Sign in to follow this  
GHarrall

Surprises in SP2

After reading many of the posts concerning SP2, I did not expect many of my third party aircraft to display well. So far I have been mostly plesantly surprised. All of my panels seem to display properly along with just about everything else.I do have quite a hanger full of both payware and freeware third party aircraft installed or imported from fS9.My assumption is that the cockpit window and VC problems are unique to Vista/DX10/Preview applications as I have not seen the problem with any of my birds running XPPro/DX9 only. I have to confess that I am not the VC fan that so many are, but just for good measure I have peeked at them and am not aware of any problems on my system.In fact, I really have not been able to see any difference in anything with SP2 so far with the exception of the two following items.For the IFly 747-400, I had to reinstall the bird to get the Autopilot to work. I could not change the speed, heading, or altitude settings until I reinstalled it. It now again flies flawlessly. I have no idea why this happened and it may or may not be tied to the installation of SP2.The only other problem I have discovered so far is on some of my prop planes, with the engines running I have the very undesirable prop display of the big solid circles in the spot view (screenshots attached). This is true of only some aircraft, while others display normally. If anyone knows of an edit or modification as a solution I would appreciate it if you would share it. In fact, with the engines running no prop display at all would be better than the circles.No real horror stories from this end with SP2. Installed with no problems, and with the exception of the above works fine near as I can tell. As I said, I haven't figured out what it does for me either, but it has not harmed anything to my knowledge.Based on the above, I also assume that the expectations concerning SP2 requirement for future third party aircraft in FSX are also unique to Vista/DX10/Preview applications and that they may work with only SP1 in XPPro/DX9. However, I don't see anything SP2 hurts (so far) and will leave it on my system.Happy flying:RTHASUS P5N-E-SLI MotherboardIntel E6600 Core2 Duo CPUZalman CNPS7700-CU RT CPU Fam4 GB KST DII800 MemoryWinXP ProNVIDIA VCG8800GTX 768MB Primary Video Graphics Card21

Guest firehawk44

SP2 has been great for me except it won't allow me to run DX10 Preview with older aircraft/textures. I have uninstalled most of my older commercial aircraft and will only purchase products fully compatible with FSX in the future. I also had to uninstall Flight One's Ultimate Traffic as all their aircraft turned white with DX10 preview running. So it's not fully compatible with FSX with the upgrades installed. In regards to your prop textures, have you checked to see if this problem still occurs in full display. I see you are running FSX in windowed mode. FSX runs much better in full display (FPS wise). If that doesn't fix the problem it is probably the old prop textures that are causing the problem and you'll have to live with it until the textures are upgraded.Best regards,Jim

Guest prdant

This is the same for me, I cannot see any graphics on my UT ai aircraft. I have turned off the DX10. When I load up Crysis Christmas morning I'll see DX10.

Simple Solution for the Prop problem:1. Rename the texture bmp in question. (i.e. blurred_prop.xxx)2. Find an aircraft that has a good prop display. (i.e. Prop2Ext.bmp)3. Copy the good bmp to the aircraft texture that had the problem.4. Remame the copied file to the original that did not work (i.e. blurred_prop.bmp).Seems to work like a charm.The above was for the Super Constellation which was shown in the screenshots. I copied the prop bmp from the Corenado V35.Happy Flying:RTH

Don't hold your breath...Crysis looks virtually identical in DX9 as it does in DX10. In fact, the biggest thing they did was stop WinXP and DX9 users from selecting 'Very High' in the graphics settings menu.There is a hack that lets WinXP users select this setting anyway!Glenn