Sign in to follow this  
jdk2

Always been one to stand out from the crowd (SP2).......

Although just as dissapointed as many re what's NOT in SP2, I am in the fortunate position of, thus far, not having anything wrecked by SP2. In fact quite the opposite - if anything, my FSX installation is now smoother than SP1.HOWEVER, this MAY be due to good timing...... I'd had so much trouble with a couple of addons recently, i had just reinstalled FSX by about 10 mins when i saw Phil's post about SP2 going live. That meant i was able to apply it to a clean install.Sorry, that don't help anyone i'm sure - just thought it worth noting though.Thanks

...and in no time, you'll be in there fiddling with the fsx.cfg and be just as disgusted as the rest of us :-lolIt really does look and run nice after a fresh install. Let's hope it stays that way. Regards,Jim Karn

Guest fsxmissionguy

"I'd had so much trouble with a couple of addons recently ..."Which add-ons?

Quck questions since you're running Nvidea..are you having difficulty on shutdown?

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

The problematic addons were not ones that would normally spring to mind.... t'was the PMDG744X singular to start with (some sort of magnetic glitch), then a conflict between the Wilco 737PIC and the PMDG74X. The Wilco addon pretty much destroys my 744 every time i install it. Im running Vista.Re the shutdown Ron.... yes, i did have probs to start with, but they just seem to have gone - for now at least.PS Some great input from you there Ron in t'other thread.EDIT: Sorry, entered this after wrong post.

Thanks Dougal, this confirms what we're seeing with Nvidea cards/Drivers under Vista and either vanilla SP2 or SP2/DX10 Preview.Other team members with ATI cards/Drivers aren't seeing the shutdown issue under Win XP and FSX SP2???More testing needed on our end to provide an overview of our products under SP2.

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Don't know anything about Vista or nVidia issues with shutting down, Ron: I just bumped into this post - but there was a shutdown issue a year or two ago with XP, and a fix was posted somewhere. I had the issue, ran the fix and have no trouble since. I've added it here if you want to try it. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/182024.zip

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Andre, there have been posts here at Avsim wrt Vista/SP2/Nvidea drivers where user elects to leave the sim and shutdown either doesn't happen or there is a loooong wait time and an occasional lockup.We've experienced a few times but it seems intermittent and only related to Nvidea cards/Drivers.

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

>Andre, there have been posts here at Avsim wrt>Vista/SP2/Nvidea drivers where user elects to leave the sim>and shutdown either doesn't happen or there is a loooong wait>time and an occasional lockup.>We've experienced a few times but it seems intermittent and>only related to Nvidea cards/Drivers.>>Ron I was curious since I'm running the 169.12 on ultimate just fine with no lockups...I actually know that previous versions before the 169.09 have the driver timeout on Vista... which maybe could be the reason with the following message:"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, but has recovered."http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/awf1/sign.jpg

André

Yup, it appears that nvidea drivers need a bit more work but I'm sure the right combination will be found at some point. Just making sure that it wasn't related to our product line since SP2 release.:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest firehawk44

"I actually know that previous versions before the 169.09 have the driver timeout on Vista... which maybe could be the reason with the following message:"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, but has recovered."This problem was fixed much longer than the 169 series. It was actually fixed with the 163.44 drivers released in August (20th?). If you were still receiving the error up to the 169 series, you need to install two Microsoft hotfixes released 2-3 months ago or you will continue to receive this error.Best regards,Jim

Guest firehawk44

"then a conflict between the Wilco 737PIC and the PMDG74X"Dougal,This problem I believe is covered in the PMDG forum in one of their sticky's. The Wilco 737 installer evidently corrupts the DLL.XML file and PMDG tells you how to restore the XML file. I recently upgraded to the 737PIC for Vista and that installer did not corrupt my DLL.XML so they may have fixed their installation or I was lucky. Best regards,Jim

>"then a conflict between the Wilco 737PIC and the PMDG74X">>Dougal,>This problem I believe is covered in the PMDG forum in one of>their sticky's. The Wilco 737 installer evidently corrupts>the DLL.XML file and PMDG tells you how to restore the XML>file. I recently upgraded to the 737PIC for Vista and that>installer did not corrupt my DLL.XML so they may have fixed>their installation or I was lucky. >>Best regards,>Jimjim, this is only HALF my problem and yes, like you say, can be manually corrected.I also have some other major AND APPARENTLY NON REVERSABLE damage done to the 744 each and every time i install the 737PIC... LNAV becomes unuseable as the the magnetic headings are all wrong. So far, the ONLY solution that both myself and PMDG have found, is a complete uninstall and reinstallation of FSX!!! Yuk!

>...and in no time, you'll be in there fiddling with the>fsx.cfg and be just as disgusted as the rest of us :-lol>>It really does look and run nice after a fresh install. Let's>hope it stays that way.> >Regards,>Jim Karn You must know what the word assume means. You're assuming that a majority have problems with SP2. I have no problems with it and I'm sure there a lot of folks that don't. I haven't touched FSX.cfg since I installed it along with Acceleration. CraigLian-Li PC60-B Case Corsair HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W Power Supply Gigabyte P35 DS3R Intel Core2Duo E6850 Arctic Cooling Freezer7 Pro Crucual Ballistix 2GB PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) EVGA 7950 GT OC 512 Mb Plextor PX-810SA/SW-BL 18X SATA DVD Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/sec Seagate Barracuda 7200.10250 GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/sec