Sign in to follow this  
virtualstuff

A Disappointment with SP2

>Ron,>>we do not believe either >1)back-compat with old aircraft and content that uses>techniques outside the FSX SDK>2)VC raindrops for FS9 aircraft>>are a core feature. default content and content made using the>FSX SDK and with FSX SDK techniques - those are core>features.>>so that is a major disconnect, how did you come to believe>either was a core feature?>>PhilOk Phil, we won't argue the semantics of what is a core feature.Whether you or I call it core feature is not the point here. VC rain is A FEATURE of your simulator.The question we asked is still not answered. If users can port FS9 VC rain textures into our FSX SDK built aircraft under SP2 without breaking either forward or back compatibility why can't Aces make an official fix for wht they've broken? Again, it appears that this oversight reflects poorly on Aces and impacts developers and customers in a negative way.I understand that you are betwen a rock and a hard place here but please answer the direct question.

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

I hear ya, Phil. I agree it's unfair to expect Aces to support undocumented capability. However I contend FS9 transparency support and flashing clouds don't fall in this category, and that's the type of issue I'm referring to.Jon

There has never been working VCrain in FSX with the stock aircraft or any aircraft built just for FSX. Only older aircraft that were ported over from FS9 will react to the FS9 VCRain.bmp's. Basically, if you see blue through the windshield when it rains it's a ported FS9 aircraft and the VCrain.bmp's from FS9 will not only eliminate the blue screen but give raindrops on the screen.

As for the performance boost, statement, if you were a bloom user in SP1, you will see a very noticeable increase in performance going to DX10/SP2. Most people though do not use bloom in RTM and SP1 because of the performance penalty, so they will only see a modest increase in DX9/SP2 and actually a decrease in DX10/SP2 in Vista. SP1 and SP2 DX9 without bloom still blows FSX in Vista away as far as performance is concerned.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

>There has never been working VCrain in FSX with the stock>aircraft or any aircraft built just for FSX. Only older>aircraft that were ported over from FS9 will react to the FS9>VCRain.bmp's. Basically, if you see blue through the>windshield when it rains it's a ported FS9 aircraft and the>VCrain.bmp's from FS9 will not only eliminate the blue screen>but give raindrops on the screen.That is absolutly correct, and precisely what I've already posted.1) FSX RTM was distributed with "dummy VC Rain textures."2) FSX SP1 reintroduced the ability to use these textures with FS9 SDK compiled aircraft, but because of the "dummy VC Rain textures" still won't work until the end USER copies the "FS9 VC Rain textures" to FSX.3) Therefore, all that is required to SOLVE this specific issue is for ACES to provide the complete set of "FS9 VC Rain textures" as a download option.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

But this fix only works with older FS9 aircraft not FSX native aircraft. I see no rain effects on the VC for the Eaglesoft Twin Comanche, RA SF260 or the Scout etc..... just to clarify and make it clear that only 2dVC rain effects work in SP2 for FSX native aircraft.

I hate to say: "I told you so", but....... "I told you so" !!If someone can point out a similar "patch", in the history of gaming, that actually breaks more things than this, I would love to know!Because I don't think such a "patch" exists!

Correct, and the FSX Twin Comanche is built to FSX SDK:-(

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

That's probably a good thing though, I'd sacrifice rain effects for performance anyday, although I do miss the rain effect as it added a touch of immersion.

Guest Nils79

And that's the only reason why i bought this bird and enjoy it. It's not only beautiful, it has been also perfectly optimized and runs with the performance of a default FSX airplane. As a customer, i wish optimal products (like the Twin Comanche), and not only compatible products.Thank you.

Ron,as far as I understand it, VC rain is another FS9 feature that did not make it into FSX. so wrt to this "fix" I think it is a happy accident that SP2 did anything here and I will leave it at that. Phil

While all this gets sorted out, for those without FS9 and want to eliminate the blue windshield and have VC rain back on FS9 ported aircraft there is a freeware file in the Avsim file library called vcrain.zip under FS9 Miscellaneous files that contains modded FS9 VCrain.bmp's and the 32 FS9 originals.

Good enough Phil. We are all at the mercy of MS/Aces when it comes to features included, broken, or left out entirely.No disrepect to you or Aces in anything we've posted. At least now we have a clearer picture of where we all stand and that is a net positive in our book:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Ron,no offense taken, I appreciate the even tone of the dialog from all parties, believe that is what forums like this are for, and believe all of the community benefits by such an open discussion.Phil