Sign in to follow this  
Guest rnails

.dll and Directx9 experts only

Guest rnails

I posted in CTD forums but no replies. Often FSX and FS9 fail to load with the error message that I have the wrong Directx9 installed. I reinstall Directx9-Nov 2007 over April 2007 and a restart usually solves the problem. Next: When this fails I run Norton's "One button checkup" and it tells me that fsx.exe cannot access mfc80.dll and Autorun sdk/Annotator.exe cannot access msvcp80.dll. Under Program integrity scan it fixes the problem and another restart and all is well. Needless to say this is rather frustrating.The two dll files are listed in Windows/System32/SxS/... I am using XP/FSX/Sp1 period.Help please. rnails

What Norton product are you using? If it's not AntiVirus 2007 then un-install it and see what happens.

Guest fsxmissionguy

That particular file is a Visual Studio 2005 file.The question that comes to mind is: What add-ons have you installed. I think there are some scenery add-ons which are suggesting reinstallation of the Visual Studio runtime files (can't think of the exact packages at the moment. Maybe some of our scenery junkies can help here.)That file may have been corrupted somehow.(PS: Don't uninstall your antivirus software when troubleshooting.)

There is also an update for the VS2005 runtime dlls. Its linked off of the fsinsider SP1 page athttp://www.fsinsider.com/downloads/Pages/F...rvicePack1.aspxIf an add-on vendor updated their dev environment to VS2005 SP1 and inadvertantly took a dependency on the updated VS2005 runtime dlls, and then did not install these dlls as part of the add-on install - that can definitely cause problems. I blogged about this before SP1 shipped iirc.

Guest firehawk44

You are requesting help but I'm having difficulty figuring out what your problem is. In both cases you stated the problem was solved or "all is well". Does FSX still crash? I had Norton several years ago and got rid of it as it simply tried (successfully) to take over my system. I had little or no control. Now Vista, with the User Access Controls (UAC), is trying to do the same thing. That's why I have shut UAC down. If you are still getting crashes, try reinstalling DirectX but disable Norton Anti-virus first. That way your system will be able to make registry entries Norton may be blocking thinking a virus is trying to change something. If the problem continues, I strongly recommend you completely uninstall FSX and reinstall it with Norton disabled. BTW, those two .dll's come with the DirectX SDK and are a part of the DirectX download. Make sure you are downloading and installing the DirectX End-User Runtime for Nov and not just the DirectX SDK: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Browse....en&categoryid=2 Jim

Guest fsxmissionguy

Um ... yea ... what he ^ said.(Thanks for refreshing my memory Phil!) :)

Guest rnails

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Sorry Phil I do have sp1a installed. Both sims have loaded after I disabled Norton Security Works and reloaded Directx9(Nov 2007). I shut down several times and they both reloaded. Somwhere I lost Tools but the fps increased dramatically.You figure! FSX is loaded on a separate drive(F) and that presents problems for addons.Hopefully the problem has been solved. Thanks again. rnails