Sign in to follow this  
N400QW

What DOES work with SP2?

I'm looking around and trying to get a better picture of what stuff does work with SP2, i.e. works straight "out of the box" with no issues. Unfortunately the information seems to be quite fragmentary and incomplete.Can people chime in here with reports of stuff that does work with SP2?So far I gather Aerosoft's Beaver X and the newly released FSX version of the Digital Aviation Cheyenne works ok. Just out of curiosity, does FSAddon's Vancouver X work with SP2?Thanks for any info shared.

Guest ziporama

My experience as to what works and what doesn't:1) anything created with the FS9 SDK likely has texture issues in FSX, more pronounced with the DX10 preview under Vista. A majority of products released in the last 12 months are ported from FS9 to FSX, just changing a few textures here and there and not using FSX materials encoded in the MDL model files. The three specific issues I have run into are transparency issues (windows and some panel "glass"), night lighting issues (no illumination at night), or no textures (white airplanes and buildings). Of my add-ons that have issues, the Flight1 ATR, Digital Aviation's Dornier 27, Fly the Maddog, and FS9 specific scenery add-on. The amount of work required is very significant and time to market just went out the door.2) add-ons made with the FSX SDK work properly. The RealAir SF260, LevelD 767 and PMDG 744X are all examples, as well as Ultimate Terrain X works. Some are a mixed-bag, such as MyTraffic X, with some of the AI planes being FS9 planes.3) The DX10 preview on Vista has three issues on my system. The first is that the navigational lights and beacons don't render properly depending on the angle they are viewed at. This appears to be a video issue specific to Nvidia. I personally think it's not FSX given that ATI users don't seem to have that issue. I am amazed that something this glaring makes it out of Q/A without being fixed, but then again, it's not the first time :) The second is overlapping textures in some cases flicker on/off. That may also be a video rendering issue and is not obvious everywhere. It looks like the runway texture utilized has a lot to do with this issue. Lastly, there is a thin ghosting or "halo" effect around white colored aircraft when bloom is enabled depending on the view angle. The aesthetics are purely a matter of personal judgment. Bloom is a bit "heavy" in my opinion so I turn it off.4) The DX10 preview on Vista has a major advantage on my system: It's about 30% faster than the DX9 rendering in terms of FPS and is not impacted by bloom or high shader content (eg, high water complexity). Using a TrackIR in a virtual cockpit is much smoother as well, the shading in the VC is gorgeous.This is of course my experience, and your frequent flyer miles may vary :) It's safe to say that most products out there will now come out working on SP2. Some developers probably had a rude wakeup call in terms of their development cycled just going out the door with the SP2 release. There is a lot of work do be done if your starting point is FS9, and a bit of a learning curve. Some add-ons out there have demonstrated it can be done, and done very well.If the vendor doesn't clearly state the product works with SP2, simply ask. Don't take a chance. You will find most really care about their products and will be honest, friendly and helpful.Cheers,Etienne

>>2) add-ons made with the FSX SDK work properly. The RealAir>SF260, LevelD 767 and PMDG 744X are all examples, as well as>Ultimate Terrain X works. Some are a mixed-bag, such as>MyTraffic X, with some of the AI planes being FS9 planes.>Add to this list the Shockwave Curtiss P-40 works for me under XP and DX9 with FSX Acceleration/SP2.Phill

Alphasim has some excellent planes made specifically for FSX so they work fine with SP2. Also, Level D is great and made for FSX.Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

For the record. The entire Eaglesoft FSX fleet works under SP1 and SP2. All but four are DX10 compatible.Hope this helps:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

To expand on what Etienne is saying in item 1) above:Some older aircraft will have transparent parts (parts of wings, gear, fuselage, etc.) when you load them into FSX RTM, FSX SP1, or FSX + SP2/Accel. If this happens to your favorite aircraft, one possible fix is to load the aircraft's textures, and save them as DXT5. Chances are, they will be 16, or 24, or 32-bit bmp's.You can use freeware GIMP program to do this, or Photoshop, or Paint Shop Pro, or (what I use) Microsoft's ImageTool (comes with the SDK).Chances are this will fix at least some of the texture and transparency issues you may see with SP2 and older aircraft.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>For the record. The entire Eaglesoft FSX fleet works under>SP1 and SP2. All but four are DX10 compatible.>>Hope this helps:-)>>What aircraft do you have that are fully FSX compliant?Thanks!

>>For the record. The entire Eaglesoft FSX fleet works under>>SP1 and SP2. All but four are DX10 compatible.>>>>Hope this helps:-)>>>>>>What aircraft do you have that are fully FSX compliant?>Thanks!>Let's define terminology for a moment.In the case of Eaglesoft....A. So called "True FSX Models" means FSX/SP1/SP2/DX10 Preview compliant.B. So called "Hybrid FSX Models" means FSX/SP1/SP2 compliant and white texture display under DX10 Preview.To repeat...the entire Eaglesoft FSX fleet is fully FSX compliant and fully SP1 and SP2 Compliant. Of the fleet of eight, four fall under category B above and four fall under Category A above.The four under category B are scheduled for rebuilds in 2008 and will then meet the DX10 Preview test.Meanwhile, the entire Eaglesoft fleet is being flown by satified users under FSX/SP1/SP2/DX9.0 We will be updating our website and forums with this same information as soon as schedules permit.:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Ron,I applaud you and Eaglesoft for being willing to make such clear statements as to compatibility and plans for compatibility and hope other 3PDs follow your lead. Further, I like the taxonomy you are using.Phil

>Ron,>>I applaud you and Eaglesoft for being willing to make such>clear statements as to compatibility and plans for>compatibility and hope other 3PDs follow your lead. Further, I>like the taxonomy you are using.>>PhilThanks Phil, did you mean terminology?:-)Just completed the update to our website FSX Catalogs, FSX Product Pages, FAQs Section, and Support Forum. Hopefully this will help users understand what 3DPs have accomplished thus far along with where we are all headed wrt to future development.Thanks to all who understand our efforts recently:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

>In the case of Eaglesoft....>A. So called "True FSX Models" means FSX/SP1/SP2/DX10 Preview>compliant.>B. So called "Hybrid FSX Models" means FSX/SP1/SP2 compliant>and white texture display under DX10 Preview.>>To repeat...the entire Eaglesoft FSX fleet is fully FSX>compliant and fully SP1 and SP2 Compliant. Of the fleet of>eight, four fall under category B above and four fall under>Category A above.>>The four under category B are scheduled for rebuilds in 2008>and will then meet the DX10 Preview test.>>Meanwhile, the entire Eaglesoft fleet is being flown by>satified users under FSX/SP1/SP2/DX9.0 >>We will be updating our website and forums with this same>information as soon as schedules permit.:-)>>Ron serious I applaud you guys to for this great approach and attitude towards your customers ;-)Actually I will buy your Cessna Citation X 2.0 when released :-) http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/awf1/sign.jpg

André