Sign in to follow this  
Guest firehawk44

Anisotropic filtering: driver setting doesn't matter...?

This is actually a crop of a screen capture, so it is at full size..Either way, it does look from your picture as if AF is not doing it's thing. Not sure if this is a video driver setting or an FSX issue..

Bert

Aha, okay, so it is full size. ;) But yes, that's what I thought too: my AF doesn't exactly do what it should do. Well, I guess there are numerous possible reasons for this... I feel a lot of testing coming up... Sigh again. ;)

Guest firehawk44

"All my settings are lower than yours already, apart from water, which I have at High 2x, but there isn't any water in sight right here. My nVidia settings are even WAY lower. And since this problem occurs after loading a paused flight, I don't see how your settings could make things better... "J van E: According to NVIDiA, the FSX display driver settings should not be changed. They were set by NVIDIA to provide the best rendering/display for FSX based on their testing. So I would leave your NVIDIA display settings alone. You're just going to get more and more frustrated. Just click reset defaults and you'll be back to what NVIDIA Techs recommend. As others have already recommended, I would reset your display settings to the default for each tab, then "tweak" by turning off autogen and, if maxed out, lower the level of detail setting to Medium. I would also turn off all the stuff under the Traffic tab and see if that removes some of the blurry textures.Best regards,Jim

I followed all the nvidia recs-until I got the 8800 gt card.Better fps and unbelievable graphics going outside their recs and maxing everything-perhaps their recs are updated about as fast as their drivers...still waiting for better ones..http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

>J van E: According to NVIDiA, the FSX display driver settings>should not be changed. They were set by NVIDIA to provide the>best rendering/display for FSX based on their testing. AFAIK The FSX-preset is nothing but 'use default': it has no specific settings. And since the driver defaults (after installing) to most things off (no AF and no FSAA), I don't think this will do me any good... But I will have another look at it.Apart from that, even with no traffic at all and no autogen at all, I get this blurry texture right after (let me repeat that again) loading the paused flight. At that moment everything should be as good as it can be, which it is not. This has nothing to do with textures not loading due to heavy strain on the system! Last week I was able to fly with an average of 20-25 all over the place and no blurries like this at all. It is only after re-installing FSX that things have gone wrong!

Guest j0nx

The image quality with fsx AND fs9 with the current crop of video card drivers from nvidia is abysmal. MS/Aces should be ashamed for letting nvidia do this to their games. If I were Phil and Aces I would be on the horn 24/7 with nvidia throwing around my weight to get them to solve these issues. Time to make a stern stance against nvidia and their incompetence guys. Nvidia has almost single handedly destroyed vista as it is since they were so late with drivers that actually worked that most people didn't consider upgrading until just recently. I have no shimmering problems or profile problems of any sort in any other game that i play other than both flight sims. Time to get tough on these guys Aces!

Hi , I use 16X AF with no autogen, 8800GTX SLI,169.25, even I have 14.6 FPS at KLAX but it still flyable , in return I got no blurries, I still use SP1, Dell 30" really help with resolution 2560X1600,because of 150k limitation the picture is not as good as the original snap shot.Jimmy

Intel® Core™ i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz (Turbo 4.7GHz), 2TB Patriot ViperVP4100 NVMe M.2 SSD , 3TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD, 64GB DDR4/3000MHz Quad ChMemory, EVGA GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ FTW3 HYDRO COPPER GAMING 8GB GDDR6 (Custom Water Block), Samsung QLED 32”, Windows 98😀

I won't fly without 16xAF, as the in game AF looks horrible compared to 16x. I also can't go without suprsample AA these days either. With an 8800 there is no reason not to use 16xAF.

Guest Lith1um

Agreed, 16x AF and 8xS SuperSampling AA is the way to go with an 8800.Solar, why not post links to those aa comparison screenies you took a ways back. Some may find them interesting.

Sure. I might make a new comparison, as I didn't test with 4xS or 8xS, but at least this shows how supersampling is superior to the normal AA modes. The first set shows 16xAA, which is the highest setting you can chose in the nvidia driver/control panel, and two supersampling modes, 2x and 4x.Since supersampling causes such a performance hit you can select 4xS or 8xS supersampling, which combines modes for the benefits of supersampling without such a performance hit. As Lith1um pointed out, 8xS is the sweet spot for an 8800. Pay particular attention to the red lines and lettering. http://sio.midco.net/FTP4/comparison.jpgThis set shows 4x supersampling and 16xAA at a 1.25 zoom. I accidentally resampled the image when I zoomed in, so the edges are soft, but you can stil see that even 4x supersampling is superior to the normal 16x AA. http://sio.midco.net/FTP4/comp2.jpgUsing nHancer is easy. Just download and install. Then open nHancer and make your selections through the nHancer panel rather than the nvidia panel. nHancer automatically over rides the nvidia control panel settings. http://www.nhancer.com/

Wow. the difference is impressive!!! I sure will give 4x supersampling a try. But er... there is no 'direct' option called 4x supersampling. Not 4xS or 8xS...I can choose (in nHancer):- Multisampling 2x, 4x and 8xQ and I can choose - Coverage Sample 8x, 16x and 16Q. Beneath this all is an option called Multi- OR Super- Transparency AA. So I guess my best bet is to choose Multisampling 4x PLUS enable Super Transparency AA...? Or maybe Coverage Sample 8x PLUS Super Transparency AA...? (As far as I know Coverage Sample 8x hardly costs you fps compared to Multisample 4x). BTW Just as with AF, which doesn't seem to have an effect in FSX (in my case, hence this topic), I wonder if FSAA does have an effect... To me it seems that no matter what I select, the FSAA is always the same in FSX...

4x supersampling will be unuseable unless you have 8800 SLI, so you'd want to go for 8xS, which is actually described in text area on this image. But this is what it should look like, and how you would want to configure it for an 8800. So you should have a supersampling choice as seen here, and once clicked you should have the 8xS option available. One thing with nHancer is you need to have a version that works with the video driver you are using. When I checked a couple weeks ago nHancer wasn't working with the latest nvidia driver, so I'm still using the 169.09 driver with nHancer 2.3.2... http://sio.midco.net/FTP4/nhancer.jpg

Aha, okay, clear. I went to the nHancer site and the pictures there were totally different and did not show 4xS and so on. All is clear now. Thanks!