Sign in to follow this  
Guest kdundon

Tech Question For FSUIPC & WideFS Users

Hi GuysI've been trying, without success, to setup the above to use FSX and FSCommander across a network. I was working with Pete yesterday, but he's off now for christmas, so thought i'd ask here.I have Vista on the main PC and XP on the client. That in itself can cause upsets i know, but it does appear that ALL networking tasks between them are fine.I simply can't the WideClient to connect to FSUIPC though. They both report they're waiting for connections, but somehow, just don't manage it.At one point, i had it all working with FS9, but even that's not connecting now.Obviously, i've tried all the basics..... turning off the firewall and even Defender. I've also switched from wireless to ethernet, and set both PCs to static IP addresses.I know the network is setup correctly, as FSCommander is up & running, and can access the correct databases. It's just the FS9 & FSX connections i can't make.I'd really appreciate any input here guys.Thanks

Guest lingfors

IIRC, I too had some problems getting FSUIPC/WideFS to run properly over a Vista/XP network (although FSX is running on the XP box, and my laptop is running Vista, i.e. he opposite way you have your network setup if I understand correctly). However, I got it working eventuelly, so I'm pretty sure you should be able to as well eventually.The two things that strike me immediately isa) have you set up FSUIPC/WideFS to use the correct ports?:( are both boxes in the same workgroup?

It is apparently an Vista/XP issue. Not mixing OS's is not a new problem. I am using XP Pro and XP over a network and FSC works fine. Also:1. Share the FSC folder on the client.2. What AV Firewall are you using?Bob..

Guest kdundon

I have Vista Ultimate on my FSX computer and XP Pro on my client computer and have no problems connecting. One thing to look at is what port Simconnect is using and what port Widefs is using. This got me a couple of weeks ago cause I was using 8002 for both. I changed Simconnect to 8100 and now it works great. Ken

I'm pretty sure simconnect by default uses port 500. WideFS uses 8002 as you know. I use a mixed OS network as well but in reverse. My WideClient/Simconnect-client is on Vista and my FS's are on WinXP.In a mixed environment which includes Vista, you need to add the "Link Layer Topology Discovery" protocol to all non-Vista boxes on the network. This protocol is enabled by default on Vista.You can download it from MS here:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Thanks guys, didn't realise i needed to install LLTD on the XP box. Just downloaded to my laptop, and will try later.The first thing Pete suggested was port settings, so i've tried various. Unless it runs on it's own, i don't think i have or use Simconnect. Not even sure what it is.I run no 3rd party firewall - just Windows and the router. Never had a problem with that setup in about 8 years, so try to keep things simple.Both systems are almost new installs - no clutter on board.

Well, i've done the above but still can't get them to talk to each other. Most bizarre.Although i can't get ANY OTHER networking tasks to fail, might it be the router? Could it be worth bypasing the wired router, using instead a direct connection with an ethernet cross-over cable?I just can't think of anything else to try.All the best

Please post the contents of you FSUIPC.ini, windeclient.ini, FSUIPC.log, Wideclient.log, and WideFS.log.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Baring and firewall issues and assuming you can ping both boxes or see them in Windows Network Neighborhood, I would next delete (or rename) the wideclient.ini file so that it creates a new one when next executed. It looked a bit different than mine. If that doesn't work, then delete or rename the FSUIPC4.ini file so that a new one is created after the next itteration of FSX. Make sure port 8002/TCP is open in both firewalls (server & cleint).Good luck...

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

hey AlAny more ideas for me:-hmmm I am actually network administrator for several local charities near me, so i'm not a complete simpleton where networking is concerned.I have to say though..... this has me beat! It's just totally bizarre.Both PCs will happily ping each other, and i can navigate into, and change any FSUIPC or WideFS files from both directions.Come on guys...... a beer for the first correct solution:-beerchug

I had a very weird network issue on my new Vista installation last week regarding only e-mail and https connections. All other connections, including http pages and workgroup browsing was still working. I fought this for two days. In the end, a simple uninstall, reboot, and reinstallation of the network driver on the vista box had me up in running in minutes.At this point, if I were you, I would uninstall and reinstall the network adapter drivers on both boxes.He he he, I really like my beer, especially when it's free - :-beerchug

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Ah..... not so fast that man. All is working perfectly now for my FS9 installation. No idea how or why that stared to work. So it's not a hardware or driver problem.The sharing settings for my FSX folders are identical to the FS9 folders!The plot doeth thicken i think;)

No real answers, but just some of the procedures i would run through :)Try a crossover cable as you suggested, this will remove the router/hub from the problem.Can you test by temporary enabling the guest accounts?Can you run the programs using the right click "runas administrator"?Can you copy a file from one pc to other i.e create a *.txt file, copy from one share to other, try it both ways, if yes can you edit the text file from either PC. Just trying to make sure you have full rights to the file, read/write/execute/delete.Check the shared folder permissions tabs. Open up the ip properties for your xp network conection, on the general page double click on internet protocol tcp/ip to bring up properties, click on advanced, uder WINS tab, put a tick in enable netbios over tcp, may also need to do this on vista.The only other network fault i can think of is a corrupt tcp/ip stack.You can correct this on xp, by opening up a msdos box command prompttypenetsh winsock reset catalogThis will restore xp default ip stack, (you need xp sp2 installed to do this).A reboot will be needed.John