Sign in to follow this  
cat

Add-on Recommendations?

Guest Phil75070

I've fiddled with FSX for a little over a year now, but have recently taken it more seriously as I have upgraded my system. I have the following:- FSX Deluxe w/ Acceleration- Cloud 9 X-Class US (was my first acquisition shortly after getting FSX)- Active Sky and X-Graphics- GEX- Ultimate Terrain X- FS Genesis Mesh and landscape (don't like the airports on plateaus, though)I am thinking about the following to round out my collection:- ATC - Radar Contact? - but I read that it is poor for ground guidance. Can the default ATC be used to get one to the runway after clearance is received, then switch over to Radar Contact?- AI Traffic - Leaning toward Ultimate Traffic, but am confused with the various offerings out there (MyTraffic, MyTrafficX, JustFlight's Traffic). Looking for one that has low FPS impact- Aircraft - looking for really just one commercial airliner that offers realism and challeng. Am thinking about Flight1's Ultimate Airliners Super 80. Sounds interesting with the cockpit training system, checklist and procedure guides.Other - something that lets you develop and progress in a "career mode? (Anyone remember Flight Assignment ATP from SubLogic?)- Anything else I shouldn't "live without"? :)Opinions and suggestion would be appreciated! Thanks!

Greetings Phil,Here is my 2 cents on the addons you are considering:Radar Contact - I think this is the most immersive ATC program out there. Very realistic procedures. There is a bit of a learning curve, but it is worth it. As you stated, it does not do ground traffic. What I do is use RC to get weather, clearance, pushback and taxi clearance. I then tune my COM2 to FS ATC and request clearance to get the ground instructions to the active. Once there, I ignore FS' ATC and use RC all the way to landing. After clearing the active, I once again go to FS ATC on COM2 for taxi instructions to the gate.For traffic, I haven't done anything in FSX yet, so I can't really provide good feedback. I have been using Ultimate Traffic in FS9, but have not ported over to FSX yet. The models were not the best, but I have replaced the defaults with Aardvark, Evolve, Fruitstand, etc. It is a bit of work but the results are outstanding. When I get some time I'll start moving my FS9 traffic to FSX. I did try My Traffic in FS9, but was not too happy with it. The models were very simplistic, but it did provide military and GA traffic.Aircraft--In my opinion the LevelD 767 and PMDG 747 are the best available. Very realistic flight models and system simulation. I go back to these 2 AC the most when I want to fly. I immediately upgraded whtn the FSX versions came out, and I have not been dissapointed. I do not have any experience with the MD80, so can't speak to that aircraft, allthough I hear it is very good.The only others I can think of that I consider essential are UTX, GEX and ASX/ASG, which I see you already have.Kylehttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

Kyle

Main Sim PC: P3D v5.2 & MSFS 2020, i9-10850k @ 5.0 GHz, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, ASUS TUF-RTX3080-12G, Dell U3011 30" IPS monitor, G.Skill 32GB 3200 Trident Z 14-14-14, Samsung 512GB 960 Pro NVMe (OS), Samsung 2TB 970 EVO NVMe (Sim), Win 10 Pro 64, Yoko Yoke, Saitex Combat Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant

Guest Phil75070

Kyle,I appreciate your taking the time to comment! I will have to look into the LevelD and PMDG aircraft you recommended. I see those mentioned a lot!Phil

Kyle,A couple of questions regarding PMDG 747 for FSX:I think I may get it.Can you import FSX flight plans into it & convert thesefairly easily to PMDG plans?Can you load up with engines rolling withoutcold & dark start?I'm used to PSS, but it has now disappeared.Thanks,Peter Sydney Australia

I don't think you can load FSX flight plans directly, and I am not aware of a converter. I use FSBUILD to create my flight plans and it exports both FSX and PMDG FMC plans. Some other flightplanners do this as well--I know FS Commanader does.You can load various panel states at startup, so you can have one ready to roll, or cold and dark. You can also save a flight in progress and reload the flight with the panel state intact to continue where you left off.Kylehttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

Kyle

Main Sim PC: P3D v5.2 & MSFS 2020, i9-10850k @ 5.0 GHz, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, ASUS TUF-RTX3080-12G, Dell U3011 30" IPS monitor, G.Skill 32GB 3200 Trident Z 14-14-14, Samsung 512GB 960 Pro NVMe (OS), Samsung 2TB 970 EVO NVMe (Sim), Win 10 Pro 64, Yoko Yoke, Saitex Combat Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant

Thanks Kyle,Just what I wanted to know!Peter Sydney Australia

Guest bstolle

Concerning the planes:The coolsky/flight1 super 80 is definitly one of the best addons you can get for FSX and despite beeing complex, it has a very good framerate.The Level-D 767 is also very good but heavier on the frames.As I have 40fps as a personal minimum, the PMDG 744 is too slow for my system. Out of these three I'd recommend the md80. BerntCapt 767

Hello Peter:You mention previous enjoyment with the FS9 PSS Birds:Just for what it might be worth, the PSS Airbus series will work in FSX if you are willing to do a bit of editing (As well as the IFDG group with the PSS Panel). Do a search on these forums. IMHO they fly equal to the way they did in FS9, including with implementation of the FMC. There is an excellent tutorial by Amedee Vermeire (pss2fsx3.zip) on this subject. I would also suggest that you do an author search (rhodges) for any questions or comments I may have posted.The PSS Concorde flies as well but does have a strange display or two. In spot view, the lower portion of the panel is retained and even shows when you switch aircraft. As long as you stick to the Concorde, with this one exception it seems to fly pretty much as it did in FS9. To switch to another aircraft I need to restart FSX. (Concorde only)The PSS Dash 8 also works, but you have to help it line out on the FMC flight path a bit. Once stabalized, it seems to fly an FMC flightplan reasonably well. ILS approaches are so sloppy that I have to fly them manually (Dash 8 only)One thing I should add I guess. I am primarily a 2D Panel person. If and how well VC's work I have no idea and if you are a purest that direction, these comments may or may not be applicable.Good luck:RTH