Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

MY TIP FOR LOW END PC'S

Guest davejh

Having tried all the known tweeks for 18 months, I am now enjoying fsx like never before. And my tip is that when you fly over cities ect, and want to enjoy the eye candy, just run the sim at half speed in the options menu, and when you are back out in the wilds, run at full speed again.Dave H.PC P4 3.06ht 2gig ram Gainward 7800gs 512k 160g HD.Crap really!!

Guest JIMJAM

Want to get rid of the blurries. Start flying only at night.

Guest tmilton

>Can you be more specific about what you mean by half speed?>He means the rate. You can speed up or reduce the rate of the simulation in the menu. You can also press "R" on the keyboard and then hit the "-" or "+" key immediately after to slow down or increase the rate respectively.I've never slowed down the rate before in the sim, but I do sometimes increase the rate to 4X or 8X when on very long flights, just to get to my destination faster. Now don't you wish you could do that in real life! :(

Guest pulseox

I do something kind of similar. When taxiing at an airport-either before takeoff or after landing-I set the scenery to "high" levels. I get about 7-8 fps - but it really dosen't matter so much when youre just taxxing. At the holding point before takeoff=I set it all back to default. I get about 40-70 fps with that but lose all the ground scenery-but at that point it's all airplane performance that counts.

Guest wjotten

I've found that flying in 'windowed' mode, and shrinking the window down to 148 pixels by 192 pixels resolution (gives me a window about 1/3 larger than a postage stamp) gets me pretty good frame rates. We may be onto something here. Add this tip to the one about flying at night to avoid the blurries and I can foresee some real gains! I'll bet limiting my flying to either over the mid-Pacific ocean or over Antartica should help too. More hints like these please...we'll finally tweak FSX and get it performing like a champ.bill

Guest JIMJAM

Another one.....Dump the PMDGs,Level Ds and the ton of stuff from Flight One.Then....... Fly nothing but ABACUS!!!You will get great FPS and their stuff actually look better with the blurries.Or do like me and buy the Captain Sim C-130X.Since I cannot run SP2 and it doesnt work with SP1, I have no use for it at all so I actually GAIN performace simply for not using it.Cost ya $60 bucks but still cheaper than a upgrade.

This is a very interesting tip from the op! What an ingenious way to make old equipment (in equivalent dog years) perform. However, after using fsx on my low end now 5 year old machine ( transfered to my wife who has no need for speed) I can only recommend upgrading (not to the latest and greatest-but one step below), at a 1/4 of the cost that it would have cost 10 years ago-and enjoy...I am flying Level D's, Md80's, Eaglesoft, Real air, and ton's of stuff from Flight one, -utx,fex,gex,asx and every other combination and permutation of the word fsx at mostly 25-40 fps= molto enjoyment. Looking forward to all the stuff that seems to be avalanching now that sp2 is final.http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/