Sign in to follow this  
newtie

Fixing OOM by a Computer Challenged Sim Pilot

Guest TonyPiech

I'm running FSX SP2 and surprised myself to get to this level after messing with Windows Vista Ultimate a few weeks ago to get my addons to work properly. The past experience resulted in a re-install of VISTA and FSX, a laborious pain. I'm, back to FSX SP2 and my addons working properly, except for the occasional OOM on long flights. I'd like to resolve this problem and have read the thread by Markus on his solution, that got modified because SP2 solved some of the problems (I believe when viewing the entire thread).The initial post by Marcus says at the end in part: To reset the Increased User Addressspace just start the comandline prompt with Admin right again and enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2048" (do not use the ["] sign.One of the end posts in the thread by Manny says add to Boot.ini: "/3GB /userva=2560"Question(s) I have is : 1. use-- bcdedit /set IncreaseUser VA 3072 & restart Windows Then reset to: bcdedit /set IncreaseUser VA 2048 (Markus) ? 2. use Boot.ini - add: /3GB /userva=2560 (Manny) ? 3. is Boot.ini and bcdedit the same?What should I do?This is somewhat confusing to me, as I said in my title to this post, I'm a computer challange Sim Pilot, I like to fly on the computer, but I'm not super computer savy like many on this board. So, any assitance, with maybe a slightly greater degree of specificity will be appreciated. My computer specs are:Dell 710 XPS- Vista Ultimate OS2.40 Ghz Intel Core2 Quad3068MB RAM8800 GTX nVidia - 169.25 DriverDX10

Question(s) I have is :1. use-- bcdedit /set IncreaseUser VA 3072 & restart Windows Then reset to: bcdedit /set IncreaseUser VA 2048 (Markus) ?2. use Boot.ini - add: /3GB /userva=2560 (Manny) ?3. is Boot.ini and bcdedit the same?3. No.2. Use only for WinXP1. Use bcdedit /set IncreaseUser VA 3072 for VistaApply #1 only if you actually have 4MB DDR installed.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest TonyPiech

Bill thanks for trying to educate me, if I interpret your post it says that I should use bcdedit,... your No.1 .I believe that I have 4GIG of RAM,... Belarc for my computer says:3070 Megabytes Installed MemorySlot 'DIMM_1' has 1024 MB (serial number 081ABD10)Slot 'DIMM_3' has 1024 MB (serial number 081A1B12)Slot 'DIMM_2' has 1024 MB (serial number 081ABE15)Slot 'DIMM_4' has 1024 MB (serial number 0819C412)It seems I have 4GIG, when I do the math , but I have 3GIG installed.When I open the commandline with administrator rights on my computer I get:C:Windowssystem 32> I should then add: bcdedit /set IncreaseUser VA 3072 , so the line reads:C:Windowssystem32>bcdedit /set IncreaseUser VA 3072 I hit enter after that line, then I

Guest ThomasE

Hi,before trying anything else, I would load this Vista Hot Fix from Microsoft if you haven

Guest TonyPiech

Thomas, checked my system and saw that I have hotfix kb940105 already loaded, still got one OOM, the flight wasn't that long before the OOM occurred. Hoping that Bill or someone can give me a bit more assitance on the bcdedit process.

Tony-You may want to install SP1 for Vista. I have and have had no OOM crashe s at all.Mark