Sign in to follow this  
michal

Stupid question about DirectX10

Hi all,On the Windows Vista site, it says that Vista will be released on January 30th, would it be a good idea to buy it then as far as will games run faster if I install Vista? Also, does that mean it will come with DirectX10? And even then will it improve performance in games and sims, or will the game programmers need to make a patch in order for the game to run faster, I also understand that we will need a new video card that is DirectX10 capable for us to enjoy any performance benefits?

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

I_fly_on_AWACS... :) You know, you are asking million-dollar questions there. If we knew all of the answers, we would really have something.I can give some facts:It is fact that Vista (most versions) will be released Jan 30. It is fact that it comes with DX10. It is fact that to run DX10 applications you will need a DX10-capable video card.Beyond that, nothing else is fact. Only supposition. For us, we will have to wait for the DX10 patch to know what effect DX10 will have on our FS.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2530 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest christianholmes

I can definately add- If you are planning on upgrading soon, wait!Only the first generation DX10 cards are out, and we have yet to see them perform with DX10!Surely some cards/games will be better than others, and we all will obviously want to see what works best for FSX (we have to wait for a patch for that BTW).If you can wait six months you will be much better off and no poorer (you might even put some coin away in anticipation).

I see, thanks guys.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Guest fyrestrtr

Is it true (or myth) than current video cards cannot run DX10 because of hardware requirements for DX10?Ie, a particular graphics chipset or some other mechanical doo-daad needs to be in place for DX10 to work?Or to put it in other words -- will DX10 work on current DX9 cards, or will it simply refuse to install?

We know that in order to run DX10 you need:1. Vista Operating System.2. DX10 video cardsNo way around it ...Michael J.