Sign in to follow this  
Guest bstolle

autolanding in fsx

Guest delsimflyer

how can I perform an autolanding in fsx? I remember in fs2000 planes landing using autopilot flared automatically and applied reversers themselves, dont know why but this was removed in later versions of fs. can someone tell what actualy happens in a realworld autolanding?currently in fsx I have my own fictious method of setting -100 as v/s in autopilot setting and then pressing the v/s hold switch and throttles idle to flare immediately on crossing the rwy threshold. can this be done on a real 737, 747, etc??

I seem to recall a few freeware addon aircraft in Fs2002 and FS 2004 that could autoland, however they did not match the normal autoland functions of a real aircraft. You will probably have to purchase payware aircraft like Level D,PMDG or PSS to get a proper simulation of autoland functions. Nowadays most major airports do not allow reverse thrust, except in emergency situations because of noise abatement restrictions. Autoland is normally enabled below 1500 feet AGL, and the pilot has to set flaps and landing gear,arm spoilers.The autoland will automatically idle thrust and control flare and rollout and apply autobrakes and ground spoilers if set.Ron

Ron Service

Guest delsimflyer

>Nowadays most major airports do not allow reverse thrust,>except in emergency situations because of noise abatement>restrictions. Autoland is normally enabled below 1500 feet>AGL, and the pilot has to set flaps and landing gear,arm>spoilers.The autoland will automatically idle thrust and>control flare and rollout and apply autobrakes and ground>spoilers if set.>RonI am a little confused; I have heard that landing gear brakes are only applied below 65kts else they get damaged, also stopping a plane entirely using wheels must be proving costly - quicker wear of landing gears and brake discs; and ofcourse longer landing rollswhy is autoland not included in default fsx planes?is the runway required to have some special facility more than a simple ILS to make autolandings possible?

I think that was CTRL-X a land me at the nearest airport feature they threw in starting in FS 95 or 98. It was more or less a demo mode landing. Can't remember what version it was.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Guest bstolle

>I have heard that landing gear brakes are only applied below 65kts else they get damaged, Sounds like a mixup to me. You should not use reverse thrust below 60kts because the engine would be damaged.Below that speed it starts to ingest its own exhaust and maybe small debris. Landing is the easy part for the brakes.The worst case is an aborted take off where you are way faster and heavier. >also stopping a plane entirely using wheels must be proving costly - quicker wear of landing gears and brake discs; Not really, carbon brakes care more about the application cycles than the application force.BTW, no reverse thrust is not the same like no reverse ;)In this case when you land, you immediately select idle reverse only. That way you apply reverse 'thrust', but it's not noisy at all.>and ofcourse longer landing rollsNot in every plane. The autobrakes in the 767 are designed to achieve a specific deceleration rate. The more reverse thrust you apply, the less the brakes are beeing applied.BerntCapt 767

Guest griss0m

haha "Land Me" feature, it used to make me laugh, somtimes it would be 100ft un-stablised, about to crash then ....."Your Plane"

Guest jcomm

Of all the airplanes, default & add-on, I have ever used with any version of MSFS there is only one line of products that are capable of performing a realistic (withing the limitations of MSFS, specially the problems with rw friction, etc...) autoland, including under situations with strong (up to the POH limit) crosswinds, turbulence, etc... - The PMDG 747, now 747xI am a devoted LevelD767 user, but even this acclaimed add-on, one of the best airliners ever designed for MSFS, fails miserably at performing a correct autoland even when under moderate crosswinds.Yesterday I bought the 744x, using the promotional campaign for previous 744 (fs9) users and rusehd testing it on a few circuits around my working place here at LPPT. The winds were gusting and strong, but the "Lady" performed beautifuly each and every autoland.Coupled approaches were also delightful, with the FD properly guiding my "moves"...

Guest bstolle

J. C. Why is it so important that the autoland is perfect with strong crosswind and turbulence?IRL you use autoland only when CAT II or CAT III conditions are present, which occurs only when the fog is really dense.I've never encountered strong crosswind and turbulence IRL when there is fog.I once did an autoland in the real 767 under gusting crosswind conditions for training purposes and it was definitely NOT a good one.BerntCapt 767

Guest jcomm

Bernt,as a real 767 driver you know only too well that autolands are performed for training and required pratice reasons, and of course also under CatII&III. Yet, the real thing while it can bounce and have some problems during thr rollout will certainly do a better job than most MSFS airliners.I seek for such behaviour on MSFS stuff as a requirement for proper implementation of the AFCS/FCS/whatever... implementation. Some people say it is simply not possible to parametrise the MSFS AP or use gauges to aid in that task, in order to achieve some maneuvers (autoland included). I believe PMDG's 744 is a good counter-example :-)The LevelD767 will do the most exquisite things, including landing nose 1st, landing to the side (downwind side) of the rw, not performing the rollout, etc... I believe the rest is not even worth the mention... (maybe AirbusXP...)

Guest ronht

Actually I find that both the PMDG 747-400X and the Level-D 767 do an execellent job with auto-landings as long as you stay with-in the parameters of the autoflight system (10kts cross-wind) and make sure you have the landing reference speed set correctly. The only difference that I've found is that the Level-D 767 doesn't track runway center-line as well on roll-out as the PMDG 747. ron

>BTW, no reverse thrust is not the same like no reverse ;)>In this case when you land, you immediately select idle>reverse only. In practical terms, does this mean that on landing, you would *not* apply reverse thrust on the throttles, but rather you would move the throttles to idle?RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest bstolle

The thrustlevers should be already at idle (latest) upon touchdown.After that you just select idle reverse.IRL you bring the reverse levers to the first stop which unlocks and deployes them.Thrust is now beeing deflected without more than idle thrust applied.In FSX it's just a single tap on the F2 key to get the reverser buckets/sleeves to deploy.Unfortunately only the default FSX 747 has an indication in the cockpit that the reversers are deployed. It's the 4 green REV letters that appears above the EPR gauges.Furthermore the reverser animation is wrong on all aircraft (even some payware jets!)As soon as the reverser is unlocked it should fully deploy, and not, the more thrust, the more deployment.Regards BerntCapt 767