Sign in to follow this  
Lord Farringdon

conversion of traffic files from FS9 to FSX

Hello.I was hoping someone could recommend a quick (and more importantly, easy) tool to convert FS9 AI traffic files so they are compatible with FSX.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

I use AIFPC - available on this thread - http://www.evolveai.com/forums/showthread....23781#post23781It will correct the days of the week change in FSXIt will correct the airport designator codes where changes have occured.It will modify the .bgl files so they are compatible with TDBB generated traffic files - default aircraft, ships and road traffic.Only TrafficDataBaseBuilder will produce truely FSX standards compliant files - but AIFPC makes the TrafficTools sourced files compatible with FSX.

>So if they are not truely compatible, what kinds of things>are missing?In my experience doing conversions (and I have done several dozen), is what that means is, AIFPC-converted plans do not work 100% of the time. They work 95% of the time.In one recent instance, I converted Project AI's IranAir flight plans. I had to prepare TDBB files and do it the old-fashioned way.Generally failed conversions do 1 of two things:1) crash FSX to desktop, or2) the bgl file eliminates all FSX traffic (meaning it is still seen as an FS9 bgl in the eyes of FSX. That means the conversion failed.)In general, any converter that does not use the TDBB compiler is not generating a TRUE BLUE FSX traffic bgl file.It's kind of akin to AFCAD, which technically did not generate a true FS8/FS9 bgl file, because it did not use the bglcomp compiler. Yet it worked, almost all the time! That's kind of the situation we have with FS9 --> FSX traffic bgl conversions.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Is there a simple way to get it into a TRUE FSX traffic bgl file? Or, does it have to be done from scratch with MS's tools?I don't see any traffic files in the library for FSX. Has nobody really successfully completed this stuff yet?

>Is there a simple way to get it into a TRUE FSX traffic bgl>file? Or, does it have to be done from scratch with MS's>tools?>>I don't see any traffic files in the library for FSX. Has>nobody really successfully completed this stuff yet?Alternative is this tool works great :-)FP_FS9_FSXhttp://aifs.pvdveen.net/http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/awf1/sign.jpg

André

>>Is there a simple way to get it into a TRUE FSX traffic bgl>>file? Or, does it have to be done from scratch with MS's>>tools?>>>>I don't see any traffic files in the library for FSX. Has>>nobody really successfully completed this stuff yet?>>Alternative is this tool works great :-)>FP_FS9_FSX>>http://aifs.pvdveen.net/>>http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/awf1/sign.jpg I use this tool with good results:bglfpfsxconvert02.zip It is available on Lamont Clark's web site ( Google search ) Paul

Wide-5.jpg

>Is there a simple way to get it into a TRUE FSX traffic bgl>file? Or, does it have to be done from scratch with MS's>tools?>That's right, it must be done using the TDBB compiler that comes with the SDK...to be "technically" to the FSX SDK specs.>I don't see any traffic files in the library for FSX. Has>nobody really successfully completed this stuff yet??? Here's the one I did:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxai&DLID=106615As with FS9 flight plans, you must download the appropriate aircraft and paintjobs...otherwise the flight plans will do you no good.I've done about a dozen more, but I would have to get permission from the original flight plan authors to upload them. In the case of Copa Airlines, I asked Carlos A. Narvaez-Diaz for permission and he gave it.I decompiled his FS9 plans, tweaked them, and then ran them through the TDBB compiler.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

Rhett and/or Reggie.I am using AIFPC as you suggested Reggie. With all the discussion going on right now about backwards compatibility, I haven't been game enough to install SP2. If I do, can I expect all my FS9 AI aircraft to go wierd on me? If so, will this just affect the aircraft or will it also affect the FS9 flightplans converted through AIFPC? Terry :)

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

>Rhett and/or Reggie.>>I am using AIFPC as you suggested Reggie. With all the>discussion going on right now about backwards compatibility, I>haven't been game enough to install SP2. If I do, can I expect>all my FS9 AI aircraft to go wierd on me? If so, will this>just affect the aircraft or will it also affect the FS9>flightplans converted through AIFPC? >>>Terry :) All of my AI aircraft seem to be working fine, with 1 exception:I have noticed the prop discs on Henry Tomkiewicz's Shorts 360 turboprop to be off with SP2. I think I can fix that by tweaking the prop texture but I have not had time to mess with it yet.The flight plans, etc. all seem to work 100% as before.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

Whew! Sigh of relief. Downloading SP2 now. Merry Xmas Rhett and thanks to both you and Reggie for all your helpful support this year to us AI nuts who ask so many dumb and repetitive questions, but whose hobby is greatly enhanced by having you guys casting an experienced eye over our shoulder! :-beerchugTerry

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.