Sign in to follow this  
rpowers

new computer but no improvement in performance

Just got my new unit.Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 ghz,nvidia 8800 gt 512 ,2 gb 800 mhz ram etc and I still get only 6-10 fps with med settings.If I hit pause they jump to 30-35 fsp .I also have no sound and I wonder if the 2 are related since when in pause mode there is no sound.I tried a music CD with Windows Media Player and it says:Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly.I do get sound out of my speakers with some programs.It's the middle of night so I can't call my computer guy yet.Looking for any advice to pass on to him.Thans,Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

Just an add on to my above post.I went to task manager while running FS and it shows CPU usage at only 5%.and ram at 1 gb.Ron

Guest Nils79

I hope you did make a fresh install of your OS and FSX. It's also important to get the newest drivers and Updates for your system and to configure your system correctly before you install and launch FSX.I guess you are using a onboard sound device (perhaps Realtek HD), so you need to download and install the latest drivers from Realtek.Before the OS is installed, it's important to configure the Bios correctly (e.g. if you use Sata you should enable AHCI).If that's all done properly, you can install FSX and then you should be able to enjoy FSX with your new PC (Water, Scenery and AI-Traffic sliders not to 100% and bloom off in DX9).

Guest tcable

Uh, yeah. I'm running an almost 5 year old system and get better FPS than that.I'll be building my quad soon. (I want a Q9450) but it'll be an all new build.I expect that FPS will not be a factor after that!At minimum, make sure that you are seeing four cpu's in device manager, or you'll need to install the multipocessor HAL (If you went from a single cpu)

Guest Lone ranger

You've got a driver problem killing the frame rate. Its not your hardware you've got plenty of horsepower, you're just not hooking it up at the tires. Try re-installing the sound drivers for your soundcard. If its onboard sound on the motherboard, probably need to re-install the motherboard driver package, make sure you download the most recent driver package from the soundcard maker or the motherboard chipset maker. >Just got my new unit.Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 ghz,nvidia>8800 gt 512 ,2 gb 800 mhz ram etc and I still get only 6-10>fps with med settings.If I hit pause they jump to 30-35 fsp .I>also have no sound and I wonder if the 2 are related since>when in pause mode there is no sound.I tried a music CD with>Windows Media Player and it says:Windows Media Player cannot>play the file because there is a problem with your sound>device. There may not be a sound device installed on your>computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not>be functioning properly.I do get sound out of my speakers with>some programs.It's the middle of night so I can't call my>computer guy yet.Looking for any advice to pass on to>him.Thans,Ron

Thanks,then I can edit it there?Ron

That is standard... until you have opened a .cfg file with an editor, like Notepad, and told Windows to "always use this program", Windows would not know what to do with it...You'll be busy for a while getting back to where you were with your old system... but you'll get there.

Bert

>Just got my new unit.Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 ghz,nvidia>8800 gt 512 ,2 gb 800 mhz ram etc and I still get only 6-10>fps with med settings.If I hit pause they jump to 30-35 fsp .I>also have no sound and I wonder if the 2 are related since>when in pause mode there is no sound.I tried a music CD with>Windows Media Player and it says:Windows Media Player cannot>play the file because there is a problem with your sound>device. There may not be a sound device installed on your>computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not>be functioning properly.I do get sound out of my speakers with>some programs.It's the middle of night so I can't call my>computer guy yet.Looking for any advice to pass on to>him.Thans,Ron What motherboard are you using?How much system memory? Should have 2 gig.

Guest nshahzad

Also, run 3dmark and see if you get about the same as other systems with your specs.Another thing, on the 8800 make sure both power spots are plugged in. If only one, it'll kill your performance. I'm not sure if its the same on your GT but on my GTX that was the case.

Guest thx1137

Do you have a lot of AI aircraft? If I disable AI aircraft there is usually no difference between pause and un-paused.Disable all AI aircraft and see how it goes. Steven.

Thanks guys it was sound drivers.Now I have another problem.See above post about screwed up AC textures with SP1.Any advice is always appreciated.Ron