Sign in to follow this  
aerdt

Recommended procedures for FSX on brand new Vista PC.

Guest horizonflyer

I'm planning on purchasing a new PC this week and finally installing FSX. This will be a high-end gaming machine w/ at least a 512 video card, Dual Core 3.0, 3MB RAM, Vista Home Premium, etc...) This PC will mainly be used only for FSX, I do not have FSX loaded on my current machine.I was wodering what some of you that have already purchased new machines, and loaded FSX, can recommend once I have the machine up, running, and ready to go, as far as step to take to get the best possible restuls out of FSX, here's what I am planning so far:1 - Update Vista, all drivers, McAfee, etc..2 - Install FSX, then SP1, then SP23 - Install latest version of FSUPIC (I assume this is still needed)4 - Tweak FSX as needed5 - Download payware programs (PMDG, FS Commander, FSInn, NavData, updates, etc..)Beyond that not sure at this point, I am sure there are more issues I need to address as FSX seems very needy - lol. Please care to comment as any help would be appreciated.Thanks,Tom

Sounds like a solid plan, but I think you can leave FSUPIC. I have planty of 3rd party add-ons and none requires FSUPIC. From what I read it seems to cause more trouble than it's worth (for add-ons, I am not talking about extended features like weather, input devices, etc.).For Vista, you will definitely want to disable the indexing services (huge resource hog) and probably disable UAC (annoying, useless).This website is a wealth of information and a must-read in my eyes:http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.htmlPat

1 - that's right2 - Install FSX, run FSX and quit, then SP 1, run FSX and quit, then SP3 - FSUIPC...? I don't have it and have no need for it...4 - be prepared... ;) Although I have to say that right now I only added mipbias = 6 to my cfg (and can't really say if it makes a difference) and changed the Shift-Z infotext (which is no real tweak), but thats all, really... All the other 'tweaking' is simply done with the ingame options (change them until you get the right graphics quality/performance ratio). Well, setting up your videocard the right way is part of tweaking too, of course.5 - or simply enjoy what FSX offers you. The only addon I currently use, is the RealAir SF260. Don't buy too much too quick!

Guest ziporama

Vista 32 or 64?I'm asking because you will get OOM issues with the PMDG under Vista 32 more than you will under XP. I highly recommend Vista 64 and 4Gb. On my system, FSX uses between 1.3 to 1.8 gigs of memory, especially with the PMDG 744X or the LevelD 767.As far as FSUIPC, it depends what you want to do. I now primarily use it for its sophisticated joystick interface to map controls (I disable joystick input in FSX). I found that it is one of the few ways to fine tune inputs into FSX. In particular, the ability to map inputs to different devices based on the plane loaded is wonderful, as I can remap my throttle quadrant to a two engine turboprop situation to a four engine jet, or switch to a HOTAS setup for fighters or helicopters extremely easily. It may be worthwhile to you.Cheers,Etienne

I would not recommend Vista 64 in any way. The benefits are negligible, driver and 3rd party support is spotty or at worst, non-existent and in the end you could face a total re-install, because some itty-nitty program malfunctions on 64-Bit. Additionally, more than 4GB of RAM is absolute overkill at this point in my eyes.In fact, if there is no need for a Vista installation, I'd recommend XP in a heart beat.Pat