Sign in to follow this  
rpowers

I need advice on clean reinstall on new computer

Here is my hopefully well thought out plan to do complete reinstall on new computer:1. FSX2) SP13) Acceleration4) UTX USA & Canada5) UTX Updates6) GEX & Updates7) XGraphics & Updates8) ASX & Updates9) FSUIPC newest10)JAB & Update11) TrackIr & Updates12)Editvoicepack (FS9)13)TreesX14)Pinic15) Victoria PlusTHEN I want to copy and overwrite my current backups of Add on scenery,effects,gauges,modules,rewards,scenery,simobjects,sound and texture.Also my airlines.cfg to where it is now.Is this a feasible plan?Will it work?Any flaws?Any advice will be greatly appreciated.Thanks,Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

The sequence looks fine to me. FWIW, I dropped TreeX a while back. Also, if applicable, backup any custom AI traffic and FP files and put them back somewhere during your sequence. Be careful with the copy & pasting over freshly installed files. I prefer to use the properly installed files, but backup little things, like custom (line specific) changes to FSX.cfg, PMDG keyboard file, LVD keyboard file, AFCAD files, FSPassengers database file, etc...Good luck...

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest Nils79

Could work, if you use your old scenery.cfg and terrain.cfg. If you have Flight1 products, you have to reinstall them. It's also good, to really install things like FSUIPC (or Cloud9 add-on manager) and not only copy them. Good luck! :)

I am planning on installing FSUIPC.I have cloud 9 in my add on scenery library.If I copy over add on scenery folder and scenery folder won't FS rebuid it anyway?Why would I need to use my old scenery and terrain cfgs?Thanks,Ron

Guest Nils79

Sorry, my fault! I thought you only want copy your add-ons, but if you reinstall them, you don't need your scenery.cfg. Also if you are installing UT and Victoria, you don't need to save your terrain.cfg.Sorry!

I am going to copy my entire add on folder into new install.Then I will have to activate each scenery in the library.That should do it,right?Thanks for the help.Ron

Guest Nils79

Yes, i think. But i would do that only with freeware sceneries. And check your worldscenery folder, perhaps there are some files which are needed (e.g. files to correct the elevation of an airport, or custom traffic files etc).

As you can see from my list I am reinstalling all payware scenery.I think they all make backups of my original stuff before installing.Then I am going to copy my backup scenery folder in it's entirety into new install.I have FS Genesis world mesh in the sceneryworldscenery along with traffic bgls.Justin said it was OK to do it this way.I guess what I am saying is my plan should work otherwise what is the point of making backups everytime before you install something new?At least that's my reasomimg on doing it this way.Thanks,Ron

You can cross SP1 off the list if you're installing Acceleration.Steve

Are you sure?I thought Acceleration only included SP2.Thanks,Ron

Quoted from Phil Taylors Blog :Acceleration will be available in late October. FSX-SP2 will be available sometime after Acceleration Pack and before Christmas. Edit:Acceleration includes SP2 bits, and SP1 and thus does not require SP1 to be pre-installed as there is room on the DVD for it, but the downloadable SP2 does require FSX-SP1 to be installed.Steve

Hey,Thanks for that.I missed it in the forums.Ron