Sign in to follow this  
mgh

Does anyone know how to use a custom resolution in FSX?

Guest Seria17hri11er

The only resolution in FSX that fits my screen correctly is 1680x1050, which is my max resolution, and is very large. I'm sure it impacts my performance to a degree. I want to try a lower resolution. If I use any lower resolutions in FSX settings, they are out of proportion and things appear stretched. So does anyone know how I can use a custom resolution?Thanks

You will get way better visuals if you use the native resolution of your flat panel monitor, so staying with 1680x1050 is definitely the way to go.Different monitors have different width to hight ratios and 2d cockpits which are typically built for a 1024x768 aka 4:3 ratio get stretched when shown on a 1280x1024 or 1680x1050 monitor.If you look in the video properties settings, you may find a way to keep your monitor from scaling the image and then you can use 1280x960 and have a black band on the sides.. I doubt you will want to use it much..As a test, you may also be able to grab the side of the 2d image and pull it towards the middle..

Bert

FSX just queries the resolutions that the DirectX driver claims to support and filters out ones that aren't compatible (those below 1024x768, those with only 8-bit color, etc). In order to get any other resolutions to work in FSX, you would need to figure out how to get the video driver to offer them up (if at all possible). The video modes offered by the driver are also limited by the monitor hooked to the video card, which is why the max on your machine (and my Media Center machine :-> ) is 1680 x 1050, but the max on my main dev machine is 1600x1200 (cause that's the max my monitor will do).

What video card to you have? FSX is mostly bottlenecked by the CPU rather than the video card, so if you have a decent video card you can use any resolution you want and it will have no effect on peformance.

Guest CocoLoco

>What video card to you have? FSX is mostly bottlenecked by>the CPU rather than the video card, so if you have a decent>video card you can use any resolution you want and it will>have no effect on peformance. I used to think this as well but now I'm not so sure. I normally run FSX on a 19" LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1280x1024. A month or so ago I borrowed my 23" display from work which has a native resolution of 1920x1200. There was a definite slow down in performance (on my 8600 GT/256MB RAM) which was easy enough to verify by going into windowed mode and steadily reducing the size of the window t was running in. Once it was down to around 2/3rds of the native resolution of the monitor, performance picked up. I think this is probably down to doing full screen anti-aliasing at high resolution which scales according to a square law. I posted a comment about this and I believe Phil Taylor confirmed that this could happen but now I can't find the thread (I'm sure it's there somewhere). I sometimes wonder if some of the performance issues people are unhappy about are possibly to do with running FSX at a very high resolution. I know I've decided to stick with my 19" screen for the foreseeable future (and save myself a lot of cash).This is just my personal experience and I'm sure other peoples experiences may vary.RegardsDavid

At 1920 its possible you running out of video memory on a 256MB card. But otherwise you are right, you have to have a high end card to use higher resolutions, such as 7800GTX or faster. Unfortunanty some models, like your 8600 GT, are up to 50% slower than old ones like the 7800GTX.

Guest Seria17hri11er

Well I tried using multiple programs to add a custom resolution, it all failed though. Wouldn't stay, some wouldn't work. Guess its my hardware combination. Of course I could turn off scaling and choose a lower resolution, but I hate that.I haveIntel Core 2 Duo E6300 Reg 1.8 Ghz OC'd 2 GhzNvidia 8800 GTS 320 MB Core Clock oc'd from 513 to 636 Mhz (1680x1050)2 Gig's of PNY dual channel ddr3 ram running at 290 mhz3 Western Digital Sata Raptor HdFlight sim on oneWindows on a seperate with a page file on the same driveA second page file on the third hard drive formatted to fat 32

You should be perfectly fine at 1650 using an 8800GTS 320. In fact I dont see how there is any way you are hitting a video card bottle neck at that resolution unless you are using some exotic AA, like supersampling. Even at 1920x1200 with in game AA your card is on par with an 8800GTX, which means not GPU bound. http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_200...2=706&chart=293

I had a similar problem with a (smaller) wide-screen LCD by HP. The only way I could adjust the aspect ration was pressing the physical Menu button at the bottom of the screen and adjusting the resolution that way. Changing XP and FS settings had no effect.