Sign in to follow this  
Mace

Seasons

Guest Pilot533

Is there an updated seasons file anywhere that fixes the problem that florida has in fsx, where winter textures are displayed?

Cloud9 has a landclass product which contains a season.bgl, and it may correct this. Most folks disable it though, as it seems a bit unrealistic farther up north.Not sure, but it may be something you want to check into.

>Is there an updated seasons file anywhere that fixes the>problem that florida has in fsx, where winter textures are>displayed?Look for Scott Smart's seasons_test_file.zip in the AVSIM file libary. It might help Florida, but I do not know that for a fact.Also, I have fixed a small part of Florida (the Everglades) using a seasons bgl file that I made myself. If you want it, and if I can locate it, and the filesize is small, I might attach it later on here.Fixing all of Florida is something I have wanted to do but haven't had the time. In real life, all of Florida is fairly green in winter. All the way north to Valdosta, Georgia in fact. By the time you get to Atlanta and Birmingham, it's brown and wintry looking in real life, however.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>>Is there an updated seasons file anywhere that fixes the>>problem that florida has in fsx, where winter textures are>>displayed?>>Look for Scott Smart's seasons_test_file.zip in the AVSIM file>libary. It might help Florida, but I do not know that for a>fact.>Umm... thanks, but that file is designed just to test / view the season textures, without having to guess what seasons is in effect. It was never designed to fix or provide a "production" season map.The main use for it is with addon texture sets, to see what they look like in different seasons.I think the GEX winter textures don't look too bad. But, if you look at the default seasons file, I have never understood why there is a swath of summer texture definition through Florida (I mean, is there some unique winter thing in Sarasota or Naples?). If someone has a better idea what it should look like, I could easily provide a custom seasons file to suit.Seasons coverage for 1-31 Jan (gray=winter, yellow=spring, green=summer)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/182778.jpgscott s..

I too have wondered about the winter patch in the western everglades in Florida. That's why I fixed it with my little seasons bgl file I made.Really, there should be green up to the Florida/Georgia border. And the nice thing about FSX is that we can have a finer grain for the boundary, so that the boundary is not stark brown-to-green. It can be gradual.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

Guest Pilot533

Yeah it seems awfully silly the way the seasons.bgl defines florida, thats exactly what it looks like from top down view, scott. Just as rhett said, Florida should never change the way it looks, all year its green. If i knew anything about how to edit bgl's I would do it myself. This has always been such a big thing for me, anytime in the winter I want to fly to florida I have to reset the season to summer and the time 3 or 4 hours back. And Rhett, thanks for the offer, if you get a chance to send me your file my email address is APilot53@aol.com . And scott if you could make an updated bgl you would be doing the community a huge favor, I would even be willing to pay for it.

Well I guess after yesterday, maybe Florida should have hard winter :), but I will do a little work on it.scott s..

Guest Pilot533

Much appreciated Scott.

Guest Pilot533

Awesome, just awesome. Ive been wanting something simple like this for years. Everyone who owns fsx should have this file! Thanks alot.

Scott's file covers the area mine covered, plus more. So you don't really need my files.A lot of people don't realize, that seasons bgl's are one cause for the brown airport background textures that so many people complain about.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett