Sign in to follow this  
bkeske

Need some help with texture issue

Since installing SP2, I have some issues with some of my FS9 'patched' aircraft for use in FSX.Particularly my Carenado aircraft panels. When in the VC, as soon as I turn on my ext. nav/becon/stop lights, I get a 'flash' around some of the gauges (this is actually very 'shiny' and stands out quite predominantly if the light hits the panel 'just right'). It is particularly noticeable within panels I retrofitted, thus have 'gaps' where the default gauges/radios were located.Here is a couple screenies:With lights off...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/182721.jpgAnd with the nav/becon/or stobe lights turned on...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/182723.jpgI have tried modifying the various 'L' bmp files, and creating DXT3 files with different alpha channel colors (white/black/grey) without success.If I have missed the answer to this previously, I apologize for a repeat on the subject.

>Since installing SP2, I have some issues with some of my FS9>'patched' aircraft for use in FSX.>>Particularly my Carenado aircraft panels. When in the VC, as>soon as I turn on my ext. nav/becon/stop lights, I get a>'flash' around some of the gauges (this is actually very>'shiny' and stands out quite predominantly if the light hits>the panel 'just right').-SNIP->>If I have missed the answer to this previously, I apologize>for a repeat on the subject.> This is an "SP2 induced" problem. It seems that any VC parts that are not textured( I believe that is the correct phrase ) will become "reflective" when ANY light is turned on. I see this phenomena on many of the FS9 imported aircraft after installing SP2. They were absolutely FINEwith FSX RTM and SP1.In some cases I was able to circumvent these "SP2 induced" reflectiveproblems by changing the "Background color=0,0,0" statement in thepanel.cfg "Vcockptxx" sections to "Backgound color = 1,1,1" orsome other color that closely matches the surrounding areas.Suposedly FSX-SP2 "compliant" aircraft will not suffer from this problem but they seem to be too few and far between.... Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Ahhhh...good hint here Paul, I'll have to do some experimenting later.I would imaging I coluld bring up the .bmp into PhotoShop and figure out the numerical color value for the panel itself...at least get close.

Whelp, as this turned out to be the infamous 'holes' within the Carenado VC model, the only way to get rid of this was to move and re-size the gauges/radios...including most all the defaults, as literally everything needed a bit of tweaking.

Ah yes. As I recall, they used the Alpha channel to create "holes" (really, just transparent areas) on the panel's texture sheet.Unfortunately, any emissive lighting (xxx_L.bmp) applied will become opaque instead of transparent when lights are turned on....

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

What is amazing Bill, is how far off even the default gauges were within these 'holes' I'm re-working the 182RG right now, and it is fairly surprising the tweaking I am having to do. That said, I'm certainly not blaming Carenado here, as pre SP2, these areas just showed up 'black' if a gauge did not take up the space, or the .bmp texture took precedent, as it was (most the time) black within these areas where radios/gauges would be placed. (plus the fact that these aircraft are 'sold as'/'stated as' patched FS9 models).I tried modifying the 'xxx'_L.bmp files by creating alpha channels, hoping to solve it that way, but I believe these 'holes' are not actually part of the actual .bmp files, but within the VC model itself. Thus, any .bmp file changes are actually ignored...in other words, the 'holes' rule...unless of course an actual gauge is palced within the space.I thought about how I could create 'blank' gauges and simply fill in the gaps, but I think my method of re-sizing the gauges/radios is a more simple solution right now.