Sign in to follow this  
Bell417

Positive thread & TIPS for Dx10/SP2 - PART 2-

Thanks for all the tips. I will certainly try them. The only thing I am not really comfortable with is the over clocking CPU. I have a Q6600 and I use my PC for home office and entertainment. Its only 3 months old and I would hate for it to BBQ although you said its rare. I have also not found a good tutorial or site that I feel confident about as to how to do it.Thanks againBill:-)

Hi Bill,Here are some serious forums.It's worth posting there with your componants (CPU+MB+RAM) and ask for help. A lot of nice guys there, ready to give a hand.They also have easy up-to-date tutorials.* http://www.hardforum.com/* http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/index.php* http://discuss.extremetech.com/forums/default.aspx* http://www.techspot.com/vb/* http://www.motherboardpoint.com/index.php* http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/The main rule is to o/c gently and check step by step with benchmark tools if your PC is stable.It takes time and concentration but again, the result is awesome for FSX which is very CPU dependant and new mobos have security settings that avoid BBQ your PC :--)If something goes wrong you just have to reboot and go back to the default BIOS settings.Believe me, after you understand the basics (FSB frequency and multiplier, CPU speed, FSB:RAM synchronous speeds) it's very easy today to make a safe overclocking with very correct temperatures.Regards,

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Many thanks for the links and your time and effort. I will try an build up the courage :)

David... a few things you stated in this post has really helped, I thank you for your time in putting this together ;) and I made sure to bookmark it! Thanks again.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

It's my pleasure Tim.Thanks for your kind words :--)

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

David,What a wonderful and refreshing post. Deserves to be a MAJOR STICKY !I fall into the category of NON SP2 users who have been frightened to death by the "horrors" reported here and across the FS world.With the work you have done here, I feel confident my reinstallation of FSX, SP1, and SP2 will be successful. Thank you for your input. Cheers to you :-beerchug V Carlo

WAT1460.png

It seems you have changed a few settings since your previous post, like Trilinear and Anisotropic Sample. Also I seem to remember your FSX settings were different (Autogen was lower, wasn't it?) Your previous settings worked great for me, so I will try these too. Although I have to say I tried your settings at the same time I installed SP2, so... maybe SP2 is simply very good and the nVidia setting don't matter THAT much...? ;)I already had my Autogen to Extremely dense with your 'old' settings: I like Autogen a lot and it works well with SP2/DX10! :) Up to now I haven't used nHancer but simply copied the settings to the overall nVidia profile. I wonder what advantage nHancer has, since you can simply change these settings with the default nVidia panel too...?

Many thanks Carlo :--)

Best regards,
David Roch

You are right I have changed few settings with the newest driver.The main change is that I have understood that high fps are not relevent compared to fluidity and non-blurrie sceneries :--)Today I've set the fps to 20 and textures are popping-up much quicker. The old reflex we had with all previous FS versions (highest fps is the best) doesn't seem to apply to FSX.SP2 is a big improvement but I think that Nvidia/nHancer settings are important, particularely when flying at high speed with heavy airliners.The advantage nHancer has compared to Nvidia control panel is the way it deals with AA and AF.As far as you are quite close from the airplane in spot view you won't see any difference. Zoom out and with Nvidia CP you will see jaggies. You won't get them when using nHancer.

Best regards,
David Roch

I tried the new settings, and they seem to work just as good. I have to say though that SP2 introduced hickups... they come at random, but happen a few times every minute: a VERY short freeze. At first I was happy with the high fps while using bloom, water high 2x and extreme autogen, but the more I fly, the more these hickups spoil the fun... Maybe nHancer may help for this too, but I doubt it...

What driver are you using?Are you locking the fps?Try 20, it's a good compromise.Also try without vsynch forced on Nvidia CP, it really works for some configs and not on others.Computers.... :--)

Best regards,
David Roch

Good point about the drivers: I though I did have the latest drivers, but there are alreay new ones...! I used 169.21 and not 169.25. It seems a new one is released almost daily...! ;) I'll see if that makes a difference. Before I installed 169.21 however, I also had those stutters. I have fps set at 25 (20 didn't make a difference, not with 169,21 anyway). I always have vsync off.And yes indeed, computers....... ;)

Okay, I have SP2 working fairly well now but I'm getting micro-stutters and sometimes actual stutters. What can I do about this? If it helps, I have an ATI card.BTW, I was flying the Beaver around Friday Harbor at night and the landing light textures on the ground looked a whole lot better, has anyone else noticed this?

Have you limited the fps to 20-24?This really helps getting rid of micro stutters (well, with Nvidia chipsets)

Best regards,
David Roch

Not 100% perfect yet but IMO the best driver so far for Dx10.

Best regards,
David Roch