Sign in to follow this  
FTD1949

FSX downloads...It 's sooo... easy!

Guest bertvankampen

Just look in the file library for:1. FSX or2. FSX plus SP1 or3. FSX plus SP1 plus Acceleration or4. FSX plus SP1 & SP2 orand it also depends on what OS you have XP or Vista/DX10!Have a happy turn of the year and hopefully this problem will be solved in 2008 (with or without FSXI...)Kind regardsBertwww.worldoffs.com

Guest fsxmissionguy

Yea ... I can't find any good add-ons for Windows ME though.What's up with that?

Guest Stoopy

Me too. All of the above search terms can also be met with simply searching for "FSX". So it is pretty easy after all. Haven't had any issues with downloads in that regard....don't know what real or perceived "problem" there is to be solved.

Gee, I wished I could read minds, because that message means absolutely nothing to me (and others apparently). Should I suspect a bit of premature New Year's libations here?

Just another FSX bash. Move along, there is nothing to see here.

Guest bertvankampen

>Gee, I wished I could read minds, because that message means>absolutely nothing to me (and others apparently). Should I>suspect a bit of premature New Year's libations here?Hi Tom,Indeed this thread was meant to be just a little cynical about the various sorts of FSX-downloads i have seen lately...But in fact if you don't have SP2 for what reason not installed; it's better not to download the FSX-files who meant to be used with SP2 installed...it certainly will give problems.a Happy & Healthy 2008 for All AVSim StaffKind regardsBert

So Tom, I like the comment above, lol. I wonder if there's a way of putting yellow "police" tape around the dead threads like this (no offense intended). Move along, move along.In defence of threads like this, however, often times around here, english is not the first language, and that doesn't help. And then there are times when even if english is the first language, you get what seems like a good thought, but it just doesn't quite get expressed in written word the way it sounded in your head. It would be nice to have a delete function sometimes.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Guest Stoopy

Heya Bert, being a fan of cynicism (well more like sarcasm) and whatnot this kinda piqued my curiousity a little but so I thought I'd go see how easy it really is, and you know what? It's not just easy, but fun too!Searching for "SP2" did in fact yield results! And lookee here....there were a total of 11 hits altogether! But what do they mean??? Well, turns out, they were just mentions of updates to keep something current and compatible, or to illustrate it was either tested or not with SP2 (not taken to mean it was SP2-specific or wouldn't work with S2....freeware devs not having unlimited resources to all platform combinations, of course).Here's how the 11 hits broke down by category:SP2 - corrections/updates/patches to content (That makes stuff work in SP2 also): (3)wacp_x_acc.zip..."Some anomolies appeared at WACP after installing FSX Acceleration. This is a complete version of the original release with those probelms fixed."md11forehead.zip..."fix for the problem with the missing Forehead texture with Service Pack 2"sd2gau23.zip..."FSX Acceleration (FSX SDK SP2) gauges.h file corrected and included."SP2 - "Not tested with": (2)aicarriers2.zip..."RTM version is not supported, SP2/Acceleration has not been tested"redux_hs748andys11.zip..."(not tested in SP2 yet!)"SP2 - "Tested With": (2)tonopah_ktph.zip..."The files were tested with FSX-AccelerationSP2 on WinXP Pro, DX9"tonopah_tnx.zip..."The files were tested with FSX-AccelerationSP2 on WinXP Pro, DX9"SP2 compatible (as in "Works with FS2004, FSX and FSX SP2"): (3)a504_v10.zip..."Works with FS2004, FSX and FSX SP2"orio_v11.zip..."Version 1.1 for FS2004, FSX and FSX SP2."m130_v10.zip..."The model works with FS2004, FSX and FSX SP2"Accelleration-specific (mentioning SP2): (1)kedw_ade_pds.zip..."This is a modified airport file for the FSX-AccelerationSP2 Edwards AFB"SP2-specific freeware (not counting Accelleration): Zero, Zip, Nada, None!So the only ones that meet the description of being "FSX-files who meant to be used with SP2 installed" are the ones that specifically mention they are updates or corrections for SP2-related content, or are for Accelleration...which seems pretty much a no-brainer to avoid, yeah?But wait - the plot thickens when Vista vs. XP is introduced to the mix! 22 hits entirely, OMG! Could be some serious compatibility (non?)-issues here....check out the search results!Let's see what they were....."Vista" hits:Vista, as in a location or group name: (15)csptf.zip - as in "Disney Buena Vista Lake sea plane dock"boeing_737-3l9_d-adif_air_berlin.zip - as in "Textures are made for the Vista Liners Boeing 737-300 Model"air_new_zealand_737.zip - as in "repaint for the Vista Liners 737-300"armavia_733.zip - as in "A high quality repaint of the Vista Liners 737-300"cape_verde_mesh_fsx_.zip - as in "including: Boa Vista, Brava, Maio, Mosteiros"jet2_vl733.zip - as in "A high quality repaint of the Vista Liners 737-300 in the Jet2 Livery"royal_mail_733.zip - as in "A high quality repaint of the Vista Liners 737-300 in the Royal Mail Livery."ualv733fsx.zip - as in "This is a repaint of the wonderful Vista Liners' 737-300"vl733brapje.zip - as in "This is a repaint of the Vista Liners 737-300 "vl733fixje.zip - as in "...fixes the errors in the tail of my following repaints: Vista Liners VARIG Circa 2007"vl733glije.zip - as in "This is a repaint of the Vista Liners 737-300 "vl733ricoje.zip - as in "This is a repaint of the Vista Liners 737-300"vl733tbocje.zip - as in "This is a repaint of the Vista Liners 737-300"vl733rg07je.zip - as in "This is a repaint of the Vista Liners 737-300"vl733rg04je.zip - as in "This is a repaint of the Vista Liners 737-300"OK, false alarm ....but....wait...Ruh-Roh, there be 7 hits on Vista as an O/S! Are we hosed??!!!Vista, as in the Microsoft Operating System: (7)fsxea42.zip - as in "Version 4.2 has improved compatibility with Windows Vista and minor bug fixes"fsx_sdk_toolbox.zip - "Six Themes to choose from (Win XP, Vista, Mac OS, MSN, MP 10 and Longhorn). "fsxprocesskillerbugfixed.zip - "Notes: a) This program should run on WinXP and Windows Vista "fsx_ga-traffic_releasecandidate2.zip - "The version contain BUG fixes and should also work better with Windows Vista"k2luni10_207280.zip - "New version having improved compatibility with Windows Vista"k2muni10_207283.zip - "New version having improved compatibility with Windows Vista"wiifly!.zip - "Requires Windows XP or Vista with .NET Frame work 2.p0 installed"Number of files that were claimed to be for Vista-only? Yep, you guessed it - Zero, Zip, Nada, None!So, being that SP2 results just show it was or was not tested in SP2 but should work in SP2 or SP1 or RTM, and the Vista results just show the particular file(s) were Vista as well as XP compatible, I think this is the best kind of problem to ask for. An imaginary one... ;)So thanks, and have you tried this yourself?

Guest bertvankampen

Thanks Stoopy i got your point!Bert

Given that these are international forums with many uses whose first langauage isn't english, there's a lot to be said for keeping it simple by saying (or trying to say) what you mean rather then attempting to be clever and failing to get any massage across.

So exactly what are you asking? That the Library Manager and or the freeware authors test every bit of freeware with all of the iterations of FSX and Operating Systems? I would say either volunteer for the job or Get Real. Most likely the latter. Craig