Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

OOM error with SP2 and XP

Guest Werd

HelloSorry for my english.Today I got my first "out of memery" error message ever. Recently installed SP2 and also defragmented my hard disk with O&O (SPACE mode). Not sure wich one is causing the error. Basically it's a FSX issue but sp2 ran ok for few flights. After the defragmention though FSX seems to do a lot of swaping, a lot more disk activity in general.I'd like to mention I made a LOT of flight hours with sp1 (and before this defragmention) and never had this problem. Here is my system:intel c2d 6300 overclocked to 3.3 ghz2Gb of ramgeforce 8600gtswindows XP 32After some searches it seems that this problems comes out weather with 4gb of ram, weather with Vista. It's not at all my case so where does it come from? :-hmmm

I've had it as well... and wish I knew what caused it. In my case, it first appeared after installing the (fabulous) Cheyenne.Q6600, 2 GB, 8600GTS, Win XP Pro

Bert

Guest Werd

Hi Bert, Did you manage to get rid of it?Btw, I've read somewere sp2 is supposed to prevent OOMs, however sp2 was exactly the one causing it on my computer. LOL

It has happened twice, so far... I've reduced scenery complexity from extremely dense to very dense... No idea if that will make any difference.

Bert

The SP2 exe is marked as a /3G aware app, but you still have to modify the OS boot to inform the OS to let the app have more than 2G of process address space.There were plenty of threads on avsim about how to modify your OS boot, a search will find them.

Phil does this error message clearly indicate RAM, or is video memory also a suspect?We each have 2 GB of RAM, so I assume that the 3GB switch does not apply.. BTW, the working memory usage when I fly is anywhere from 1.3 to 1.7 GB depending on the airplane. I can only assume that the more complex airplane is more likely to trigger this..

Bert

Guest Werd

>The SP2 exe is marked as a /3G aware app, but you still have>to modify the OS boot to inform the OS to let the app have>more than 2G of process address space.>>There were plenty of threads on avsim about how to modify your>OS boot, a search will find them.HiI'd try this boot.ini trick to make it work but unfortunally I've already uninstalled sp2 - it brought too many problems, graphic glitches etc. So I guess before Nvidia gives us a driver sp1 is the way to go.

I made a long blog post on this months ago.You have 2G of physical RAM.The /3G switch is all about virtual memory and process address space.They are 2 different but related subjects. Physical memory is how many RAM sticks you have and what type. Sometimes this is limited by how much physical RAM the OS can use. Process Address Space is how much virtual memory is allocated to each process by the OS. The OS uses physical memory to manage the virtual allocations requested by each application up to the process address space limit for each process. In the 32-bit world, there is 4G available and Windows divides this into 2G for the app and 2G for the OS for each process. The /3G switch modifies this behavior by allowing each process to get up to 3G; which leaves only 1G for the OS. 1G for the OS can starve the OS of space it needs for core OS tables in memory, so we recommend setting USERVA to 2560 when you modify the OS boot so as to not starve the OS when feeding FSX :-).Having more than 2G of RAM means the OS will have to use the page file less, so there is real benefit to having more than 2G, eg less disk access and disk swapping time.Out of Memory in FSX is almost always running out of process address space. There are 2 fixes:1)reduce settings ( including complexity of the aircraft you are flying ) 2)using the /3G switch by modifying your OS boot to give the process more address space to work within.Note, even if TaskMan shows the process is not using over 2G there can be a problem, in 2 ways:1)when that close to the limit it can be hard to get contiguous ( all in 1 piece ) blocks of the size FSX needs. If the block size isnt available, the app "sees" that as out of memory.2)any system can act strange close to the limits. dont run right at the limits because that is asking for trouble.

Hi Phil,Here I am running Vista 32bit and FSx with Accelerations.My FSX is filled with many addon scenery.Also my settings are high.Up to now I never had an Out of Memory error.My OS recognises 3 Gb ( 4 Gb installed ).Is it wise to apply the OS tweak ?Even without having had any errors could I benefit from it ?All updates havbe been installed , even the one you point out to at your site. Thanks,

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Guest Werd

Hey Phil, thank for the information!Since we -may- have a solution for OOM now, I'd like to give another chance to sp2 (since it fixes some texture problems and I need it). Could you tell how these problems can be fixed please:-aircraft has transparent texture if self-shadows are enabled-recurrent ground texture/scenery glitches, white patches on the ground, flickering, strange huge vertical lines/patches going all way high from the ground.Didnt manage to find a solution for this one - all settings as aa/af/shadows have some influence on the glitches but impossible to remove them for 100%.Guess it's a driver issue. Which one works?

Just a quick status report... I flew from Meigs to KORD in the Cheyenne and landed without incident... so far, very good!This is where I got an OOM message last time..Phil, many thanks for helping me through this maze !ps hope you are enjoying your holidays !!

Bert