Sign in to follow this  

SP2-Full Screen Menus - FSX crashes - My Fix

This may be a duplicate but.....FSX/SP2 consistently fails when in full screen mode and you access the menus. Seems to be related to nVidia video. After lots of "messing around" I sent a trouble report to Microsoft. While awaiting an answer I read some of the troubleshooting tips. One of the obvious ones was to:Use MSCONFIG (run msconfig)Disable all Startup ProgramsHide all Microsoft ServicesDisable all remaining servicesRebootWell it worked!!! I can now access the FSX menus with no issues. I did restart my firewall.I think that there is also a performance increase but that may be a placebo effect. So, for now I am happy with SP2 since it has given me noticeable FPS improvement (close to 20%) and reduced my FSX load times. I am sure that others will have different results given the probably million -plus permutations possible in the PC environment.Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

After further testing (messing around) I found the culprit - FRAPS. I have been using Fraps without problems since I found it several years ago. Now it turns out to cause an FSX full screen problem. I assumed that the common denominator was nVidia. That led to hours rebooting and configuring without results. Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

I also have fraps running at all times. Good find, I will test this on my system. if FRAPS is indeed the cause that might help nvidia nail down the driver issue.

I have an Nvidia 8800 GTS. I had no CTDs with FSX - SP1. However I'm noting more menu CTDs since SP2 when in unlimited frames mode as opposed to limiting the fps. Would that be related?Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

The only problem I have had has been when you open a pulldown menu while your are in full screen mode. If your problems are somewhat frequent I suggest that you become familiar with MSCONFIG using the Run command under your Start button (lower left). MSCONFIG has a Program tab and a Services Tab. You should be able to safely use the Program tab to disable all of the programs it lists (there is a disable all button). Similarly under Services tab Hide all of the Microsoft services (one button) and the Disable all the services that remain. This gives you a pristine setting without all of the baggage Windows needs for the many functions that have no use in FSX.Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

What I don't understand here and I could be wrong but wasn't/isn't FSX supposed to run better in windowed mode then in full screen?I thought i'd read that someplace but really dont remember.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Can anyone direct me in the right direction here. I can't fly in the full screen mode. The screen flashes on and off every second. In the window mode with the pull down menu, I get unbelieveable performance, so I do not make a big issue of it. What is this all about? I have a Dell Quad Core 3.5 GHTZ, Vista, FSX, SP2, dual 768 8800 GTX cards with dual 24" monitors.Any solution why I can't go to full screen?

Paul Gugliotta

On my system they are about equal. However, I have seen significant differences but probably while trying tweaks. Given the thousands of permutations in systems and settings everyone has had some variation of experiences. The short of it is, that without a gold standard no one really knows what to expect.>What I don't understand here and I could be wrong but>wasn't/isn't FSX supposed to run better in windowed mode then>in full screen?>I thought i'd read that someplace but really dont remember.>Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

It worked! I Disabled FRAPS and the menus now work as they should.

Guest Nils79

Before i had a widescreen TFT, i also used 2 monitors, but i had only one graphics card and i couldn't use the fullscreen mode, because of the flashes you are describing. If i remember it correctly, it would work, if you disable AA. But that's no usable solution...

What worked for me was to download the new 169.21 drivers from Nvidia. They are not the beta version anymore and Whol. certified.This is for XP users only with Nvidia GeForce cards. Bob G.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

Guest Mike94

i wonder if anybody can confirm that the 169.21 WHQL driver solves the menu-crash issue with SP2??Cheers,Michael

I've got the 169.09 drivers. I'll try the .21 with FRAPS running when I get home.

SP2 on XP/DX9 working fine for me using 169.21 driver and 8800GTX.I waited for positive news about this driver release before installing SP2.Regards,Rich

Running Acceleration, XP, & DX9 with my 8600GT and menu crashes are now gone in full screen mode with this new driver.