Sign in to follow this  
Guest codkilla

FSX SP2 Buggy?

>The blame unfortunately does fall on MS shoulders. I have run>the latest Nvidia drivers on an 8800 GTS card. With the latest>drivers FSX with sp1 is flawless no CTDs but, add SP2 and the>CTDs begin. Obviously SP2 is flawed. However, we're stuck with>it with no help in the future so the only thing is to hope for>clever simmers to come up with work arounds.I don't think so! Explain how - if you can - that I can run FSX+SP2 with NONE of the problems cited here and elsewhere?The only difference being that I have an ATI Radeon 2400 Pro DX10 card rather than an nVidia card?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>I don't think so! Explain how - if you can - that I can run>FSX+SP2 with NONE of the problems cited here and>elsewhere?>>The only difference being that I have an ATI Radeon 2400 Pro>DX10 card rather than an nVidia card?My point is that at the very _least_ MS should be lighting a fire underneath someone at Nvidia to get this fixed. I see no evidence of that. Maybe they need to implement a work-around for Nvidia's bug but I don't see any chance of that either. If that doesn't work, maybe MS should put up an ATI splash screen when FS loads. The point is their product doesn't work for many people. I've just gone through and re-installed again following David's instructions to the letter and still get 1/2 the fps in DX10.There are a bunch of add-on's I'd like to buy for FSX but I cannot justify in my own mind spending another dime on FSX when the platform is broken. So in that respect, if I were a third-party developer, I'd be lighting a fire underneath Aces to do whatever it takes to fix things before my business collapses. Eaglesoft and other vendors have some nice aircraft I would buy today were not for the lack of confidence I have with FSX.Don

Guest Stoopy

Running ATI here as well (1650 PRO 512MB) and not having any issues, windowed or full mode, no CTD's, full menu access, fully stable, FSX Accell/SP2.

>My point is that at the very _least_ MS should be lighting a>fire underneath someone at Nvidia to get this fixed. I see no>evidence of that. Maybe they need to implement a work-around>for Nvidia's bug but I don't see any chance of that either.Don, I've posted here (and elsewhere) until I'm blue in the face just how the graphics pipeline from FSX actually works...The simple fact is that, "lighting a fire underneath someone at nVidia" aisde, there's not one single thing ACES (or any game studio for that matter) can do once their output passes through the DX10 API...That is the whole purpose of the API to begin with; to make the "input" totally hardware agnostic.The simple fact that other DX10 capable games are currently experiencing many of the same problems points the finger squarely at nVidia's driver as the problem. Unfortunately, every incremental driver release is following the 'fix one thing, break two others' model at present... -roll

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest codkilla

To be honest I am a tad miffed as to why they (Aces) bothered with this whole DX10 debacle in the first place. I believe (and you will not convince me of otherwise) that the end result of the DX10 preview you have on your hands now, is purely to try and justify the promises of the wonderfull DX10 experience that was fortold upon release of FSX and Vista. They just didnt dare leave DX10 out, and the reason we run fine on SP1 and not so on SP2 is because of whatever coding was done to add the DX10 preview. Its that part of the coding which has botched up the menus and causing lockups for those of us still on XP. Fact is, that for those like me still on XP with a 7 series nvidia gfx card, SP1 is as far as we can go with XP. Personally I dont fly online and FSX runs great via SP1 which I am happy to do....but what of the useless Acceleration pack I am left with? I was assured by the minimum specs that it would run fine on my system. It dont. Are Microsoft going to offer those with similar problems to me a full refund on this product? naaa...I didnt think so neither.I am a sales assistant for an electrical retail chain in the UK (COMET PLC) and I'm sure if I went about my business in the way Microsoft has conducted this FSX debacle, I would be appearing on some consumer-watch TV programme bringing my companys name into disrepute.but then what does it matter...its Microsoft...they can handle it. (does it matter?)just my opinionBill

Guest garwig2

>...butwhat of the useless Acceleration pack>I am left with? I was assured by the minimum specs that it>would run fine on my system. It dont....In addition to the performance enhancements of SP2, Acceleration has given me 2 cool new payware quality aircraft (I would say 3, but the helo is a disappointment), several missions, and working aircraft carriers. All run great for me. If none of these things run fine in your system, I suspect the problem is in your system.-GaryPentium 3 gig dual processors2 gig RAMWindows Vista Home Premium

Guest codkilla

>>...butwhat of the useless Acceleration pack>>I am left with? I was assured by the minimum specs that it>>would run fine on my system. It dont....>>In addition to the performance enhancements of SP2,>Acceleration has given me 2 cool new payware quality aircraft>(I would say 3, but the helo is a disappointment), several>missions, and working aircraft carriers. All run great for me.>If none of these things run fine in your system, I suspect the>problem is in your system.>>-Gary>>Pentium 3 gig dual processors>2 gig RAM>Windows Vista Home Premium You misunderstand sir, its not wether individual elements of the Expansion pack works, its what SP2 that comes with the pack BREAKS. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my "system", as well as being a salesman I am a comp engineer (build,fix systems etc) and keep all my own systems very streamlined and optimized for whatever purpose they serve.p.s. SP2 brings minimal "performance enhancements" to FSX on XP DX9 on ANYONES system.