings' rendered as separate models. Those are autogen housing.They have the smallest texture files with the least detail - 64x64 pixels in size or possibly 32x32 pixels. That encompasses three or four stories of building textures. They are intended to present a decent fairly sharp picture from a couple hundred feet away. At that distance you are blowing up the texture file to 300-400% of it's original size - so of course you will loose a lot of detail.Also very little of the autogen has specular and bump map additional textures due to the load which would be imposed on your computer to add two more rendering passes.You are viewing them at night which requires two texture files to display a single side of a building - and two passes of the rendering engine.