Sign in to follow this  
moggel

Status on DX10?

I don't have Vista so I'm a bit out of the loop here. As I understand it the DX10 support in FSX right now is a "preview". What does that mean technology-wise?Vista has been out for a year now and DX10 was supposed to be release "short after". Can anyone fill me in?Cheers/Jonas

DX10 wasn't released short after: it was released a year after. And it's called preview because it only adds a few things: it's not a full blown DX10 patch.

Guest firehawk44

"Vista has been out for a year now and DX10 was supposed to be release "short after"."DX10 was included with Vista so they were released on the same day. If you want to experience DX10, you have to purchase Vista, buy a DX10 compliant video card, and purchase a system with tons and tons of CPU power. There are some games out there that look pretty good with DX10 enabled. I don't think FSX is near that but they do have some DX10 functions enabled. Perhaps commercial developers for FSX addons will expand DX10 functions in their respective products in the future. It is unlikely though as I understand many commercial developers are having major issues with the new FSX technology.Jim

So, if I understand it correctly, the "preview" aspect only applies to FSX which currently supports only a sub set of DX10 features. The current version of DirectX 10 is a full blown release then?/Jonas

Hi Jonas,Microsoft wrote DirectX10 and included it as part of Vista. There's an update to DX10 called DX10.1 though it's going to require a new video card to utilize its new features. Aces used the code from the DX10 API and enabled a few of its features in FSX, hence the moniker "preview".Phil Taylor goes into excruciating detail about the process throughout his blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/default.aspxRegards,Jim Karn