Sign in to follow this  
Guest fsxmissionguy

Carrier landing bug?

Guest kbullet

F/A-18 hornet on accelerationOk this is really starting to get on my nerves everytime i try to do a perfect carrier landing i always crash even though my speed and decent rate is perfect. When you have succesfully catch the wire the aircraft nose go straight down on the deck as if it break too heavily, if you cut off your throtlle it does help abit but in RL situation dont you go to full throtlle even if you have caught the wire?Any ideas?

Hey rookie! :)Take a look at the angle of decent from the outside view. i.e. your nose is high. Bob..

Or use the AOA Indexer to the left of the HUD in the VC (the three lights: top caret AOA too high, bottom caret AOA too low, circle illuminated AOA is perfect).This has been a real challenge for me too getting A/S, AOA and power setting correct... it is do-able (and I have banged up my Hornet's nose too :-S ). Actually, I think the 5 carrier landings should be Expert rated and the Night IFR Advanced... atleast the nite IMC approach seemed alot easier :-PI tried the full power on arrest too once and became the )-: bolter... seems like cable release should be a few seconds later.You can do it... just keep working at it. If it looks bad on short final force yourself to go around and setup again. And be sure to let out that sigh of relief after each landing. :-)Rob O.

...and check your fuel! It seems a lot easier with 25% fuel as opposed to 95%. With less fuel, you can slow to 120 knots (or so) and make the landing.I know it's hard, but keep trying. Carrier landings are my favourite part of FSX.- Martin