Sign in to follow this  
Midnight Music

SP2 Feedback

Guest Nils79

Dick, i only suggested the beta driver, because the WHQL doesn't fixed the problem from Ven. The problem exists with XPack and with SP2 and it is a driver issue.Uninstall your driver, restart XP in safe mode and run driver cleaner (select Nvidia and clean). Then restart and install the latest beta, configure it and delete your FSX.CFG.Thats what i would do, but i can't promise a success.

Hi allAfter a lot of experimentation I have found for me (a suitable) workaround for the issue of FSX with SP2 crashing when using the nvidia 7xxx series Video Card, in full screen mode, and when you select a menu item with a mouse. This is a temporary fix but may help some simmers to enjoy FSX again. If you can get the sim into windowed mode and use the keyboard to select your options, I have found that I do not get any issues with the Sim "freezing" or crashing. Below are the tips and the direct key controls for FSX which can all be selected just using a keyboard.Keyboard Controls for the FSX MenuIf you are unable to use ALT + Enter to select WINDOWED mode, edit the fsx.cfg to read:[MAIN]Maximized=2HideMenuNormal=0HideMenuFullScreen=1This should make FSX start in Windowed mode

I am using the latest BETA drivers with my GeForce 7950GX2 card and I got the CTD from using menus in SP2. I immediately uninstalled SP2 because that was unacceptable to me. Until there is a fix for this I guess I will stick with SP1 although I really would like the supposed fixes to help with blurry textures that is in SP2.So it appears that in my case using the beta drivers will no resolve the issue either.Brandon

Same problem here. Downloaded and tried the beta drivers and the same thing would happen. It not only happens with the mouse but with any key stroke I hit. I have to in most cases do a cold boot. Nuts. I didn't install Acceleration because I wanted to wait for SP2.Oh well. Bob G.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

SP2 seems to be a little smoother but I get CTD's with it after about 20 min. I tried the both default Baron and the Eaglesoft Twin Commanche. Both did fine up to the point where I got the message that "FSX has stopped working" and it is "looking for a solution". Wonder where it looks? It never seems to find one.Also my Instant Scenery won't run with SP2. I uninstalled SP2 and everything seems to be back running again. Wow, I don't recall any version of MSFS that has been this difficult. Too bad.

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

>Hi Paul.>>Were the so called desert textures on the fixed list on Phil's>blog?>Jim>http://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpg>http://www.hifisim.com/Dont know, Jim. I have the latest drivers: I unchecked the scenery addons in Settings: these were the UTX and Victoria+: It was ok after that: I slowly reloaded the UTX components and it went back to desert, so I uninstalled UTX completely and then reinstalled it. All was fixed by doing that, with no change in anything else - except that the non-sdk-conforming aircraft get an opaque canopy when it rains. The RA Spit is one: it also gets a horrible prop. The B25 is another.UTX and GEX appear to be ok.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Just downloaded and installed SP2. Everything I tried works fine including menus. I have about a 2 FPS increase. I don't have a lot of FSX addons installed but the following worked well:FS Genesis mesh and landclassFSUIPCFSD International Saratoga IITreeXI did not uninstall these first.My system is: AMD 3800+ single core, nVidia 7600GT 256MB, 2GB RAM, XP Pro.For now I am quite satisfied with SP2. I never bought Acceleration and don't plan to.Hope that helps.Ben

That is what I did but no success. I always wonder what the big mystery is with driver install since all it is is erasing some DLLs and a few registry entries. You would think that the vendor would do that as a normal part of any install. At least I have the latest drivers. Thanks for letting us know they were out there.Well, it is easy enough to switch to Window mode BEFORE accessing the menu elements. Probably should be flying instead of messing around anyhow. Since no one will take responsibility, and are hiding behind the political veil of "we cannot reproduce it", it must once again be the customers environment. This is what we get with an open system where no one is responsible. Apple??Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

I've been wondering about this for years. Uninstall, reboot into safe mode, driver cleaning, reboot, install, reboot. Phew!There's gotta be a better way...Regards,Jim Karn

Guest jase439

As a DX9 user, so far, I have realized zero benefit from SP2...just bugginess. I think the DX10/Vista updates may be the only compelling reasons to update to SP2.SP2 is...underwhelming. I'm back to SP1.

so... following on from my earlier post... I got rid of the immediate problem - "Pacific Ocean Desert" textures off the west coast of California by reinstalling UTX. I then did a bunch of testing with the default Cessna, the Eaglesoft Citation II, the LIC Christen Eagle, ** Spit, 109 and P40, the RA Spit, MAAM B25 and the little French 150L, I also also read about (see Phil`s blogs) - where, if the aircraft is not compiled in compliance with the FSX SDK - there may/will be problems with the aircraft: (you can check the first line in the .mdl file (in the model folder): if you find "MDL8MDLH" - then its not compliant: it should be "MDLXMDLH"). The major issue seems to be the canopy becomes opaque when it rains: some gauges appear blank - and some props get pretty ugly. Particularly the RA Spit`s. While these in themselves are not entirely show-stoppers - what has killed SP2 for me is that the performance also went down to the degree that I couldn`t simultaneously run airline and road traffic, and also had to roll back autogen and scenery density/complexity another notch or so. It still "vibrated". I even o/c`d to 3.4 gig without smoothing out. I mostly fly the CoolSky MD80, and run ASX/G, GEX and UTX, so frames and smoothness are pretty important. I cant do this with SDP2. Ive now removed it and that lost performance is recovered. She`s now back to smooth as silk and 25 - 60 almost anywhere.This doesn`t necessarily mean that this is what`s going to happen in all cases - I`m running ATI - but it`s my experience today. SP1, by comparison helped my pc greatly, smoothed right out and became trouble-free. Not so this time.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest Nils79

To be honest, the driver cleaner way is more a placebo effect, but many users are not uninstalling and installing their drivers properly..As far as i know, Nvidia has admitted that there is a driver issue and it will be solved, but i don't know with which driver, so reinstalling FSX will change nothing, but reinstalling drivers may help.The strange thing is, that a few users reported success, after cleaning and installing the latest drivers.@PaulYour problem occurred, because XPack/SP2 replaces the terrain.cfg, so any add-on which makes custom entries, has to be repaired or reinstalled (UTX, Vancouver+, Victoria+, Megasceneries...).

Guest mig71olga

Just downloaded and installed here.CTDs when accesing menu bar...Invisible exterior from all my addons Virtual Cockpits...

FSX FAILS WITH ACCESS TO MENU WHILE IN FULL SCREENTried to find the nVidia culprit (if that is the source of the problem). Using MSCONFIG I was able to prevent the problem by stopping the loading of some nVidia screen management programs. However, while stopping all fixes it, putting some back hits it again as expected. The unfortunate thing is that I could not identify the specific program. I suspect the CPL (control panel program) but the late hour and the need to reboot each test discouraged further testing. Since the involved Microsoft staff makes 6 figures I will leave it to them.Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest Nils79

>FSX FAILS WITH ACCESS TO MENU WHILE IN FULL SCREEN>>Tried to find the nVidia culprit (if that is the source of the>problem). Using MSCONFIG I was able to prevent the problem by>stopping the loading of some nVidia screen management>programs. Nvidia driver services:NvCPLNvMcTraynwizI think NvCPL only provides some extra stuff for the control panel, but i have disabled it and everything works well (i don't use overclocking features and ntune).NvMcTray seems to be a profil loader and nwiz allows the use of more monitors and to expand the desktop across many monitors.