Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

FSX Performance

Hello all, I did a search but after spending hours wading through posts that had nothing or little to do with my question I thought I'd post it for myself. I got a new 320g hard drive for christmas and added it as another drive. Finally, here is the question. Does FSX perform better on it's own hard drive and is it worth me uninstalling FSX, sp1 and acceleration and all my add ons to the new hard drive and have it as a dedicated FSX Drive?Thanks,Will

My understanding is FSX works better on the hard drive with the OS, while FS2004 apparently works better the other way.

Guest fsxmissionguy

Move your other data files to the new hard drive and use your OS drive for FSX.

I would put FS on the fastest drive you have.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like it goes both ways. :-) both hard drives are identical. Seagate SATA 320gb so one is not faster than the other...just empty and thus less cluttered. My operating system disk is just a little over half full. Of course FSX, FS9 and all my add ons are probably 75 percent of that. FSX runs pretty well for the most part the way it is now but I do get some stutters while the HD is being accessed and scenery updated so I thought having a dedicated HD with the Scenery folders on the faster outside edge of the disk would make it load faster and thus stutter less often. My system is a custom built Core Duo 2 X6800 on a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 motherboard. 4gb of G.Skill DDR2-800 memory. 2 seagate SATA 320gb hard drives (not set up as raid) an ATI X1950 video card with 512 mb of memory. My operating system is XP I don't see myself going to Vista any time in the near future.

Hey Will-I'm running Vista Home Premium on a homebuilt as well with Vista SP1. I have no problems to speak of. I'm still tuning for texture loading but its coming along well.

>Thanks for the input guys. Looks like it goes both ways. :-)No, it shouldn't... ;)If it were me I would put FSX on its own 320 gig drive and be done with it. That's FSX + your aircraft + your scenery.Leave the OS + program files + etc. on the other 320 gig drive. That way the OS can do its thing with that physical disk (page file, disk accesses, etc.) and FS can do its thing (scenery loads, etc.) on the other physical disk.There are more complex reasons than that but that is the long and short of it.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

Not that anyone was following this thread :-) but as an update to my question I finally did it and moved FSX and all my add ons to their own hard drive and am very happy I did. Maybe it was the clean reinstall or something else all I know is that I'm very pleased and no longer have stutters while the hard drive updates the scenery. I used Ultimate defrag and placed all my scenery files on the fastest outer edge of the disk. On a different note. another thing that seems to have changed is that I used to get the best frame rates by having FSX in windowed mode and the frame rate locked. Now I get MUCH better frame rates in full screen mode with frame rates unlocked. Go Figure.. Just wanted to report that I'm a happy camper now in case someone found this thread in a search sometime or another and wondered what the outcome was.

Yup, I'll second that Rhett.Some may say that the way I have my system is a bit excessive, but the OS on HDD 1, FSX on HDD 2 & Page Files on HDD 3 works the best for me so far. Needless to say that PerfectDisk 8 and its 'Smart Placement' technology, also goes a long way to help with performance.By the way, Happy New Year to you and your loved one too.

>>By the way, Happy New Year to you and your loved one too.>>Ah thank you, I appreciate that. And to you too. I look forward to all the good FS flights I am going to have this year.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

>Hey Will->>I'm running Vista Home Premium on a homebuilt as well with>Vista SP1. I have no problems to speak of. I'm still tuning>for texture loading but its coming along well.Vista SP1 hasn't been released yet, so how come you have it?Stelios

Stelios Christofides