Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Um, am I missing something? (wind against me)

Hi all, Happy Christmas and New Year to you all.Well, I am really liking this FSX thing. The flight models are great but there is something that has been annoying me though. When there is a strong x-wind (above 16kts) I seem to have to really fight with opposite-rudder to keep the plane from veering on to the grass. From the A320 to the beechcraft, it doesn't matter. Does anyone else suffer from wind problem (oh dear, that should get some hilarity in the mix)Also, if the wind is blowing from N-S I am being blown from S-N ... is it something I'm smoking??!!Many thanksdaelightLet's talk about FLYING people, less about GDDR35000GHzQUAD Nitro.... if ya get my drift :){{ My Super Signature with Specs }}A ComputerA MonitorA Keyboard (QWERTY)A Mouse

Guest PPSFA

Tried lowering your realism settings?

I have the realism setting set ok. What I;m interested to know is why I have to steer *away* from the wind when I am rolling on the ground (pre take-off) on leaving the runway on climb I need to correct back *into* the wind, which is the way I should have been pointing as I took-off!?On approach I am crabbing *into* the wind but as soon as I roll-out I have to opposite-lock the rudder ... Mixed up, no?My realism setting are set to the right and auto-rudder is disabled.

An aircraft will always want to weather vane INTO the wind, hence opposite rudder input to keep the aircraft on the centerline is quite normal.From your description I'm not quite sure if I am addressing your question properly.....EDIT - Try the 'Crosswind Landing' lesson in the FSX learning center. I think it is in the Commercial Lessons section. Read the homwework first!Glenn

What was the wind direction? Depending on where it is you might "steer away" (I assume you mean yoke usage) from the wind while rolling on the ground-and once lifting off the ground you would then crab.Your landing scenerio sounds right if I am understanding your description-if you are crabbing into the wind (for instance a wind from the left) you would at some point lower the left wing and apply right rudder to keep the plane aligned with the runway centerline with no drift. If the xwinds are too strong you can exceed what the aircaft is capable of.http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/