Sign in to follow this  
maxter

DO NOT Reinstall FSX as per David Roch

Just a small warning.If you have FS9 installed, following David Roch's well-meant instructions will mess up your FS9 installation. Am now going through the long process of finding out what to do.Thing are unbelievably fouled up. Incredible!Microsoft Aces, bless their hearts, ...Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

I strongly suspect something was done incorrectly, as I certainly didn't have any such problems...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Bill, you may be right. But I did follow the instruction set exactly.This message IS NOT a dig at David. It is only a warning to those who have FS9 & FSX installed together and who want to avoid a potential disaster. (I vaguely recall others who have had troubles with the FS9 installation while doing a complete uninstall of FSX...anyone?)I lost the registry to FS9 and the "USER/AppData/Roaming/FS9" files. Not sure what else yet. Still working on this. I'll post when I figure out how to recover completely. (Did a system restore to get the "Roaming" files back.) Minimally, I'd recommend backing up the system files for FS9 as well as for FSX.Best,Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

The simplest solution is to place FS9 CD#1 in the drive and choose "Repair." This will correctly add back the missing Registry entries, as well as any other files that need replacing.It is "non-destructive," meaning that it won't affect any addons at all.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

That's a shame, because it worked perfectly well for me... My MSFS installation with SP1/SP2/DX10 has never worked better.Cheers,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern Australia

Just to add my 2-cents worth. I have FS9 and FSX installed in folders side by side - of course in the same partition - and run both SEPARATELY and ALTERNATELY, with no complications.Abe

>The simplest solution is to place FS9 CD#1 in the drive and>choose "Repair." This will correctly add back the missing>Registry entries, as well as any other files that need>replacing.>>It is "non-destructive," meaning that it won't affect any>addons at all.Can you do that to repair FSX too?L.Adamson

I followed my instructions and didn't have problems either :--)))))))

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Me too, David - and many thanks for it! My FSX/SP1 with 2 has never been so good!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

What insructions are you guys refereing too? Sound intersting but I'm lost.... :(