Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

missing terminal buildings after SP2 install

Guest Bert1943

Did anyone encounter this problem?Have FSX + SP1 running "fine with low FPS" on W-XP and DX9. I am using default sceneries and no add-ons.After installation of SP2 the terminal buildings on several airports (like EDDL and EHEH) are gone. What remains visible are the aircraft docking gateways and several other buildings. The docking gateways are just standing around in free space. When I uninstall SP2 I get the terminal buildings back. Reinstalling SP2 makes them invisible (transparant?) again.I sure hope somebody has a clue on this effect.Thanks in advanceBert

Guest TANGOFOX

This Happend to me I can see only trees all the houses around TVSC Canouan Airport now disappeared with all the scenery settings MAX , the strobes lights wintips 747 default not working.

I had this problem at KIND after SP2. I don't remember all the details at the moment but I basicly disabled some of the scenery areas in the library (again I don't remember exactly which ones) let the library rebuild, exited the sim, restarted the sim, rechcked the scenery areas previously disabled, let the library rebuild and the terminal buldings came back.Hope this helps.

Now that you mention it - there are several dozen updates to the default scenery files which hold airport data in SP2.Since those are default file names - FS would not see it as a change and try to read the data from the previously cached setup.Forcing a Scenery Library rebuild would clear the cache.

Guest Bert1943

Thanks for your response. I have followed your recipe in various ways, however my original problem remains. Only uninstall SP2 brings the missing terminal buildings back.I'll keep looking for solutions.Bert

Have you added any airport data files to increase / modify parking?I've found at KSFO it you replace/ move the default tower view point to the real location - the new scenery object for the tower cause the default terminal to be excluded - being a higher priority object.Does this disappearance occur both day and night?I've looked at KIND, EHEH and EDDL with no problems.The computer I used has Vista Enterprise and Acceleration loaded.I'll try a computer with WinXP-SP2 and FSX w/ SP1 & SP2 but not Acceleration when I get home this evening.

>Now that you mention it - there are several dozen updates to>the default scenery files which hold airport data in SP2.>>Since those are default file names - FS would not see it as a>change and try to read the data from the previously cached>setup.>>Forcing a Scenery Library rebuild would clear the cache.I have also had a problem at Phoenix with showing only night textures on the airport buildings regardles of time of day. Might a complete scenery library rebuild fix that also?Second question. When you access the scenery library even if you change nothing and exit, the thing rebuilds. Is there a difference between this type of rebuild and doing the uncheck, exit, enter, recheck routine?

Okay some more on EDDL - which is weird.At normal FSX airports - about 25-30% of the jetways become visible at Dense on the Scenery Complexity slider, 50-60% at Very Dense, 100% at Expremely Dense.At Very Sparse - the lowest setting - EDDL displays 27 jetways - which is 100% of the setways.The Terminal building only displays at Normal or higher settings - so at Sparse and Very Sparse you see the jetways hanging in the air with no building behind them.What are your Scenery Complexity slider settings?LIRF is the normal complaint airport about missing scenery - because the airport buildings only display at setting Dense or higher. But the LIRF jetways display in the normal manner - a few at Dense, more at Very Dense, all at Extremely Dense.EHEH works correctly with the jetways only displayed at Very Dense or higher settings.

Guest Bert1943

The funny thing is that I can reproduce the error by installing and de-installing SP2. I did some more digging and finally solved my problem. So with SP2 installed I also have my missing terminal buildings back. Causing the problem was a Texture Folder tweak which I made some 6 month ago. This tweak had to do with Shader technology used in W-Vista. In W-XP (my system) this is not used so I disabled in the FSXTexture folder all files (related to shader technology) with _specular.dds and _bump.dds in the filename. This gave me some more FPS. Re-enabling these files gave me back my terminal buildings. It did not sacrifice my framerate anymore. Once again thank you gentlemen for all your inputs. They pushed me into the right track of correction.Bert Timmerman

Rebuild - I don't know - but I think so.In FS2004 we could see the scenery.dat files, and delete them when we had hung-up scenery issues. In FSX we cannot see the cache files.I'll have to look at Phoenix - but did you see the note about texture files which many people disabled earlier in the FSX run - now needed with SP2 and the FPS draining issues resolved?

>In FS2004 we could see the scenery.dat files, and delete them>when we had hung-up scenery issues. In FSX we cannot see the>cache files.Yes you can, on XP, look in:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataMicrosoftFSXSceneryIndexesGeorge

Now that you mention it, I have applied the specular & bump.dds tweak.I'll reverse that and see if it fixes Phoenix. Thanks!

Thanks - I didn't know that.In Vista the location is:ProgramDataMicrosoftFSXSceneryIndexesIt will be interesting to see if FSX holds cache data for deleted scenery items as much as FS2004 hangs onto that bad data.