Sign in to follow this  
Guest bstolle

Coolsky/Flight1 MD-80 opinions?

I picked up the MD-80 last night ad really like it. I could do without the OOM errors, but hopefully I ca fix that by messig with the Autogen slider (had it up pretty high).It seems like a nice aircraft, and I really the way they did the on-screen walkthroughs of the checklists and whatnot.Thanks for the recommendations, everybody. :-beerchug

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Bit of an 'open' question really, but how does it compare to the Maddog 2006?Thanks

Wow it still has OOM errors? I bought the FS9 version last year and while I loved the plane itself I couldn't complete most long range flights because of OOM errors. I got so frustrated I returned it to Flight1 for a refund. First time I ever used their generous return policy. Such a shame as it is an outstanding plane.

Guest PPSFA

I have flown this plane 100's of hours and never had a OOM error, either with this plane or any other in FSX. Sounds like a system problem, not a plane problem.

I've logged extensive hours in Flight 1's MD80. Unfortunately, every flight beyond roughly 1 hour flying time ends with an OOM error for me. Tried this and tried that, to no avail. Most of my Maddog flights are now done with "the other" Maddog, which is also great but doesn't have a virtual cockpit. ricardo

Two things, guys: Angelique Van Kampen did a super write-up and included a good number of comments on the differences between the two:- http://www.avsim.com/pages/1107/Super80/Super80.htmand secondly, regarding the OOM errors - it's really a matter of managing XP's memory: I run 2 gig and whereas I did get two OOM's early on - I discovered some fixes on this (AVSIM) site, which I followed and was successful:-"I just added "/fastdetect /3GB /userva=2560"So, my boot.ini now has this line:-multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /3GB /userva=2560I take no credit for this, but I can't find the original post, and so any credit goes to the guys at AVSIM for allowing us to help each other! (Yucchhh! Honey, butter and sugar or what?). There are also Microsoft articles on these parameters, too.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

>Sounds like a system problem, not a plane problem.It's both. If you look at the Windows Task Manager when the Super 80 is loaded, you can see that it's using much more storage than other planes, typically up to and beyond the 2MB boundary.It is a problem that is acknowledged by Flight 1 / Coolsky. Here's a quote from the official forum:-"It looks like the root of the out-of-memory (OOM) issue has finally been found. FS9 and FSX simply can not limit themselves to the 2 GB memory limitation of 32-bit applications. When the addon or sim asks for more memory than the operating system can give it, you get an OOM error and your flight is over. Note that this is virtual memory. Whether you have 1 GB or 4 GB physical RAM installed, FS still needs to deal with the 2 GB limitation of 32-bit applications.So, why does the Super 80 seemingly suffer more from OOM errors than other addons? The Super 80 is a highly complex and graphics intensive addon. There are other complex addon aircraft out there, but the volume of graphics required to run the animations in the Super 80 cockpit surpasses most other addons. The Super 80 requires more memory than most other addon aircraft, thus it will reach the 2 GB limitation sooner."See http://s80.flight1.net/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=2145 for more.Petraeus

Petraeus

I am going to run some tests with different graphics settings and see how this affects the OOM issue.Regarding the boot.ini fix posted earlier, doesn't that fix work for this OOM issue but also (possibly) adversely affect other programs?

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Hi Shane; I had the OOM error with both the Eaglesoft Citation II and the CS MD80 on any flight over about an hour: since this mod there have been no oom errors, nor any other issues. A week or so ago I purchased the ATI/ASUS EAH3870 gpu, and then rebuilt the sim according to David Roch's post, with SP1 & 2. She has been absolutely magnificent since then. I wasn't complaining before, but my water and traffic were not where I wanted them with the 1950XTX. One thing you might try is to reduce the texture sizes, ala Matt Fox's mods. They are still valid, as 512 x 512 takes up much less memory than 1024 x 1024. I didn't do it this time 'round, but I may.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/182726.jpg

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

>Its especially cool if you fly in shared cockpit and split>the duties :-)Uhh, I thought you could not do shared cockpit in the more complex add-on aircraft which use own variables etc internally. Please tell me how well sharing works with this plane, I can't really imagine the two systems involved will be synced at all. But I might be wrong. *:-* In fact would be great if I were.Cheers, :-beerchugEtienne :-wave

Guest PPSFA

We have been doing the shared cockpit thing for months with the MD80... there are a few things that don't work, but 90% does...it's just a matter of experimenting and finding workarounds.

Is anyone flying the Coolsky/F1 MD-80 on a Vista64 system?RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

It is a .PDF file. there is a printed manual included that is <30 pages. the actual ops manual is on the cd.what you do get though is a nice panel familiarization sheet. this makes it easy to identify any gauge/switch.

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX