Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

Addon Scenery Fried by SP2 ??

Guest pomak249

Hi,Just a warning - I installed SP2 today and on launching FSX afterwards I kept getting an error message stating my 'AddonScenery/SCENERY area .115 was missing'. On opening the main FSX folder I discovered my whole AddonScenery/SCENERY folder was GONE !!I created a new empty one which has cured the message but all my addon scenery has disappeared - FRIED !! Thankfully there wasnt a lot but hey what gives ??Anyone else encountered this ?MickUKYep I did have SP1 installed!

Mick, I feel your pain mate.I can't see any advantage in SP2 for 'XP' DX9 users whatsoever. You could have uninstalled it Mick like I did and now everything is 'Hunky-Dorry' again ;-)

Dave Taylor gb.png

I haven't seen that issue - installing either Acceleration or SP2 alone (two different computers).On both computers I had airport data files in the Addon SceneryScenery and individual sceneries under the main Addon Scenery folder setup individually in the Scenery Library/ scenery.cfg.On neither computer did the SP2 or Acceleration install remove anything. The SP2 only computer is XP the Acceleration computer is Vista Ultimate.But I will also say that I backed up both FSX setups before running the updates/ installs.

Guest pomak249

Yep shoulda backed-up I know, just didnt expect a whole folder to be deleted !!Everything else is fine.JUST THOUGHT; Had scenery in there originally for 2004 patched up to FSX wonder if theres a connection?

>Hi,>>Just a warning - I installed SP2 today and on launching FSX>afterwards I kept getting an error message stating my>'AddonScenery/SCENERY area .115 was missing'. On opening the>main FSX folder I discovered my whole AddonScenery/SCENERY>folder was GONE !!>>I created a new empty one which has cured the message but all>my addon scenery has disappeared - FRIED !! Thankfully there>wasnt a lot but hey what gives ??>>Anyone else encountered this ?>>Mick>UK>>Yep I did have SP1 installed!Can you remember exactly what you did from the moment the scenery last worked until the moment you found it deleted? Have you checked the recycle bin for the missing scenery?

> Just a warning - I installed SP2 today and on launching FSX afterwards I kept getting an > error message stating my 'AddonScenery/SCENERY area .115 was missing'. On opening the main > FSX folder I discovered my whole AddonScenery/SCENERY folder was GONE !!> I created a new empty one which has cured the message but all my addon scenery has > disappeared - FRIED !! Thankfully there wasnt a lot but hey what gives ??> Anyone else encountered this ?The exact same thing happened to me, but I had over 70 sceneries installed. I could hardly believe my eyes when I discovered the whole folder is missing. I'm still not sure how any company can release such a clumsy patch that randomly deletes stuff whenever it wants!

If it's an SP2 and or Acceleration problem then why would it not delete everyones Add-On scenery folder? I have both and my folder is as it was prior to installation. CraigLian-Li PC60-B Case Corsair HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W Power Supply Gigabyte P35 DS3R Intel Core2Duo E6850 Arctic Cooling Freezer7 Pro Crucual Ballistix 2GB PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) EVGA 7950 GT OC 512 Mb Plextor PX-810SA/SW-BL 18X SATA DVD Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/sec Seagate Barracuda 7200.10250 GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/sec

Did you read my post? I said randomly. Just like random crashes, it now randomly deletes stuff. Does that make sense?

So how do you know for sure that it was because of the patch? CraigLian-Li PC60-B Case Corsair HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W Power Supply Gigabyte P35 DS3R Intel Core2Duo E6850 Arctic Cooling Freezer7 Pro Crucual Ballistix 2GB PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) EVGA 7950 GT OC 512 Mb Plextor PX-810SA/SW-BL 18X SATA DVD Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/sec Seagate Barracuda 7200.10250 GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/sec

Because my system has been stable all year, and right now it is porked!At least if it happens to you, we gave you a prior warning :)

>Because my system has been stable all year, and right now it>is porked!>>At least if it happens to you, we gave you a prior warning :)As I said to the OP, can you remember exactly what you did from the moment the scenery last worked until the moment you found it deleted? Have you checked the recycle bin for the missing scenery?

Victor, I don't really think he wants help or an explanation. He has gone from saying he lost his scenery folder to "his system is porked" He wants to assume it was because of SP2 without researching the problem which obviously would be of more benefit to forum members. CraigLian-Li PC60-B Case Corsair HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W Power Supply Gigabyte P35 DS3R Intel Core2Duo E6850 Arctic Cooling Freezer7 Pro Crucual Ballistix 2GB PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) EVGA 7950 GT OC 512 Mb Plextor PX-810SA/SW-BL 18X SATA DVD Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/sec Seagate Barracuda 7200.10250 GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/sec

I'm still not sure how any company can release such a clumsy patch that randomly deletes stuff whenever it wants!Patches / Service Packs for any software require that the software be in a certain state of default files or configuration before they run. Every company which releases patches and service packs works the same way.FSX sees certain folders as user customizable and SP2 does not delete them or modify anything except default files in them.Among those folders are Addon Scenery and SimObjects.However, SP2 does have updates for all the default aircraft - so modified aircraft.cfg files in those folders only will probably be overwritten.This is the first I've heard of SP2 deleting the Addon Scenery folder contents - though I will admit I've only read about 50% of the posts complaining about SP2.I know it's too late for the two instances reported here - but the cardinal rule is backup, backup, backup.I never install an SP, or addon without backing up my critical files/ addons. That includes addons from such respected vendors as FSD and Flight1.