Sign in to follow this  
Guest UlfB

How do I get rid of Stutters?

I thought I got rid of the stutters and reduced my blurres.But for some reason, both have come back... The Stutter is so distracting, I can't continue.My PCCore 2 Duo. OC to 3.3Ghz. 2Gh. have the 3/G switch to get rid of the OOM errorsGTX 8800FSX and all scenereis are in a Defragged (last night) 2 X Raptor in RAID 0. Win XPThese are the all the fSX.cfg changes I had made to reduce my stutter and blurries problem. If I remove all of these changes... I get blurries and all those neon color textures.1. FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.602. SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=603. MipBias=64. TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=305. AffinityMask=2//where// n num of cores scheduled//1 = 1 core 0001//3 = 2 cores 0011//7 = 3 cores 0111//15= 4 cores 1111I have limited my FPS to 29 and I get 25FPS.Any ideas?Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest Nils79

Hi Manny,i would suggest you to delete your FSX.cfg and let FSX rebuild a new one. And then try it without any tweaks. You can experiment with:[bUFFERPOOLS]Poolsize=6000000"5. AffinityMask=2"3=dual core. But normally, you don't need this entry. You can experiment with Frames set to unlimited or lock it to 25. And don't maximize your ai-traffic and scenery settings.Good luck!

Guest UlfB

Manny,AffinityMask = 2, is bit mask 0010, which means that FSX will only use one core. Try to comment out the AffinityMask setting or change it to 3 (0011) so that FSX uses both cores. Must be better imo.Ulf BCore2Duo X6800, 4GB RAM, BFG 8800GTXCreative SB X-Fi (Gamer mode)Vista 32 SP1 RC, FSX Acc/SP2

I searched my FSX.cfg for these settings but they are not there? Are they settings to add, if so, where please?

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest Bob Huntley

Manny,I've just been experimenting and find that I get the benefits of a high FIBER_FRAME.. setting without the drawbacks if I set it to the default 0.33, and instead set the LOD_RADIUS seting to a higher number than the defualt 4.5 set by the Scenery Tab (7.5 seems to work well in my case, but I'm using a Quad Core so you'll have to experiment). This seems to cause the ground text to pre-load to greater extent, so its not blurred when you fly over it.PS - Delete the CFG file and let SP2 build a new one before you apply any changes like this (removes any old settings).PPS - I'm also running Unlimited Frame Rate, and have Core Affinity set to 14 (i.e. like your setting it locks out Core 0 - othewise its the stock settings set by SP2).Try Unlimited Frame Rate for a while - I've come to the conclusion that it offers very little (if any) drawbacks in terms of picture quality etc. (In fact, it allowed me to move some of the scenery sliders to the right. Basically, I picked a dense area (New York), loaded up to sliders until the peak frame rate fell to about 40 FPS or so, and then just use those settings everywhere.A few posts here have suggested that this is also a multi-core system phenomena, so again your Core Duo may perform differently to my Quad)Bob,

Guest wjotten

Manny wrote: "I thought I got rid of the stutters and reduced my blurres.But for some reason, both have come back... The Stutter is sodistracting, I can't continue."Manny, somewhere in the past couple of days I read a post similar to yours, the poster had been enjoying good frame rates and no problems, then out of the blue the frame rates dropped. He had made NO changes during the interim, no changes and yet the performance of FSX dropped. The poster had gone to great lengths to un-install, re-install, defrag, re-install all his add-ons, etc. No luck he said...still had blurries, still had lowered fps. Next day, no apparent reason, everything now was back performing well. Incredible!There's simply something about this FSX that requires constant vigilance , constant tweaking. And for certain, one never knows what a single add-on might do to change it...for better or for worse. I don't know if it is the FSX program that is so inherently unstable or simply extremely sensitive to ANY changes within the computer operation, be it the operating system, or changes to background tasks or whatever. It'll drive you silly trying to fix.bill

Guest UlfB

>There's simply something about this FSX that requires constant>vigilance , constant tweaking. And for certain, one never>knows what a single add-on might do to change it...for better>or for worse. I don't know if it is the FSX program that is so>inherently unstable or simply extremely sensitive to ANY>changes within the computer operation, be it the operating>system, or changes to background tasks or whatever. It'll>drive you silly trying to fix.Yeah, it's the blurrie monster :-jumpy Hiding under your pc, and returning whenever you turn your back to FSX.Ulf B

