Sign in to follow this  
Gypsy Baron

Longer contrails, viewable from ground, possible now.

Guest in_04

Hi,after installing Acceleration, I found that it is now possible to few the contrails from the ground. So I adapted my AI-Contrails program for FSX. If there is interest in this small utility I will upload it to AVSIM.To show you the effect I added a screenshot.EDIT: Image removed because it exceeds our size restrictions. Please repost at the correct size (no more than 1024 pixels wide).

Guest Nils79

Markus,that looks great!I would be very interested in such a utility :)Thanks in advance!

Hi Markus,Yes, please upload it. You mention Acceleration but wouldn't SP2 be enough to use it ?Jean-PaulAsus P5W DH Deluxe - Core 2 Duo E6600@3.2Ghz - Leadtek 7950 GT TDH 512 - 4 x 1GB Kingmax DDR2 667 CL5 RAM - 2 x 250GB Hitachi T7K250 SATA2 AHCI - Creative Audigy 2 Value - Antec Sonata 2 Case - 450W Antec SmartPower 2.0 PSU - Samsung SyncMaster 204B 20" - Windows XP Pro SP2 - TrackIR 4 Pro - Saitek X52

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Guest in_04

Hi,don't know, but guess yes.I only have installed Acceleration and know it work. I guess it will work with SP2 too, but don't know. Im also not sure if it will work with FSX RTM or SP1, but for me it worked only after I installed Acceleration.

Guest in_04

Hi,I uploaded it.If available I will add a link here.

Hey Marcus!I am looking for your FSX contrail generator but cannot locate it. I definitely need such a utility. If you can make it available as a download that would be awesome.Thanks!Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullert

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

>I am looking for your FSX contrail generator but cannot locate>it. I definitely need such a utility. If you can make it>available as a download that would be awesome.Guess it always takes some time until the file lib mods post the new files on the front page and make them available to everyone. I am sure the tool should be there by tomorrow the latest. Thanks for the great tool by the way. :)Cheers, :-beerchugEtienne :-wave

Great news!Is it possible for the program to look for other SimObjects sub-folders apart from Airplanes?I keep my AI in several separate folders (WOAI, UT, PAI etc)CheersChris

The program doesn't seem to find the AI files unless they are located in the simobjectsairplanes directory. I have the same sort of setup as you so I temporarily moved my AI aircraft into the simobjectsairplanes directory for modification and then moved them back when done.Dave

David Webster

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz | EVGA RTX 3080 Ti @ 3440X1440 | Crucial 2TB M.2 | Win11

>The program doesn't seem to find the AI files unless they are>located in the simobjectsairplanes directory. I have the same>sort of setup as you so I temporarily moved my AI aircraft>into the simobjectsairplanes directory for modification and>then moved them back when done.>>DaveI'm not sure if this is the same utility as the one I downloadedand used way back in January of 2007 but that one did look onlyin the "Airplanes" directory.Since, at the time, all my AI were in my "Aircraft" directory I useda hex editor to modify the path occurances of "Airplanes" to "Aircraft" ( a null byte at the end to keep the lenght the same )This worked just fine, for me...someone who is used to working atthe hex data level :)Also, long ago, I changed ALL my "aircraft.cfg" files to "sim.cfg".This is the name FSX searches for first. So to avoid all those unnecessary "File not found" errors in FileMon readouts, I madethe change. This neccesetated changing the occurances of "aircraft.cfg"in the contrail program I have to "sim.cfg" with the appropriatenumber of null bytes to account for the difference in length.I point this out for two reasons. First, creators of utilities such asthis might wish to allow a bit more flexibility in path and file nameselection, and second, for those that might wish to make this sortof mod themselves, it is possible but test any mod first on a dummy directory and file, and ONLY if you know your way around ahex editor, etc.BTW, I've had 50-mile plus contrails on my AI since adding Acceleration.In areas of dense traffic I often have 6 or more contrails stretching for miles around my aircraft in a given view.Note though that when viewing contrails from the VC, they willflash in and out of sight when the aircraft 'leaving them" is notin your view. Particularly noticable when using TrackIR. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Guest in_04

Hi,the program is a modified version of the AI-Contrail Version I made for FS2004.It would be possible to change the search algorithm to search all FSX folder for the aircraft.cfg files, but currently the program only look in SimObjects and MyTraffic folders.Maybe I will install Windows 2000 and the C++ Kit again and try to change this.The utility was build simple to make the changes for more causal users.

>Hi,>the program is a modified version of the AI-Contrail Version I>made for FS2004.>It would be possible to change the search algorithm to search>all FSX folder for the aircraft.cfg files, but currently the>program only look in SimObjects and MyTraffic folders.>>Maybe I will install Windows 2000 and the C++ Kit again and>try to change this.>>The utility was build simple to make the changes for more>causal users.>> Thanks for the feedback, Markus. As a retired engineer and someone who has much assembly language a ( and machine language ) experience, I can relate to the KISS principle in an environment such as MSFS. With FSX, since it does allow for "user-defined" SimObject paths in the fsx.CFG file it might be the place to look for additional search paths. I, as others, have added new paths to keep FS9 imports and AI aircraft out of the default "Airplanes" folder. Here are my additions:SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjectsAircraftSimObjectPaths.6=D:FSX AI AircraftSimObjectPaths.7=D:FSX Military AI As to the "sim.cfg" name change, that is probably not widespread but i prefer to try to minimize the tens of thousands of "wasted' file searchs that FSX seems determined to make. ( Again, my previous programming experience makes me shudder when looking at a FileMon display when running FSX....! ) Thanks for the original, and your revised, AI Contrail utility. Having those 50-mile contrails criss-crossing my virtual skies is one of the few reasons I keep AccelerationSP2 on my system. Paul

Wide-5.jpg