Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

DX10 Rain Void ?

Guest Gizmo

Agreed I think FSX has the worst rain/weather effects ive seen in a game/sim since DX8 was relased but atleast now the DX10 rain is now rendering onpar with DX9 thanks to Christianim pretty sure a 3rd party (FEX I hope)will get to replacing the whole rain/snow effects in the not to distant future & i myself am about to start work on a project(should be freeware depends on just how bad the FSX effects SDK is to work with)replacing the weak/tacky lightening effects CheersGizmo

It's a step forward from the OP's original post and what I was seeing as well. This little tweak stops the rain from creating a circular void around the aircraft. For this, I'm appreciative of Christian's work and find the results extremely satisfying.It wasn't a texture change nor was it advertised as such.Again, thanks Christian.Regards,Jim Karn

Guest cbuchner1

I think we need a dedicated "Shader Mod" forum for FSX. I have some more ideas what could be done. This forum would be fora) *collecting all shader patches* at a central place:( discussing and developing modifications (such as this)c) providing a meeting place for the technically inclined persons, without cluttering the FSX main forum.So what about:Adding athmospheric effects (light scattering) similar to the WindLight engine.Optimizing existing effects (can we make the DX9 light bloom faster?)Improve existing effects and textures (water reflections etc) and alter their appearanceWhat cannot currently be done easily isa) adding new textures or rendering passes. :( modifying or adding input arguments to the shaders that are currently provided by the FSX binary program (fsx.exe).To accomplish a) and :( we would have to hook into the DX9 API. *this is difficult, but possible!*Christian

Great work Christian !While I'm not running DX10 or Vista, it's great to see when people such as yourself with the knowledge jump in and "fix" stuff like this.I read your post some time back about editing light ray passes and increasing the constrasts etc, and I for one would look forward to seeing ideas and tweaks like this evolve.Regards'GarettPS: I have a new ANTEC SP-500 (modular cables) PS is you want it. Only used it for 2 months then updated to my 750. Have about 5 PS's laying around, but that one is the best of them.

Guest Lith1um

Nice work Christian! You make it seem effortless.I'd do backflips if you discover a fix for the flashing dx10 taxiway textures.Happy New Year.

Guest Gizmo

Good idea there Christianwe've seen a few shader hacks and mods poping up around here and at various other forums so to have them pooled into one place would be very handy Ive Been playing with the rain40.fx a little bit and found if you alter the(rgb?)values in the linereturn float4(1,1,1,In.cDiffuse.w) * (cColor0 + cColor1);toreturn float4(0,0,0,In.cDiffuse.w) * (cColor0 + cColor1);it will give you much darker rain which does'nt obscure your view as much in flight the only downside to this is it also alters the colour of the snow effect as the 2 seem to be interlinked at a shader levelCheersGizmo

Excellent work gentlemen, these shader hacks are doing some great things for the Flight Sim. I'll try out these new RGB values.

Guest cbuchner1

I think the 4 values are R, G, B and alpha.By reducing the alpha you will get more transparency.how about 0.5 times the original value? I am not sureif this is permitted syntax in the shader language, however.return float4(1,1,1, 0.5 * In.cDiffuse.w) * (cColor0 + cColor1);

Guest cbuchner1

The flashing runways *might* be so called Z fighting. That occurs when the depth buffer has not enough precision to provide a consistent result. Then small variations in the values lead to popping up of polygons (or parts thereof).For example in DX9 mode, 16 bits per pixel with scenery object ground shadows enabled I get BAD Z fighting - for example on the cruise ships docked near Key West Airport.Christian

Guest Gizmo

Doesnt seem that an extra alpha value is allowed (compile fails)but i did find that you can reduce the rgb values below 1 I found that seting 0.5 or 0.4 lowers the blend enough that i dont feel as though im in a hyperspace tunnel ;)return float4(0.5,0.5,0.5,In.cDiffuse.w) * (cColor0 + cColor1);Thanks again for your work on this CheersGizmo

>The flashing runways *might* be so called Z fighting. That>occurs when the depth buffer has not enough precision to>provide a consistent result. Then small variations in the>values lead to popping up of polygons (or parts thereof).Nota Bene: Using an ATI 2400 Pro 256 in DX10 Preview mode, I do not get the "flickering runway/taxiway" issue, nor do I seen any other of the reported artifacts nVidia 8800 series users have reported...Thanks, Christian for the Rain40 "fix..." ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest cbuchner1

how about this version? ;-) This mathematical trick willaffect only the alpha value, which will end up at 0.5 times theoriginal value.return float4(2,2,2, In.cDiffuse.w) * 0.5 * (cColor0 + cColor1);Christian