Sign in to follow this  
FTD1949

VC glass is opauqe

I have av couple of payware add ons and am unable to see out the windows when in VC mode. I know the problem is specific to SP2.Is there a fix for this or is it specific to the aircraft.Thanks,Craig Lian-Li PC60-B Case Corsair HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W Power Supply Gigabyte P35 DS3R Intel Core2Duo E6850 Arctic Cooling Freezer7 Pro Crucual Ballistix 2GB PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) EVGA 7950 GT OC 512 Mb Plextor PX-810SA/SW-BL 18X SATA DVD Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/sec Seagate Barracuda 7200.10250 GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/sec

Guest Alphahawk3

There is a fix for the Flight1 Cessna over at the Flight1 site. I have the FSX SF260....Cirrus SR22 but the VC front glass did not go opaque after SP2...other than that can't help much. Regards

Guest Stoopy

SP2 has changes in how transparencies are handled and rendered. It seems that textures that do not have a proper Alpha layer within them to control the transparency amount, yield this result. Typically this is found on some aircraft made for FS9, although there are many that don't have this issue..... it seems to depend on what techiques were used by the developer.You can wait for the developer to fix it or if you like, you can look into fixing it yourself since it's not difficult. It does require that you are able to locate the texture file(s) for the canopy (in the aircraft's texture folder(s)) and use a common free tool to modify the texture file(s) after backing them up. See this thread for reference:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...30179&mode=full

Thanks, I'll look into it. I haven't located the files related to the glass textures yet. Nothing obvious that would indicace that they are the glass textures. By the way the aircraft is the CS757 for FSX. Craig

Guest Stoopy

I don't have any Capt. Sim products (I think that's what you mean by CS right??). Anyways, since most of the texture files can't be displayed by regular Windows tools or browsers, the DXTBMP tool will stil be useful becuase it will let you open and view the files, and then you plow through them until you find the windows.If the windows are just part of a texture file that has other stuff in it, like interior parts or whatever, then it gets a little trickier becuase you may have to darken the alpha layer just where the windows are located...think of the alpha layer as a pane of glass that sits behind the texture picture, and the blacker it is in places, the more light it lets through....(backwards, yes, but what isn't these days.. ;) )Just remember to backup, backup, backup, and G'luck.

thanks again for you help and adviceLian-Li PC60-B Case Corsair HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W Power Supply Gigabyte P35 DS3R Intel Core2Duo E6850 Arctic Cooling Freezer7 Pro Crucual Ballistix 2GB PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) EVGA 7950 GT OC 512 Mb Plextor PX-810SA/SW-BL 18X SATA DVD Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/sec Seagate Barracuda 7200.10250 GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/secCraig

>>You can wait for the developer to fix it or if you like, you>can look into fixing it yourself since it's not difficult. It>does require that you are able to locate the texture file(s)>for the canopy (in the aircraft's texture folder(s)) How would you find texture files for a VC though?In the panel.cfg VC's don't reference texture files, at least I can't tell that they do. They are referencing $texturename rather than texturename.bmp....confused!!RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>How would you find texture files for a VC though?>>In the panel.cfg VC's don't reference texture files, at least>I can't tell that they do. They are referencing $texturename>rather than texturename.bmp.You won't find anything in the panel.cfg regarding "window textures," since those entries refer only to gauge polygons. The $ prefix used is a special flag telling FS to "autogenerate" the texture(s) needed dynamically.You will only find the "glass" texture(s) in one of the texture folder(s), and even then the "glass" could be either a seperate bitmap, or included as part of another bitmap.The only way to "find them" is to open each texture in Imagetool or DXTBMP and look... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Stoopy

Correct - the question goes to VC glass windows as opposed to VC glass on the gauges.Martin Wright also has a nice tool for download called "Thumbview" (or similar, maybe it's "TView")......anyway whatever it's called it will browse a folder and show a thumbnail view for all bitmap files, even those converted to DTX oR DDS that your Windows O/S can't preview. So it makes looking the window texture a lot easier and quicker.