Sign in to follow this  
Guest TonyPiech

Can't View Progressive Taxi Indicators

Guest TonyPiech

I'm running FSX SP2 in DX10 with a nVidia GTX8800 using what I believe are the latest drivers (1.6925). The graphics are very nice but I can't view the yellow tax indicators when turning on progressive taxi. I've adjusted a variety of display settings, but getting the same result. The progressive taxi indicatiors flash for an instant when turned-on, then quickly disappear. My current display settings are:1920x1200x32Anistropic-Anti aliasingPreview DX10Light BloomAdvancedAnimationsGlobal Texture- Very HighWhat adjustment can I make to display the taxi indicators.

>I'm running FSX SP2 in DX10 with a nVidia GTX8800 ... but I can't view the yellow tax indicators when>turning on progressive taxi. >What adjustment can I make to display the taxi indicators.It's...uhmm...a feature introduced in DX10/SP2 by the interaction of the nVidia drivers with FSX. There's nothing at present you can do to eliminate it, short of reverting to DX9.Regards,Jim Karn

Guest TonyPiech

Jim, thanks for the quick response. Guess the only thing I can do is take-off from the active runway and end the flight at landing as I get off the runway. It's kinda hard to follow ATC with their runway directions within FSX.Hopefully nVidia will come-out with some better drivers soon to correct this problem.

Guest firehawk44

I just noticed this problem too with DX10 Preview enabled. It does work without DX10 enabled. I have the same card/settings as you have. I'm hoping this is just a video card driver problem and that NVIDIA is looking for a solution for this AND the shimmering on runways and airport taxiways with DX10 enabled.Best regards,Jim

You could always get the airport diagram. Kinda fun that way.I did hear that the new ATI cards coming out don't have this problem in DX10. But for all of us who spent hundreds on dollars on NVidia get updated corrected drivers soon. BTW - there are about 5-6 other issues in DX10 that apparently are ok in ATI but no good in NVidia.

Guest fsxmissionguy

This also occurs in DX9 installs on XP with a non-DX10 card. I haven't tracked down the where's and when's of the issue, but I have noticed it from the cockpit view.If you turn your view slightly, you can usually see it pop back into view.

Guest SpeedBird192

It's not a nVidia nor ATI problem, both cards will NOT show Progressive Taxi under DX10 Preview mode. It is an FSX DX10 bug. There are also some other bugs in "Scenery Cast Shadows".Following the ATC's directions is difficult, but you can use these hints:1. Read the taxiway signs, black background and yellow number/letter indicates the taxiway you're on.2. Yellow background black number/letter with arrows indicates the direction to go to get on that taxiway.3. Write down the ATC instructions prior to taxi or scroll ATC window4. Try to slew the view around so that you can see taxiway signs during pushback5. After landing (on larger airports with terminals left and right) it can be a 50/50 for which direction to turn off6. If you picked the right way off runway, then the best you can do is follow taxi signs using the same procedures above but when you get close to the terminal, you'll just have to pick an open gate and park it (sometimes you might see airport vehicles/personel waiting for you, but they could also be waiting for another AC)In the real world the pilot/co-pilot/navigator will have access to landing airports layout.The other option is to go back to DX9. Of course, if FSX were released as open source, we developers could actually go ahead and fix this problem and many others to give end user community a better experience.I brought up the "Open source" discussion in the Francios thread that got deleted by Tom A. There was actually some resistance to the idea, which I find ming boggling because it would ultimate bring the end user a better experience and keep this hobby alive.Rob.

Guest SpeedBird192

No, I have an ATI 2900XT and it's a no go. I also have nVidia 8800GTX and it's a no go. It's an accuracy shift problem introduced with DX10, hence why DX9 code path works fine. Not saying that ATI/nVidia can't produce a driver to compensate for the problem, but I'd be amazed if they do.

>I just noticed this problem too with DX10 Preview enabled. >It does work without DX10 enabled. I have the same>card/settings as you have. I'm hoping this is just a video>card driver problem and that NVIDIA is looking for a solution>for this AND the shimmering on runways and airport taxiways>with DX10 enabled.>>Best regards,>JimIt's not a vid driver bug. It is something that is *not* in DX10 mode.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest TonyPiech

If it's a DX10 bug, and not a nVidia/ATI driver problem, then something is really amiss. Either Microsoft needs to develop DX10 Sp1 or Aces needs to peform an update on FSX SP2. How did MS/Aces miss something like this? Guess I'll try the "Follow Me" patch which has a Taxi guiding me to the runway/gate until something develops to make the taxi guides viewable.OOPs: Follow Me costs 8.39 Euros to download. I think this is a conspiracy by MS/Aces to get you to spend more money on something that should normally work when developed/distributed.

Guest TonyPiech

Guys, success,... I found a solution, it doesn't resolve the problem when viewing from the cockpit or most of the outside views. But the good news is it works in the Top-Down View!!! So until MS with DX10 or ACES with FSX gets it fixed, we can view the yellow taxi guides from the top down view. No need to purchase the "Follow Me" addon, and follow the yellow taxi vehicle. I was just fiddling with top-down view and noticed the yellow guides; you generally need to zoom-in from the top-down screen to see them clearer, in my default settings for top-down Icouldn't see them at first, but after zooming-in [= key] you can see them clearly. Zoom-out [- key] to get a wider view.

Guest SpeedBird192

Rhett,Actually it IS in DX10 mode, as other are finding out, you can see the progressive Taxi in some extreme circumstances. I saw them briefly once (the where white on a black layer), but then the taxiway texture got mapped and they disappeared.I did the zoom from top view, but you really have to get it just right and it doesn't work for all airports.Follow me -- wondering when that would come out. Maybe Aces should include it in SP2 free update.Rob.

Guest TonyPiech

Rob, I tried to view the progressive taxi guides in a variety of US Airports, the guides show-up and are visable from the top-down view when zooming in a bit for all of the airports that I tried. At least it works for me. Give me some airports where they don't work for you and I'll see if I get the same or different result.