.. and it could just be the effects of the holiday "celebrations"... :+

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest Nils79

Hi Dave,you have to add those entries to the FSX.cfg, but there is no real need for this tweaks. They are only fine tuning and not a magic thing, which will allow you to run FSX perfect with an old PC.Here you can find the explanations from Phil:http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...aks-in-sp1.aspxhttp://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...-week-or-2.aspxI think it's better to use the sliders in the settings menue, because if you get the really bad blurries and stutters, it is really a sign, that your machine is overchallenged. For configuring FSX, i had choosen New York and i used one of my add-on airplanes which gives me the worst FPS, weather theme=gray and rain and ai traffic to about 100 airplanes (enable the traffic explorer in the dll.xml and monitor your ai traffic). If you now set your sliders so that you are able to fly with the above mentioned settings in New York, you will be able to enjoy FSX world wide. You always have to consider the complexity of FSX (ai traffic+weather+scenery+water), so there will be always places where you have good FPS and there will be places/situations, where the FPS will drop dramatically because of the complexity. Sorry for my bad english and Happy new Year!

Guest F900EX

Hi.. I'm in the same boat, after trying/testing ALL the tips in david roch's thread I still have the same problem, bad stuttering> poor frame rates. Dell XPS720/4GBs Ram/Nvidia8800GTX/QX6700 IntelCore2 Extreme processor. Fresh XP install, all drivers up todate. Separate HD FSX is installed > De-fraged and TuneUp Utilities 2008 used. For me problem never happened before SP1, was hoping problem would be fixed for SP2 and its still there. I've been around and flying flight sims since the ole Flightpath 737 days on the Vic-20. So like many here been around the block with tweaking sims lol. But I don't have time for it any more, I want to enjoy to as close as I can get with using all the features a game has to offer. IE Maxing out the sliders.I can do it with any current game out atm I play. COD4/Crysis/MOHAirborne/NFSProstreet/Eve-online - and still get very respectable frame rates and most important enjoy the game without have to worry is my computer going to be able to run this game. While no PC game is perfect, in this day and age this kinda stuttering effect while playing FSX is unacceptable. It should be been addressed in SP2, as the problem was known ever since SP1 came out. I mean its one thing to have the deal with average frame rates, on settings not even close to be maxxed out on the computer that exceeds the recommend specs that MS require to run FSX, but its another thing to have the deal with this stuttering and lagging. I don't mean to come across harsh, but I see alot of others having the same problem as I and very little been done about it. So I ask Microsoft is this problem going to be addressed and if so what kinda time frame we looking at for it to be fixed. Thanks ..

Guest fundies

Follow Dave Roches installation procedure if you want stutter free/high fps fsx simming.

I don't have any stutters on my new machine-but on my old:settings of autogen/water/aitraffic (cars/boats/air traffic) along with shadows and high antialiasing settings could all cause stuttering. Turn them down -then turn them up to a level where it doesn't happen-or upgrade for the ultimate freedom! :-)http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest F900EX

>Follow Dave Roches installation procedure if you want stutter>free/high fps fsx simming.As stated in my 1st post, I have :) just like many others who still have the same problem.

I'd be willing to bet that most causes of stuttering (and many more evil symptoms) happen to those of us with _only_ 2GB of memory. I was having stuttering and pauses and finally correlated it to paging by the system. I've just switched to a fixed size page file on a different drive and so far it seems like it might have helped. I'll be looking for more memory as soon as I can.I'd be curious to find out what percentage of people who have many problems only have 2GB vs. people with great running systems and 4BG. Also if Phil or anyone at Aces has done any profiling to see how much memory you really need and what settings really use up the memory or what features might have severe memory leaks. Don

>>>I want to enjoy to as close as I can get with using all the features a game has to offer. IE Maxing out the sliders.This is a mis-conception..Enjoying means finding a reasonable balance between what your computer can handle and the level of detail you experience.As documented countless times, "all sliders to the right" is not the way to fly FSX.

Bert