Sign in to follow this  
Guest petemaxkoller

Aircraft Reccomendations

Guest Vince333

Hopefully you can stear me in the right direction...I've been away for a while and not up on the latest and greatest...I'm looking for a "heavy" for FSX..Since I'm a moderate simmer, I'll need one that comes with a "GOOD/ACCURATE" tutorial...Something along the line of PSS767 or PNDG 737NG.... I've purchased most all of them in the past for FS02/04, etc..Thanks in advance..Vince

Guest UlfB

Vince,PSS is out of business.PNDG is called PMDG nowadays and have an excellent 747 FSX. Go get it. You may also check out the LevelD 767 for FSX.Ulf B

Guest bstolle

The 737 is not a heavy so if you are generally talking about jet transport aircraft I would highly recommend the coolsky/flight1 md80.Much easier on the framerate than the Level-D 767 or the PMDG 747, and at least as realistic!Plus it has a fully integrated cockpit training system.Strange enough it's way cheaper than the other two as well.RegardsBerntCapt 767

The short answer: Good heavies are the 747 from PMDG, the 767 from Level-D and the Airbus Series from Wilco.The long answer: Unless you have a quad-core, 3+ GHz CPU, I wouldn't even bother running a complex add-on on FSX. With my setup, I manage to squeeze out 6-10 fps in dense areas whereas I can get easily 30+ fps with FS9 (with 100% traffic, plus UT, GE, FE, AS, XPax). FSX for GA flights with stock aircraft is acceptable with about 20-25 fps, but heavies just don't measure up (yet, for me) in terms of framerates.Recommendation: Stay with FS9 for the heavies. It works, looks stunning with add-ons and is immensely fun, no tweaking, no frustrations, no fps "hunting".Pat

Guest bstolle

>Unless you have a quad-core, 3+ GHz CPU, I wouldn't even bother running a complex add-on on FSX.I don't have the above mentioned equipment but the coolsky md80 is VERY easy on the frames as I mentioned above. The CS C-130 is a complex addon as well and the FSX version runs faster and smoother on my pc than the fs9 version in fs9.BTW, I've no cfg tweaks at all applied. FSX with acceleration straight out of the box (+ FSGenesis mesh).RegardsBerntCapt 767

As far as I know, the currently released pack of the CS C-130 doesn't have a glass cockpit or an FMS and isn't nearly as complex (in the base pack FSX version, judging from the description) as a PMDG, Level-D or Wilco add-on.Pat

"True" aircraft models will have better performance in FSX than port-overs. Granted this does not mean they will always have great performance, rather, it means that they should have better performance than a counterpart not completed solely for FSX.I do not own the Coolsky MD-80 yet (I will be purchasing it), but it might be useful to know that when you purchase that aircraft I do believe you get the FS2004 version as well as the FSX version at no additional charge. Also, IIRC, the LDS 767 FSX version is not free if you purchase the FS2004 version first, but there is a pretty sizable discount to those who own the previous version.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

I sure with this one was out, PMDG 747. But it will most likely be another year.

Guest Vince333

Thank you all for the great replies...!!!! Very much appreciated.I'm going to definetly check out the Coolsky/Flight1 MD80 along with Level-D's 767. As for the 747's their not one of my favorites but an excellent suggestion, thank you.Quad -core chips...I just slapped this box (below) together and I have just about every slider maxed out, no added scenery, etc. and I'm getting excellent smoothness/framerates. I have zero complaints with FSX except that it doesnt support FS Navigator....and that is not good for me.New boxIntel cire 2 Duo E6750Asus P5K Premium P35+ICH9GeForce 8800GT 512Mb PCIe5 Gb DDR2 667Two 250 Sata 7200 (for dual boot XP/Vista) P.S. I also loaded FS9 and ran it on this box and was amazed at how smooth it ran...frame rates were through the roof...Thanks again for the suggestions...Vince

Guest jourdog

cls makes pretty good stuff as well

>The 737 is not a heavy Why not? What does "heavy" refer too? I always thought that meant airliners, etc...

Guest thx1137

I did a quick search and found that a 'heavy' is assigned to an aircraft over 255,000lbs gross weight. A 737-900 is only around 164,000lbs.Steven.

Guest LtRob

I have to ask: Can you capture your slider settings and give some representative screenshots and the frame rates your getting with 5+ GHz? That seems pretty amazing.Rob

You won

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home