Sign in to follow this  
Guest Phil75070

FSX Reccomendations...

Guest Vince333

Thanks in advance..After 4 months or so of having FSX and not using it, I recently built a new box to accommodate FSX, specs below. There are many, many suggested tweaks, etc. from various sites.Can you suggest the MUST HAVE proven tweaks/files such as runway lights, clouds, etc., etc.?So far frame rates etc. do not seem to be an issue with new box. FSX runs fairly well with most sliders maxed or near max.Thanks..VinceBox Specs...OS: Duel Boot, win XP Pro, Vista Ultimate 32 BitMB: Asus P5K Prem. P35+ICH9Chip: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750Video: GeForce 8800GT 512 PCIeRam: 4Gb DDR2 667HD. Two 250GB Sata 7200I havent loaded FSX in Vista yet for comparison, but will in the future. Has anybody noticed an improvent in performance from XP/Vista or vice versa?

For Vista, the two biggest tweaks are to disable UAC and DEP, from what I understand.Keep your hard drive defragged regularly.Other than that, there are no "must have" tweaks anymore, in my opinion.Look at the "System Optimization" pinned thread in the Hardware Forum here at AVSIM for good tips to implement at your leisure. None of them are mandatory tweaks, but the long thread could be something you might want to peruse at your convenience.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Phil75070

Rhett,I read everywhere that disabling UAC is not a good idea, but I have done it. I am behind a router, Window's Firewall is enabled, I use an anti-virus so I figure I am pretty secure, or no less secure than I was with XP, anyway. What is behind your recommendation regarding DEP as I have not seen the recommendation to disable DEP anywhere before?Phil

What is behind my recommendation to disable DEP is the fact that many Vista gurus appear to be doing it. I, however, am not one of those people. I am merely relaying information that I have encountered. I would suggest that you research it. I know I will be, as I plan a move to Vista in a few months time. I am going to find out everything I can on it.Look for a recent thread that Geof Applegate participated in (GeofA), in which he stated that he recently switched to Vista, and one of the first things he did was disable UAC and DEP.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

Phil,I might add that it appears disabling DEP is done to make the OS behave better. In other words, if Vista doesn't allow a process to run, because of DEP, then many users appear to be disabling DEP for that reason.I do not know how this would affect FS, or add-ons.I would think it would be a reduction in security, though. Just a pain for many users who had an app work perfectly in XP, only to have it fail in Vista.It's good to bring up this topic.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

Guest Phil75070

In 32-Bit Vista Ultimate, DEP is on by default for "essential Windows programs and services only". One can enable it for all programs then proceed to exclude specific programs if you run into problems. Enabling memory protection in IE7 is basically the same thing. DEP was introduced in Windows XP Service Pack 2 and can be hardware or software enabled depending on the CPU. I have been running Vista for about a month with the default setting I mentioned above and have not run into any issues, or at least none that I can definitely attribute to DEP. :)Phil