Sign in to follow this  
spilok

New Cheyenne plays "havoc" with my system.

I really love flying the new Digital Aviation Cheyenne. However, it really causes issues for me within FSX. First of all, it takes forever to load. Secondly, once you fly it, and then try to switch to a new aircraft, the system hangs and I have to CtlAltDel to get out of FSX altogether. Several times I got an FMS Error message after exiting FSX and it also said, "Unable to open userwpt.txt". Again, this is a very realistic, enjoyable plane to fly, but when I involve it in my flying session, it really causes problems. I have tried to get on the Digital Aviation Forum, but because I had been inactive there for awhile, I got an email that said I have to be re-activated. I'm still waiting for that to happen. So, that's why I posted here...maybe I could get some advice if it has happened to you. My computer specs are below, and I maintain my system very well.

Switching between complex aftermarket aircraft can frequently cause problems. Although I personally recommend exiting and restarting FSX you can try ending your present flight and going back to the selection window and then setting up a new flight with whichever aircraft you want to fly with. There are many variables associated with the use of a specific aircraft that don't always translate when switching to a different aircraft. Many simmers think that since the default aircraft will easily switch out in flight that complex aftermarket aircraft should also. You can't have both wishes though, if you want more complex, realistic depictions of the aircraft you also have to live with the limitations this can place on the sim. If you want to jump to different aircraft in flight, stay with default or similar basic add ons.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

The recommendation is to load the Cheyenne from the default C172, and when switching planes, I ususally first switch back to the C172.. that does seem to work.When you get onto the DA forum, you'll see that the main issues users have, are with the Trimble unit, and the configurator not saving, for which there is a workaround.

Bert

Thanks for the input. I guess the answer is to fly the Cheyenne, and stay with the Cheyenne (or any other complicated aircraft for that matter). Switching aircraft is only seamless when working with the simple default models. I'm OK with that.Thanks again.Stan